Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into reloading 9mm. I know nothing about it other then watching youtube videos. I was wondering if anyone has used the lee press, I think it's the 1000 model that does 4 task. Anyone use it? Like it? What I want is a unit like this that does all the operations and simple to use. I'm reading all I can before deciding but know I want a press reloader that does all the steps minus cleaning the brass. What can someone recommend as a complete set up, everything need to reload used brass? Also any god books on the subject.
Last question is it worth it? I shoot anywhere from 75 to 150 rounds a weeks give or take a few. Ammo seems to go up a few cents ech time I buy it. Thanks for the help !!!

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
I would say with 9mm, you'd have to shoot ALOT to make it worthwhile. Most reloaders are doing the more expensive ammo... 40, 45, 10mm, etc.

It would take some time to recoup the expense of the equipment and the reloading supplies before you ever saw a decrease in the expense of your range time IMO

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
1- you cant go wrong with Lee. I presently load 9mm, 380, 25 acp, and .308, and do it all with a Lee Single stage Breech Lock press. It is a very addicting habit.

2- Make sure to get a good book, or two, and read. Then read some more. Then practice. I highly recommend "The ABC's of Reloading" and Lee's "Modern Reloading". Both are very informative, and I recommend reading ABC's first.

3- IMHO, the progressive press does look pretty nice, but I highly recommend starting with a single stage press. It tends to make you learn good habits, and helps you understand why you are doing certain things. Later, you can move up and still have your Single for things like sizing and decapping before cleaning.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Dirty J said:
I would say with 9mm, you'd have to shoot ALOT to make it worthwhile. Most reloaders are doing the more expensive ammo... 40, 45, 10mm, etc.
As of right now, I have my cost down to roughly $12 per 100 rounds. It would be even less if I used lead for practice, but right now I use FMJ's.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
elandil said:
Dirty J said:
As of right now, I have my cost down to roughly $12 per 100 rounds. It would be even less if I used lead for practice, but right now I use FMJ's.
No doubt you can get the cost down. Just making the point that unless you shoot alot, it would take some time to break even.

If you're reloading multiple calibers, it's not too much investment to add in 9mm. But if you're making the investment to only reload 9mm... it's going to take longer. That's all I'm saying :righton:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
elandil said:
1- you cant go wrong with Lee. I presently load 9mm, 380, 25 acp, and .308, and do it all with a Lee Single stage Breech Lock press. It is a very addicting habit.

2- Make sure to get a good book, or two, and read. Then read some more. Then practice. I highly recommend "The ABC's of Reloading" and Lee's "Modern Reloading". Both are very informative, and I recommend reading ABC's first.

3- IMHO, the progressive press does look pretty nice, but I highly recommend starting with a single stage press. It tends to make you learn good habits, and helps you understand why you are doing certain things. Later, you can move up and still have your Single for things like sizing and decapping before cleaning.

Dirty J said:
Magtech Bullets 9mm (355 Diameter) 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket
1000 count: $118.14 shipped
1000 count primers: $50
1 lb powder: $30 (conservative estimate) (7 gr. per bullet [varies depending on the powder], 7000 gr. per lb = 1000 bullets)
Total: $198.14

198.14/1000=.19814
so about 20 cents per round if purchased in bulk... which would be $20 per hundred.

Where do you get your supplies, elandil? The pricing on the bullets are from MidwayUsa, and the primers/powder pricing is just from my personal experience in shops.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quest50 said:
elandil said:

Dirty J said:
1000 count: $118.14 shipped
1000 count primers: $50
1 lb powder: $30 (conservative estimate) (7 gr. per bullet [varies depending on the powder], 7000 gr. per lb = 1000 bullets)
Total: $198.14

198.14/1000=.19814
so about 20 cents per round if purchased in bulk... which would be $20 per hundred.

Where do you get your supplies, elandil? The pricing on the bullets are from MidwayUsa, and the primers/powder pricing is just from my personal experience in shops.
If you're willing to pay $50 for 1k of primers and $30 for 1lb of powder, I've got some to sell you. :lol: If you go to a gun show you should be able to get primers for around $35 and powder for $25 even with the latest price increase. If you're willing to order in bulk you can even do better even with the hazmat fee. Don't order primers or powder from Midway, they ship each from a different wharehouse and charge you 2 hazmat fees. Try www.grafs.com they have good prices and ship powder and primers together.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I've got a Lee Loadmaster. If you keep an eye on Lee's website, they'll often have them refurbished and ready to reload a caliber for like $150--you can't beat that at all. As others have stated, it'll take you a little longer to recoup your investment when shooting 9mm, but its certainly well worth it in the long run. I used to reload 45, and it was always nice to be able to crank out 100 or so rounds and head to the range on short notice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
9mm brass- picked up at range
1000 small pistol primers-$29.95+ tax - last gun show
1000 12gr plated RN bullets-$74 delivered
1# wst powder-$20 + tax - last gun show.- more than enough for 1000 rounds.

Works out to be about $6.20/50- I don't really save- just shoot more.

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
Quest50 said:
1000 count: $118.14 shipped $90 in store if I buy Berrys plated in bulk
1000 count primers: $50 $33
1 lb powder: $30 (conservative estimate) (7 gr. per bullet [varies depending on the powder], 7000 gr. per lb = 1000 bullets) $22, and most 9mm loads i've tried only use about 4-5 gr depending
Total: $198.14 $145

198.14/1000=.19814

Got a local guy. see blue above for the last prices I saw with him. I also have another place I can get bullets from, and am paying around $12 per hundred for 115 gr JHP's

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I usually see powder for 26 dollars a lb at gun shows....

Primers... I've only bought large rifle primers, and i've usually paid 45 or 50 dollars for a thousand. Thanks for the pricing information, I'll be putting that to good use.

I don't buy powder or primers online, I know about the hazmat fees.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I only buy my powder and primers online.

I buy in bulk when someone like Graf's runs their "No Hazmat Fee" specials. Even when not, when you are buying 15k or 20k of primers, the $25 hazmat fee is a pretty trivial cost, and I save a TON over local or gun show prices.

My cost for a box of reloaded 9mm 115gr FMJ is about $5 for a box of 50. Costs me at least $12 nowadays to buy a box of Federal 115gr at Wally World (it has probably gone up).

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
Quest50 said:

Primers... I've only bought large rifle primers, and i've usually paid 45 or 50 dollars for a thousand. Thanks for the pricing information, I'll be putting that to good use.

Let me know next time you are gonna be heading up to Johns Mountain Range. I'll let you know where that my local place is at and maybe you can stop and check them out.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
elandil said:
Quest50 said:

Let me know next time you are gonna be heading up to Johns Mountain Range. I'll let you know where that my local place is at and maybe you can stop and check them out.
PM sent.

·
Registered
848 Posts
And shoot lead! Big savings over FMJ or even plated.

I use the Lee Turret... good for my needs in 9 & 45.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can you tell a difference shooting lead v/s FMJ ? Does the lead effect the guns performance over time, such as build up? I'm asking because I have no idea, still learning.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Differences? Lead semiwadcutter (LSWC) bullets punch a nice clean hole in paper :righton: The lube on lead bullets tends to be smokey. I can't speak to accuracy, because I haven't taken the time to do a proper benchrest comparison. At some point I'll mix up a batch of all the different powder/load/bullet combos for my 45 and spend a day at the range sorting out how everything performs. And therein lies an aspect of handloading that can really appeal - finding out all these different variables affect performance in your gun. For example, you might want to do some competition, and would like less recoil for decreased time to get back on target.... no problem, just make up a batch of "jesuslivesLightLSWC" ammo! :D

Cleaning... build up.... aka "leading".... sigh.... ay, mate, there's the rub. Well, really, the scrub. :lol: Many people have discovered the bullet/powder/speed combination so their loads don't lead their barrel, but alas, I am still in search of the one for my gun. That said, the leading I get I consider to be very light, and not affecting performance over a couple hundred rounds (at least). It's also easy enough to clean with lead remover solvent & Chore Boy copper scrub pads wrapped around a bore brush. Swab with solvent, come back 10 minutes later, 20 strokes with copper over brush, and barrel is shiny new. I've also found that using Lee Liquid Alox on the bullets prior to loading made a big difference.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you have a meticulous attitude about reloading. You need to learn the things to be concerned about, like powder charge, cartridge overall length, crimp (or not), differences in powder burn rates and how it relates to bullet weight, etc. And once you work out the mix for a load, you MUST KEEP YOUR ATTENTION ON THE TASK AT HAND. Yeah, I'm shouting. Don't think you can watch TV, have a few beers, and at the same time crank out a thousand on the progressive tonight. That's the road to a double charge and a gun that explodes in your hand. Or no charge, and a squib shot, followed by a full charge shot into the squibbed barrel, and THEN a gun that explodes in your hand.

Oh yeah, here's THE place to learn about reloading. http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15 But please read the sticky posts before asking very basic Q's, as they're probably covered in the stickies.

HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I say if you want to load 9mm rounds, go for it. Those people who say things like "it's not worth it" or "you have to shoot a lot to break even" are people who don't reload. Once you start reloading one caliber, you will quickly move to reloading others also. I started out reloading .38 Special ammo about 36-37 years ago. When I bought a new gun, I also bought a set of reloading dies for that caliber. I now reload for every gun I shoot except rimfire and stuff I can get surplus (8mm, 7.62X54, so forth).

I, personally, would not recommend a LEE progressive press. I have been using a LEE single stage from the very beginning and I am still using the same one. I did buy a LEE Loadmaster a few years ago and had squib loads for the first time and had a lot of problems with all the small plastic parts breaking for just failing to work properly. I bought a Dillon RL550B about a year ago and I am extremely happy with it. I only load pistol calibers on it. I tried .223 very recently, (but that is a long story in itself) but I gave up on them.

The person who is buying primers for $50 a thousand is definately buying in the wrong place. Yes, they have doubled in price in the past three years but are still about $32 per thousand. I saw some Wolf primers going for about $15 per 1K a couple of weeks ago online. I bought some powder at the last show at the North Atlanta Trade Center (ELCO Building) for $15.95 a pound and usually buy it locally for about $22. Bullets can be bought online for anwhere between $15 and $100 according to how many and what kind you buy, that is the most expensive part of reloading (after the initial costs of equipment).

I also cast several calibers so I shoot quite a few lead bullets. As long as you keep them below about 1000 fps, you don't really have to worry about leading. I don't think Glock recommends shooting lead, but I don't own a Block, I mean Glock.

If you are sure you are going to start reloading, buy yourself a couple of reloading manuals and read them, the first 50-100 pages of any manual is full of great information about reloading and can probably help you decide what kind of press and so forth. One that I recommend is the Lyman Reloading Manual, #49.

Sorry for the rant!! I say again, GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I used to be a big time cast and swaged lead shooter, but I stick with plated or FMJs that I purchase online exclusively nowadays.

For the rock bottom lowest costs, yes I would have to agree, naked lead is still king, but I have found that for just a reasonable additional cost, I can spare myself a lot of time and trouble scrubbing out barrels, revolver cylinders, and forcing cones. After years and years of dealing with lead removal, I just don't bother shooting naked lead anymore, just ain't worth the hassle.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Going Postal said:
The person who is buying primers for $50 a thousand is definately buying in the wrong place.
Indeed. This situation has been rectified. Thanks to everyone (especially elandil) who showed me where to buy my supplies from!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts