Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Representative Ralston did us in once again. He's back up to his old tricks this time pulling a Casey Cagle in holding up a bill (a very tame bill at that) from being brought to the floor for a vote even with several representatives asking just that during Sine Die. Later, Ralston would go on to say this:
https://soundcloud.com/user-451902660%2Fhouse-speaker-talks-about-major-gun-legislation-not-passing-2021-general-assembly

He has been a thorn in gun rights side for a few years now. This is from Georgia Carry, I hope they are ok with me posting this. BTW, if you are not a member then join right away as they have done more for Georgia's gun rights than anyone else. Don't think about it, go right now and join!

This is not an April Fool's joke. HB 218 was allowed to die in the House last evening without receiving a vote.

It is apparent that the leadership in the General Assembly, especially the leadership in the House cares not for your vote as a gun owner. Apparently, they feel they can win elections and remain in the majority without us. They are treating us as if they want us to realize and understand that as well.

Recent General Assembly results:

• 2018 - Passed nothing because Speaker Ralston decided they were just too tired to pass another gun bill, after passing three gun bills in 2017.
  • 2019 - Passed nothing because Speaker Ralston was afraid of losing the House and would therefore not be able to control redistricting in 2020.
  • 2020 - Speaker Ralston - Same excuse.
  • 2021 - Speaker Ralston refused to call HB 218 for a floor vote with 4 of the sponsors standing in front of the podium asking for the bill to be called for a floor vote. Speaker Ralston appears to be concerned that passing a gun bill would hurt the suburban vote. It would appear that he believes that the liberal suburban vote, which the Republicans have never really had, is worth more than the millions of gun owners and their families in this state.

We all know that the bill would have passed had it gotten to the floor for a vote. There is only one person responsible for HB 218 not getting a floor vote.

And, if things continue, next year's excuse will be that it is an election year and we can't afford to pass a gun bill for fear of losing those same liberal votes.

The sad fact is that there are many Representatives and Senators that are true Second Amendment supporters and would vote for a good gun bill, given the opportunity to do so. It would be unfair to blame them for HB 218's failure to pass.

We ask all of you to contact the Speaker of the House, David Ralston and ask him why he failed to bring HB 218 to the floor for a vote. His contact information is below. He needs to know that we are not happy with him. However, we need to let him know that in a polite manner.

David Ralston's contact information:
332 State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
[email protected]
Office: (404) 656-5020
Fax: (404) 656-5644

As always, be polite and to the point in your conversations with your elected officials, whether via phone, email or in face-to-face meetings and only discuss one bill in each email or phone call.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,056 Posts
He has been a thorn in gun rights side for a few years now. This is from Georgia Carry, I hope they are ok with me posting this. BTW, if you are not a member then join right away as they have done more for Georgia's gun rights than anyone else. Don't think about it, go right now and join!
Then get some members together and set up a table at a gun show or 2 and try some recruiting. Spend a few bucks ( I'm dayum sure some around here could share a Franklin for that) to get some pamphlets printed outlining the activities and purposes of the organization. Maybe a sign to put up over the table to let other visitors know of the organization.

Might be able to send a couple people or 400 to Atlanta to speak with the slowpokes who run out of time. It really makes a difference when I go with 8 gents and 4 ladies to some state legislators office and tell them-- I am here for VCDL and we have 45 thousand voting members and want to let you know we are disappointed (or pleased) in your gun legislation politics. Also, so you know we had 7200 members on the day Northam was elected and we would like you to do A, B, and C for reasons M, N and O. Do not do X, Y, and Z for reasons P, Q, and R. Here is a summary of the supporting factual information on this and a longer detailed analysis.

Just a thought for you guys down there.

Nemo

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
Mealy-mouthed lying politician. He says they "ran out of time" but then gives the real answer-- that two mass-murderers have made national headlines recently, so he doesn't want the GOP to do anything pro-gun. Too controversial.

Maybe the next time a latino / hispanic advocacy group lobbies for something important to them, he can scan the newspapers for the last few weeks and say "Sorry, but a bunch of HIspanics were just arrested for trafficking 30 kilos of meth in Lawrenceville last week. This isn't a good time to talk about hiring more bilingual teachers in public schools, or declaring a Cesar Chavez day on the last day in March.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Then get some members together and set up a table at a gun show or 2 and try some recruiting. Spend a few bucks ( I'm dayum sure some around here could share a Franklin for that) to get some pamphlets printed outlining the activities and purposes of the organization. Maybe a sign to put up over the table to let other visitors know of the organization.

Might be able to send a couple people or 400 to Atlanta to speak with the slowpokes who run out of time. It really makes a difference when I go with 8 gents and 4 ladies to some state legislators office and tell them-- I am here for VCDL and we have 45 thousand voting members and want to let you know we are disappointed (or pleased) in your gun legislation politics. Also, so you know we had 7200 members on the day Northam was elected and we would like you to do A, B, and C for reasons M, N and O. Do not do X, Y, and Z for reasons P, Q, and R. Here is a summary of the supporting factual information on this and a longer detailed analysis.

Just a thought for you guys down there.

Nemo
GCO actually copied many VCDL successes early on and had success. Still do most gun shows too. A few things needed distinctly GA twists but still brought people in. The problem is we hit a wall of “It’s all good, we got enough, conservatives are in power“ and some members drifted away. Big pushes in person have been...difficult with current CDC guidelines. I expect 2022 will be, um, more lively?

I think the Republicans burned lots of political capital on the voting bills in a feeble attempt to keep Georgia red and I fear that action cost us a big opportunity at a gun bill in a very purple state.

·
Cross-drawer
7,139 Posts
Cagle was a snake. I don't believe Ralston is a snake, but I do think he's full of poop.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,056 Posts
GCO actually copied many VCDL successes early on and had success. Still do most gun shows too. A few things needed distinctly GA twists but still brought people in.
You have to recruit from the crowd you get.

The problem is we hit a wall of “It’s all good, we got enough, conservatives are in power“ and some members drifted away. Big pushes in person have been...difficult with current CDC guidelines. I expect 2022 will be, um, more lively?
Hope so, But 2 words to help get them to sign up-- Stephanie Abrams.

And work on that Lobby Day idea. Try to organize it quietly and show up after phone calls for meetings with legislators a day or 2 prior, and the evening before email a tip to a couple of the more supportive news agencies.

Keep it up and make it happen more often.

Nemo

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Fairly low level female attributes that might pass for late night entertainment in a pinch. Proided you can get past her liberal tendencies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts