Religion In Govt Is Acceptable

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Nemo, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

At least as far as opening prayer in a state govt.

Nemo

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/pennsylvania-house-atheist-prayer-constitution

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why would an atheist be interested in leading a prayer? The only possible answer is mockery.

TimBob and Phil1979 like this.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

They would not lead a prayer. They would spout hateful crap against it.

4. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

This won't last if it reaches the supreme court.

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I think it will pass muster under the current SCOTUS. Those who do not believe in God and Country should find a country to believe in that doesn't believe in God. Maybe then they can be happy.

TimBob likes this.
  6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

What would an atheistic invocation entail, I wonder?

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The US has been heading in that direction for decades, unfortunately.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Maybe, but asking why a person would want to do something that is a constitutionally protected activity is a practice I try to discourage.

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If you read the opinion, the plaintiffs were members of church-like organizations such as the Universalist Unitarians. They wanted to offer uplifting messages of decency, equality, etc. Doesn't really sound like mockery. Sounds more like there is a religious test to perform a governmental function (which, by the way, is NOT one of the claims the plaintiffs brought).

Link to opinion:

https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/182974p.pdf

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

While Unitarians reject the Christian God, they still believe in and worship a god. How does that make them atheist?

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If you are directing the question at me, I did not and am not characterizing the theism of any of the plaintiffs. If you are directing it at the Court (somewhat rhetorically), I would point out that the Court characterizes the Unitarian Universalists (whom I incorrectly called Universalist Unitarians in my earlier post, and who may not be the same thing as the people you are calling Unitarians) as "nontheists," not "atheists." In fact, the opinion expressly says the case is about nontheists and not atheists, so the title of this thread is misleading.