REI Pressures Vista Outdoor

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GlockGary, Mar 4, 2018.

1. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/companies/rei-vista-guns/index.html

"REI, a retailer that sells outdoor apparel and supplies, is stopping its relationship with Vista Outdoor after the company failed to issue a statement following a mass shooting in Florida.

"This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action," the company said Thursday. "As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds."

Vista's portfolio spans at least 50 brands, including Savage Arms — which produces firearms. While REI doesn't sell guns, the retailer carries products from a number of companies owned by Vista (VSTO), such as Camelbak and Bell."

2. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I've often thought that if I printed badly, or happened to be open carrying, in an REI store, that they would either ask me to hide it better or to leave. I never got the impression that there was anything conservative at all about them. Quite the contrary, actually. Seems they may be jumping on the bandwagon now.

That's a shame, because if you need serious hiking or camping gear, they make Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy, Dick's, etc. look like wannabees in that regard. They sell only quality stuff. I even buy a good bit of mountain bike parts and tools from REI.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

They have a one year replacement or refund policy on just about everything they sell. Send that "whatever" back for a refund and tell them why. Everybody wants to jump on the SJW bandwagon. But they should be aware of the unintended consequences. For the most part, no retailer has a monopoly on what they sell. There's always another retailer looking for your business.

GlockGary likes this.
  4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think that's a dick move, to return something you've already bought, when you ARE truly satisfied with the product, but not satisfied with the political leanings of the company's management.
    That's abuse of their return policy.
    I think it's implied in any "no questions asked" return policy that the return be dissatisfaction with the product, not some personal money-crunch in your life, not the fact that you've already used the product and don't foresee a future need for it in the near future (i.e. you finished your backpacking trip last week, so now you'll return that $300 carbon-fiber frame backpack you bought, simply because you don't think you'll do another backpacking trip for a few years at least).

R.E.I. isn't trying to "return" for a "refund" any outdoors gear they got from Coleman or other Vista-affiliated companies, are they? No, REI is simply saying they won't be placing any new orders from them.

So, we gun owners can reciprocate in kind. No new purchases from REI.
    Tit for tat.

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Again, part of a well-planned and orchestrated campaign to move people and companies towards gun control.

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Interesting. So now we have REI joining in the leftist assault on gun sales and owners, by trying to pressure one of their suppliers into making a PR statement, when the supplier is a holding company that includes the likes of Savage Arms. And, to top it all off, REI doesn't even sell firearms. What a bunch of :censored:

7. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

It isn't really about gun control. It's about control. They don't just think of terms of their own stores, they have to try and control every store that doesn't agree with them. Then, there is the issue of mental illness. The left thinks it perfectly normal for a man to want to be a woman and to force people to use gender neutral pronouns.

No lefties, that is not normal, it is insanity.

GlockGary, Archangel and TimBob like this.
  8. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I may be behind the times but I just saw last week that they are now calling sex change operations "Gender Affirming" surgeries.

9. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I thought they were called a removeadickfrome or addadicktome

zookeper likes this.
  10. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I am glade I have never purchased anything from rei and only been inside one once.

11. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

:puke:

12. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

Sorry to hear this as I like the quality and variety of their rock climbing gear. I have open carried in REI stores in many different states and have never had any issues.

13. moe mensale

I think REI's move of forcing their suppliers to publicly agree with their political stance is a bigger dick move. But you think it's OK for them to get political but not for us to return the favor. They can go pound sand and go under for all I care. They sell nothing I want that can't be bought elsewhere.

GlockGary likes this.
  14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Apparently you don't understand "tit for tat."
    I said it's morally OK to boycott them by doing what they did-- stopping future orders from companies that have the wrong position on gun control.

You're OK with basically stealing from them through abusing their return policy in a way it was never intended or envisioned.

Why don't you just advocate gun rights advocates shoot out their windows with suppressed ARs? Why not come into their bedrooms at night and cut their throats?

Cut your throat.gif

Isn't the tree of liberty in need of some fresh blood?
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, and restraint when faced with tyranny is no virtue, right Mr. Goldwater?

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Make sure you let them know your dissatisfaction. If they don't hear disagreement with their policies they assume it makes no difference to anyone or everyone agrees with them.

Nemo

GlockGary likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Cannot really disagree with you GS or your citation.

Nemo

17. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

REI: The Whole Foods (paycheck) of outdoor consumer goods. Since I like to have a nice, healthy bank account, I never shopped there.

18. moe mensale

You really need to cut the sh*t with all your "let's go cut their throats!" crap. Nobody in this thread has advocated for any physical violence. I'm not OK with their dick move which is obviously politically motivated. If I or anybody else chooses to respond to that move by hitting them in the pocketbook, well, too bad for them if the results suck for them. They didn't have to jump on the gun control bandwagon. Let them suffer the consequences for showing how "thoughtful" they are. Getting political has consequences.

GlockGary likes this.
  19. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

It's not stealing if you take the item back.

REI is a coop. I'm a member and I've already written my letter that tells them that I don't thinks politics belongs in a retail business plan, and that as an outdoorsman that occasionally uses firearms, I don't agree with thier policy. And I'm cancelling my membership until they get back to business and out of politics.

20. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

REI is a coop. I'm a member and I've already written my letter that tells them that I don't thinks politics belongs in a retail business plan, and that as an outdoorsman that occasionally uses firearms, I don't agree with thier policy. And I'm cancelling my membership until they get back to business and out of politics.[/QUOTE]

I'm a member too, and am going to do the same thing regarding a letter. The only reason I am a member is because of their dividend policy. I also got suckered into a credit card through them (through a $100 REI gift card for signing up), and get dividend funds for every penny I put on my card. For example, in a few weeks, I am getting my $84 dividend, and will be able to go on a small shopping spree there. But I will wait until I get my stuff before I write them my letter. :mrgreen:

I really like them as a supplier in general, because they sell good quality stuff. But their recent bandwagon antics is pissing me off. It is true that the same stuff can be found elsewhere, with some searching.