Remember when you could buy a gun anywhere?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by vanguard, Jan 13, 2011.

1. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I was just thinking of when I was a kid in the 70s(in Miami) and we had dept stores that sold hand guns, one was a store called JM Feilds, and Woolworth, and Woolco, I used to allways look at them and wanted to have one, now 40 years later you have to go to a gun shop or on line. :(

2. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

I wasn't around but I have pictures.....when my Grandfather had his hardware store in the 60's he sold rifles, pistols and BB guns. He always had a dozen or so of each in the store, used and new. I have a single shot 22 and a double barrell daisy from the store.

3. maggie

maggie New Member

My dad still has a S&W , with a factory box , with a Rich's price sticker on it. Rich's was latter eaten by Macy's.

4. goldshellback

goldshellback New Member

The neighborhood hardware store had a section in the corner by the check-out counter with a small selection of revolvers, shottys, and a few .22's.

Funny, I never remember seeing a semiautomatic pistol there......

5. dan1leg

dan1leg New Member

Several of the Hardward stores here in Northeast Georgia still have large gun and outdoor sections. Habersham Hardware in Cornelia and Reeves in Clayton come to mind. Prices aren't the most competitive, but they have or will get it.

My favorite rifle ( Stolen years ago) was a marlin 1894 .357 that my dad bought when wolworths went out of buisness.

Their is still a little old school around, you just have to look for it now.

Take Care,

DAN

6. maggie

maggie New Member

I think Social Circle Ace still sells guns and ammo.

7. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

I remember our local hardware stores, ( in western Washington ) had a few rifles, .22s, air rifles/pistols and perhaps a shotgun or two.

8. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I remember Sears mail order guns back in the 60's. Before the JFK murder.

9. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Yeah, I remember in the early 80's going with a friend to Gibsons (they were kind of like Kmart) for her to buy a handgun.

10. suttree

suttree New Member

That was before my time, but it must have been pretty nice.

On a side note I guess people must have been gunning each other down right and left with such easy access to firearms. [sarcasm]

11. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

People really were different in those days. Many factors for that no doubt.

12. janedoedad

janedoedad Liver Abuser

They are the outlet store for Atlanta Arms and Ammo.

13. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I'm not old enough to remember all the places where guns were sold, but I do remember toting my BB gun, then later my .22 rifle, all around my neighborhood without inciting any panic. I remember a time when guns weren't taboo, and if a kid had a rifle he wasn't regarded as a school shooting suspect in need of psychiatric care.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Otasco hardware, Town & Country shopping center in Marietta. (Now the space is occupied by a Chinese all you can eat buffet).
    Back in the early 1980s they sold both rifles and pistols. Fairly low quality stuff. Cheap prices. I think I bought some .22 ammo from them.

When I was in law school, I recall reading a case where some armed robber had tried to rob an Otasco hardware store in some other state, and got shot for his trouble. The injured young man hired an attorney to sue, on the theory that company policy prohibited store employees from being armed on the job. The assistant manager who shot the robber was violating that policy, and therefore his breach of this "duty" was the factual and proximate cause of the robber's painful and disabling injuries. He lost. The hardware store won.

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If the gun-grabbers get their way, they won't stop at banning guns. They are against weapons generally, including knives, swords, martial-arts weapons, military bayonets, folding knives, hunting knives, and even chef's knives and other big kitchen knives. Ditto for all sorts of archery equipment, blowguns, airguns, etc.

And one day people will look back at the early 21st century and shake their heads at the unhealthy amount of freedom we had, where the government had no effective way of stopping kids from buying or shoplifting knives from sporting goods stores. Where crazy adults could order blackpowder guns and crossbows with laser sights from mail-order catalogs or the internet. Americans of the post-disarmament era will wonder if the blood was ankle-deep or knee-deep in our streets, knowing that as late as 2015 you could buy a samarai sword at a flea market or pawn shop, no ID, no age restrictions (by law-- maybe only by store policy), no questions asked.

In this future America, before you can buy a new Ginsu knife to cut celery in your kitchen, you'll have to sign a statement and the authorities will have to review how many big knives you have bought in the last 12 months, to make sure you're not a "straw purchaser" and sending these deadly weapons out onto the black market.

16. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I remember mail order guns well. Used to be ads in the back of American Rifleman and other gun magazines where you could order rifles, handguns, etc through the mail.

17. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I bought my first rifle (an Enfield .303) at a Murphy's "Five and Dime" store in Pennsylvania, in 1956. They had a huge bin of them in the middle of an aisle. My mother was with me, but I made the purchase myself, as an eleven year old. :shock: I had mowed lawns all summer, to save up the $9.95 for the purchase, plus another buck for a box of surplus ammo. My uncle had told me how to check the barrels, so I ask the clerk to borrow a round, and he gave one to me. I think I inserted that bullet into the end of every rifle in the bin, to find the one that was "shot out" the least. I was one very proud kid, carrying my rifle out of the store.

18. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

Half the guys at my high school had shotguns or rifles on gun racks in their pickup trucks in the school parking lot. During hunting season this number went up to about 75%. They were in plain sight, and most of the time, the vehicles weren't even locked. Nobody stole stuff out of our trucks and nobody shot up the school with their guns. Of course, this was back in the day, in rural Alabama. Even some of the girls had them too.

As for pocketknives, the ratio would have been about 100%; this would include students, teachers, and the principal.

In 2010 in an urban environment, we'd have all been felons.

19. bgs210

bgs210 Luggage Killer

Substitute [s:36exdtpw]in rural Alabama[/s:36exdtpw] insert in rural middle Tennessee

20. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Going to high school in the mid-eighties in Memphis, we had a 25 yard. 22 range in the basement under the gym. It was used by ROTC and the school rifle team. Marksmanship was part of ROTC.