Remanufactured

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wa4phy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

I just got a case of 40 S&W's this afternoon that a friend ordered for me at $130/case. I didn't know what brand or anything about them other than they being 180 gr. FMJ's for practice. I find on the boxes, they are remanufactured, by Precision Delta. Is that necessarily bad? I can buy new for $8.50 /box (I think new anyhow) but I figured if they were good enough for LE, they'd be good enough for me to punch holes in paper with! 1000 rounds is a heap of weight too !

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Some gun manufacturers (e.g., Glock) say not to use reloads in their products.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

depends, how many rounds are in a case?

I recently purchased 500 reloads/remanufactured for about $95 or so.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yes, No, Maybe

Yes, remanufacured ammo can cause problems with your gun. They're reloads, basically. Large-scale commercial reloads. They are more likely to have jams, misfires, etc. compared to brand-new factory ammo.

No, remanufactured rounds are not good choices for self-defense, for the reasons stated above. Even if the odds of having an ammo-caused malfunction are still very small, it just doesn't make sense to use second-class ammo when your life is on the line.

Should you use reloaded or remanufactured ammo in your gun for plinking and target practice only? Maybe. I do, and I have for years. I like to save money, and cheaper ammo leads to more practice which leads to you becoming a better marksman. I'll put up with some risk of jamming or even a catostrophic failure ( "Ka-Boom") to get inexpensive ammo that works nearly all of the time.

P.S. The same thing applies to cheap off-brand commercial ammo like "Wolf" brand, and also older foreign military surplus ammo.

5. Taurus

Taurus New Member

New ammo is manufactured to very a strict tolerance....Remanned(most) ammo is close, but tolerances can vary due to a previously fired\ejected copper case....Off by a 1\100th of an inch either way can cause jams and misfires and occasionally to hot of a load....That's why Glock doesn't recomend it, nor do any of the other gun manufacturers that I know of....

IMO, you should keep it at the range and fill your mag with good JHP for carry protection....

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I thought that Glock did not want handloaded rounds used, not remanufactured.

Hand loading/bench loading introduces the possibility of double charging (putting in twice the powder) which when fired will cause the gun to explode.

7. john

john New Member

Putting holes in paper or soda cans no problem. See how they work in your weapon. For protection/ carry only new name brand.

8. Taurus

Taurus New Member

I stand corrected.... :oops: (durn symantics... LOL... )

9. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

Ok.. guess I did not clarify completely. I bought them for strictly target practice. I was not aware they would be remans, but figured with a large bulk order, (have no idea, but I'd guess at minimum, 50 cases, at 1000 rds/case) would be new stuff, and just cheaper because of bulk order. I do use new Winchester hp's for real. I just thought it would be good to save a bunch of money, and just use them for plinking and practice. I'd like to think remans would have some kind of quality control, but ya never know. Could be some fly-by-night operation that doesn't give a rip about anything except making money. I stand educated more....

Thanks guys.....