Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kcci.com/news/14467237/detail.html
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Iowa Board of Regents approved a proposal Wednesday morning to allow campus police to carry guns.
The board meeting in Iowa City approved the change 6 to 2. The change impacts the University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa and is part of an overall security plan review.

Regents Michael Gartner and Rose Vasquez opposed the plan, with Gartner saying larger problems on Iowa's campuses involve alcohol and drugs, which cannot be addressed by giving guns to campus officers.

No word yet on how soon the change will take effect.

The review was ordered after the campus shootings at Virginia Tech in April.
Progress???

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
S&W 40 said:
http://www.kcci.com/news/14467237/detail.html
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Iowa Board of Regents approved a proposal Wednesday morning to allow campus police to carry guns.
The board meeting in Iowa City approved the change 6 to 2. The change impacts the University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa and is part of an overall security plan review.

Regents Michael Gartner and Rose Vasquez opposed the plan, with Gartner saying larger problems on Iowa's campuses involve alcohol and drugs, which cannot be addressed by giving guns to campus officers.

No word yet on how soon the change will take effect.

The review was ordered after the campus shootings at Virginia Tech in April.
Progress???
The campus police were unarmed? :shock:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VOLGRAD said:
Unarmed campus police ... shouldn't they be called safety patrol???
Safety Patrol :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Also report takers

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Having unarmed cops is a retarded concept. In my mind they are pretty much just security guards. I wonder could they carry like "real" cops while off duty? I don't think LEOSA would apply since the laws says they actually have to be authorized to carry by their department.

Anyway, it is a step in the correct direction, arming cops of all people.

Now let them start allowing CCW holders to carry, or at least employees. I'm with the other poster, that would be a major step.

If it took them 40 years to allow the campus LEOs to carry how long do we have to wait for CCW holders?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.