Reidsville - No Guns Signs At City Hall Planned...

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Phil1979, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

2. Phil1979

From Atlanta to Reidsville and places in-between, local governments are thumbing their noses at state preemption. I hope this gets addressed this year in the Georgia General Assembly.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The article is very nice but has several factual errors. Still, the take away is that the local press are sometimes to be applauded.

4. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Member

Just down the road a ways. I think I'll visit just to ask for directions. Do not normally OC but will for this event.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

They can call it a gun free zone. They can call it Beatnik Refugee Zone - whatever. The fact remains that, unless they put in screening to be compliant with 16.11.127, state preemption rules the day,

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 9:10 AM
  6. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Member

Last year the local Reidsville Dairy Queen would hire a off duty Tattnall County Deputy to be security. I was coming back from Jerry's Sport Shop in Ambose and decided to stop in for a Blizzard. It was July and hot so that day I was OC. The security Deputy stopped me in the parking lot and wanted to know why I was armed. I told him in a nice way that I chose to be and that There were no weapons not allowed signs posted anywhere. I told him that I would be more than happy to wait outside until the Manager of the store could come out and make the decision on weapons by a legally carrying customer. The Manger did come out and stated to me and the Deputy that I was very welcome in his Dairy Queen armed or Not. I bid the Deputy good day and got my Blizzard.

TimBob likes this.
  7. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

You are nicer than I would have been. He took it upon himself to manufacture a no-guns police without any hint from the owner that such was desired.

8. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

I am sure that they will have THAT covered.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  9. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Member

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    Gen. James"Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

10. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member

The AJC reporter quoted in the Dekalb government building thread could still learn a lot from this lady.

As for the Reidsville Mayor, this quote is golden:

Well Mayor Clifton, pay for screened security and you can get your wish. Otherwise, expect to be disappointed if an armed assailant ignores your signs and takes issue with something you did.

In regards to just posting signs, I think a point was made in another thread a couple of years ago that a city posting "no guns" signs is not illegal as long as they are not actually excluding and arresting GWCL holders. The rationale being that the "No Guns" still applies to non-GWCL holders, which make up the majority of the people. I may be misremembering though.

DonT likes this.
  11. DonT

DonT Active Member

I agree with you, Dawgdoc, about the improper "no guns" signs not being illegal. I would just add, we should still do everything we can to get those improper signs taken down. We don't want good guys to think incorrectly that they can't carry there, nor do we want bad guys to think they can carry there because they believe all but they are disarmed.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. Phil1979

People carrying openly there often and taking photos next to their signs and sending copies to the news media might help.

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's a Dairy Queen, not Fallujah! :lol: Everything in moderation.

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Are they frisking everybody going in?

Better yet, are they running a swap shop out of City Hall? :mrgreen:

15. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

:lol:

16. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

IMHO officials purchasing and posting an official sign in a public building constitutes "making a rule" and 16-11-173 doesn't just forbid the passage of law or regulation, it prohibits them from "regulate{ing} in any manner" be it "by rule or regulation".

Any judge worth his salt would prohibit this. But that assumes a lot...

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member