Rendering assistance - good samaritan?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by pro2am, Sep 17, 2006.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I know that Georgia has a good samaritan law regarding rendering medical assistance, i.e. CPR on someone. Is there a similar law or code that protects someone from assisting an officer or security guard in terms of helping to restrain another person?

Not necessarily using a gun or other weapon.

It seems that inevitably, if we try to do the right thing, the perp is able to sue and get some sort of reward.

2. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

Not so.

If it's a righteous shoot, you're protected from civil action.

We already have more than enough laws establishing appropriate defensive use of lethal force...a 'good samaritan with a gun' law would only inflame the antis and further confuse the issue.

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I know this is a gun forum and all...but I did say with or without a weapon.

I read in another forum of a man that helped a security guard to restrain someone at a retail store. Anyway, there was more than a few forum members that said the badguy could sue. So I was wondering if good samaritan laws extend to assisting a police officer or security guard, regardless of whether a weapon is used.

4. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

I don't think it matters whether a weapon, LEO or security guard are involved.

For any situation, you either do or do not have justification for the use of force, up to and including deadly force.

In a nutshell, those are situations that are either a forcible felony in progress or someone being in danger of death or grave bodily harm.

Help a security guard tackle the wrong guy, you're looking at a lawsuit.

It's best to just be a good witness. What is a security guard guarding that is worth your life, limb and estate? My own ethics don't include risking my life for property alone...I expect that I would be strongly tempted to respond with force if I saw someone being hurt by someone else though.

Good luck.

5. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I believe the following statute is relevant to your inquiry. O.C.G.A. 16-3-22

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I believe you are correct. Thank you for that.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This has nothing to do with legality, but I thought you might want the unsolicited advice of someone who has been in a position to actually receive assistance from a non-police officer. Make sure the officer knows exactly what you are doing and that you are there on his side. The help, if needed, is always very welcome, but you do not want there to be any misunderstandings about your intentions.