Renew or new license?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by BirdMan, Mar 17, 2019.

1. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

I had a GFL that was valid until about 2013-ish and I let it lapse when it expired because I had moved out of GA. I didn't get a license in the state I moved to. I am moving back to Oconee County, GA and I want to get a GWL. Do I have to go through the whole process again, like I was getting a new license?

2. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

3. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

From OCGA 16.11.129(a):

..... An application shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the applicant has a weapons carry license or renewal license with 90 or fewer days remaining before the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license or 30 or fewer days since the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license regardless of the county of issuance of the applicant's expired or expiring weapons carry license or renewal license.....

gunsmoker likes this.
  4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

You have to start from square one.....new license.

5. tsangster

tsangster Member

Costs, hours and online application for Oconee found here:
    https://www.oconeecounty.com/311/Probate-Court

I renewed back in January - First time in OC. Didn't have to do fingerprints but the Probate part was relatively painless. Took maybe 2 weeks for license to arrive in the mail.

gunsmoker likes this.
  6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't mind a 2-week to 4-week delay in getting a first-time GWL for most people, under most circumstances, but for persons facing a particular threat (let's say a woman who has just left her violent, drug-abusing boyfriend who has threatened to kill her) I say there should be a same-day license available. Fast-track it, and get it while you wait. At least a temporary license until the other one comes weeks later.

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

There should not be even a 1 hour delay. Worse case 3 regular business (M-F) days which is the same for a delayed background check to be converted to transfer on a 4473. The checks for the most part take only a couple of minutes.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

But the "instant" background check only screens for federal "prohibited persons" disqualifiers.
    Letting it take a few hours also allows time to check out the person's story as to their special circumstances and WHY they need the fast-track license.

Some people will lie to avoid doing the regular weeks-long GWL processing period. We have to anticipate that and block such attempts .

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

And your point is?

I'll just put it this way. Under Georgia law a person whom can legally posses a firearm can carry said firearm on their property, anywhere within their motor vehicle and at their place of business if their place of business allows it. In short about the only thing they can't do is carry on their person openly or concealed. They need the GWCL for that. The GWCL only removes that restriction and some of the many off limit places in place without it.

If the NICS check is good enough to carry limited as pointed out above then it should be good enough to get the GWCL.