Renewing Your License

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Malum Prohibitum, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please post here if your current Georgia firearms license expires in the next four months.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Is this another one of those times when you want us to give a negative response but don't actually ask for it? :lol: In that case, no mine is good for a while... :wink:

3. Malum Prohibitum

No. :lol: I just wanted to bump it up to the top in case somebody had not seen it yet but their license is expiring in the near future.

Malum I made this thread a sticky so you won't have to come back and bump every few days :D -ICPJuggalo

4. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks, ICPJ. This refusal to do what the law says probate courts must do has me in pitchforks and torches mode.

SO - Please post here if you have a renewal coming up in the next four months.

Oh, let's make it six months. That would be anytime between now and January something 2007.

:-k

5. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Expires Jan 7th , 07

Mines up Jan 7th 2007 , here in Cobb County hopefully it won't be delayed once I renew....

6. Malum Prohibitum

7. Malum Prohibitum

Nevermind. Called them myself.

They do not issue temporary licenses. The lady was very polite. "Well, sir, the law changed and there is no such thing as a 'renewal license' any longer, you must start all over, so we do not issue temporary licenses."

"So," I asked, "If the renewal takes months, and I understand that sometimes it does take months, will I just be without a firearms license while I am waiting on you to issue my renewal license?"

"Yes, sir."

:|

8. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Expires Jan 7th , 07

Is anybody coming up for renewal before Taurus?

9. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Hello, I'm a new member as of today. My CCW expires on Oct.1 and I called to see about renewing it today in Fulton County. I was told that as of July 1, they are no longer renewing, replacing lost or issuing temporarys and I had to go through the entire application and full background check all over again.

Went to the Roswell annex and paid my money, filled out all the apps and then on to Alpharetta Police for fingerprinting, etc. In addition, they told me it would be anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks until I received my new permit and NOT TO CARRY after Oct 1 when my existing expires.

This is pure BS!!!! :evil: :evil: :x :x

10. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Larryg,

Did Fulton County also require you to disclose your Social Security Number and Employment info before they would accept your application?

Please Advise.

11. Bulldawg182

Yes, Fulton did require an application complete with social security # & employment info.

12. Malum Prohibitum

There is nothing preventing them from violating the federal Privacy Act.

13. Bulldawg182

Can I carry now?

Ok, so my permit expired on Oct 1 and I went to Fulton Cnty courthouse to renew in mid September but still have not received the new permit.

CAN I CARRY NOW?

14. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Re: Can I carry now?

Unless you have a valid license in your possession, then no. The law has a "prima facie" clause when it comes to the license. Even though the judge may have already signed and issued you a license, you must have it in your physical possession before you can carry. If you're caught carrying without your license in your possession, no matter if you're on record at the court as to having a valid license, you can be charged with carrying a pistol without a license.

15. Bulldawg182

Rights Denied

Thanks for your response to my question. I'm feeling very much like a citizen who's right to carry has been, at least temporarily, denied. I've had a valid permit for the last 5 years and even managed to remember to go 4 weeks before it expired to have it renewed. Still, I cannot legally excercise my right to carry.

I've jumped through the hoops, dotted the I's and crossed the T's and have and continue to pass muster and qualify to possess a concealed carry permit. But, since the one in my possession is now expired and the gov't saw fit to deny a temporary permit while they take months to process and deliver a completely new permit, I'm out in the cold.

Something is very rotten in Denmark, ugghhhh.....Fulton County, Georgia at least!!!!

NOT VERY HAPPY

16. Malum Prohibitum

I confirmed with an in person visit dowtown recently that Fulton has changed this policy.

:wink:

17. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Rights Denied

Larryg2, did they actually "deny" your temporary license, as the emphasized language indicates? Did you actually request a temporary license at the time of application?

18. Bulldawg182

Temp

Malum Pro:

They didn't exactly "deny" a temporary permit, but they did say they were NOT ISSUING TEMPORARY PERMITS. It was not a question of me, my background or my history. They said the recent changes precluded the issuance of temporary permits period and that I had no choice but to wait the 60 days or more until I received the "newly processed permit". In essence, it was as if I was applying for the permit for the first time and required a complete new background check, etc.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Was this discussion over the telephone, prior to applying, or did you request the issuance of a temporary license at the time of application?