Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So where do you stand ?

How do you feel that maybe just maybe you would have to take someones life in order to protect your life or another .

I feel you should never ever kill someone , but feel that if I protect the devil from hurting another or me that GOD would forgive me . But you just never know until it happens ,then it's to late for forgiveness . How do ya'll feel about it

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
I know my stance. It's between me and the one I have to answer to. Why do you need to know it?

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
The actual literal translation from Hebrew is: Thou shall not murder.

I've never viewed defense of oneself or others as murder.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The actual translation is thou shalt not murder. There is nothing in the Bible saying you cannot defend yourself. And either way there is only one unpardonable sin.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
i will say this i hope i never have to use my weapon in self defense but i will survive if it ever comes to it

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
"He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself." -- John Locke; sermon in 1747

"There is a Principle of Self-Defence and Preservation, implanted in our very Natures, which is necessary to us almost as our Beings, which no positive Law of God ever yet contradicted….When our Liberty is invaded and struck at, ‘tis sufficient Reason for our making War on the Defence or Recovery of it."
-- James Cogswell, “God, The Pious Soldier’s Strength & Instruction; A Sermon…at Brooklyn in Pomfret, to the Military Company, Under the Command of Capt. Israel Putnam,….April, 1757†(Apr. 13, 1757), quoted in Baldwin, p. 87, n. 10 (ellipses in original title).

Both quotes are found in;"The Religious Roots of the American Revolution and the Right to Keep and Bear Arms"
By David B. Kopel
http://www.davekopel.com/Religion/Relig ... lution.pdf

I only made a quick and partial read of it just now but it's very interesting.

One last edit. Here's Mr Kopel's site. http://www.davekopel.com/

Lots to review there.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken1961 said:
"He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself." -- John Locke; sermon in 1747

"There is a Principle of Self-Defence and Preservation, implanted in our very Natures, which is necessary to us almost as our Beings, which no positive Law of God ever yet contradicted….When our Liberty is invaded and struck at, ‘tis sufficient Reason for our making War on the Defence or Recovery of it."
-- James Cogswell, “God, The Pious Soldier’s Strength & Instruction; A Sermon…at Brooklyn in Pomfret, to the Military Company, Under the Command of Capt. Israel Putnam,….April, 1757†(Apr. 13, 1757), quoted in Baldwin, p. 87, n. 10 (ellipses in original title).

Both quotes are found in;"The Religious Roots of the American Revolution and the Right to Keep and Bear Arms"
By David B. Kopel
http://www.davekopel.com/Religion/Relig ... lution.pdf

I only made a quick and partial read of it just now but it's very interesting.

One last edit. Here's Mr Kopel's site. http://www.davekopel.com/

Lots to review there.
GREAT POST!!!

I wasn't trying to post the exact words from the 10 commandments nor caring for someone to correct me I just wanted to know others feelings about this that is all .

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
Thanks Tech5.

The quotes I posted pretty much sum it up for me. Our lives are a gift of our Creator (however you view Him, Her, Them to be) It would be dishonoring that gift to willfully allow it to be damaged or taken by force.

This has a LOT of implications if you sit back and think about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A guy I worked with is quite a religious fellow and considered himself a pacifist. He didn't own a gun, but we talked about it a lot. He said he couldn't take a life, even if it mean his own. He said he'd rather die and go to heaven now than live now and go to hell later. I asked him, "What about when that intruder decides to take the life of your wife or child?" Well, he bought a gun.

In the end, he decided that he wouldn't go to hell to save his own life on earth, but that he'd willfully go to hell to protect that of his loved ones.

I'm not a religious person, but my philosophical belief is to be good to others until they give you a strong reason not to. Forcefully entering my domicile or attempting to bestow violence against innocent people, my loved ones, or me is a strong reason. I don't look for a fight, but if I find myself in one, my intent is to end it as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Tech5 said:
So where do you stand ?

They SHALL not kill (10 commandments)
That is not in the 10 commandments. It says, shall not murder. A completely different thing.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken1961 said:
Thanks Tech5.

The quotes I posted pretty much sum it up for me. Our lives are a gift of our Creator (however you view Him, Her, Them to be) It would be dishonoring that gift to willfully allow it to be damaged or taken by force.

This has a LOT of implications if you sit back and think about it.
Indeed thank you ken!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mpc said:
Tech5 said:
So where do you stand ?

That is not in the 10 commandments. It says, shall not murder. A completely different thing.
Really!!!!

My reason for this thread was how others felt about taking a life not how something is worded in the book of GOD! :?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Sometimes I post just so I can keep abreast of what's going on. This might be one of them for those that know me, but why hasn't anybody posted the scripture "sell your robe and by a sword?"

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CountryGun said:
Sometimes I post just so I can keep abreast of what's going on. This might be one of them for those that know me, but why hasn't anybody posted the scripture "sell your robe and by a sword?"
because this isn't a scripture thread it's a "How you feel about taking a life " thread.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Tech5 said:
CountryGun said:
because this isn't a scripture thread it's a "How you feel about taking a life " thread.
That be so, and I'm defending myself or others?.......................I could care less! If an assailant is bent on harming me or mine, he's DRT!

If, on the other hand, your dilemma resides in your ability to take a life,............or your ability to protect yourself or your family, you probably should leave it in the drawer.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Tech5 said:
mpc said:
Tech5 said:
So where do you stand ?

Really!!!!

My reason for this thread was how others felt about taking a life not how something is worded in the book of GOD! :?
When using your gun to defend yourself, your intent should be to fire until there is no more threat....not shoot to kill.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CountryGun said:
Tech5 said:
CountryGun said:
That be so, and I'm defending myself or others?.......................I could care less! If an assailant is bent on harming me or mine, he's DRT!

If, on the other hand, your dilemma resides in your ability to take a life,............or your ability to protect yourself or your family, you probably should leave it in the drawer.
Well I already said how I felt in the OP so it's not about my dilemma , but I just like to view others feelings about it. You know something else posted on this form other then LEO encounters or what have you bought threads . Just trying to keep the forum rolling , that's all not starting fights. :wink:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts