Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is likely for us old farts 40 yrs old plus...even though I now either vape or go without, I do fondly remember the days when you could light up a cig whenever and wherever you wanted...ah those where the days:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I am quite happy that it's been banished from just about everywhere. I have terrible memories of road trips with the parents where they chugged smoke the entire trip and funked up the car and my lungs. When I first joined the AF, it was quite common to sit in the maintenance truck where 8 of 10 dudes were smoking...absolutely nauseating. Watching my Mom die of emphysema and COPD was the icing on the cake for me.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
It's freaky to me to see the early Andy Griffth shows where he's smoking.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Those commercials. :roll:

Nothing like "fresh and clean" to muck up your lungs with gunk. :shakehead:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
I remember once as a teenager riding in a car with a group of folks from my church, and being surprised at how nice the ride was. It took me a moment to realize why. No one was smoking! I could actually breathe without gagging, and my eyes were not watering.

That lady in the news clip at the airport talking about smoking as her "right" was full of stupidity. No, it's not your right when you have a captive audience who cannot go anywhere, that must breathe whatever air is in the airplane.

·
:) :) :)
12,566 Posts
They can, so long as they don't have employee's or customers.
- people can choose not to eat there
- employees can choose not to work there

If a business like that can survive off a specific type of customer and specific workers, let them. If they can't they will close up shop anyhow.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Some people would not have a choice, such as minor children dragged there by their idiot parents.

I have no problem with a business allowing smoking if they do one thing:

Put a sign that states that smoking is allowed on the premises, and that no one under 18 is allowed inside.

- people can choose not to eat there
- employees can choose not to work there

If a business like that can survive off a specific type of customer and specific workers, let them. If they can't they will close up shop anyhow.

·
69,784 Posts
damned anarchists have to derail every thread!
How so? This is a thread asking the very question about how it used to be, how it is now, and whether the regulation is appropriate.

His post did not derail the thread at all.

The fact that you can't tell the difference indicates the problem.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
A private business like an airline.... if only smoke would stay in its own section of the plane

·
:) :) :)
12,566 Posts
Some people would not have a choice, such as minor children dragged there by their idiot parents.

I have no problem with a business allowing smoking if they do one thing:

Put a sign that states that smoking is allowed on the premises, and that no one under 18 is allowed inside.
How is this, in any shape or form, different than a parent taking their kids to a private home where people are smoking?

Are you really going to shift the blame from the proper source? Think about it.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
If you don't like it, don't fly airlines that allow smoking. It doesn't require any government intervention, UNLESS you simply want to impose your beliefs upon others Which many here are perfectly happy with, unless it involves firearms.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Your individual right to swing your fist in the air ends where my nose begins. Your right to smoke anywhere you want ends the moment the smoke from your cigarette enters another person's lungs. You don't have the right to poison anyone else.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts