Refurbishing Ted Williams Lever Action Winchester 94

Discussion in 'How to' started by Atlanta777, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

I am looking for parts for a Ted Williams Sears 100 Lever Action Winchester 94 (30.30). I mostly need a new front fore end cap & screws. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Also any info about the the type of wood used for the furniture would be nice.

Thanks

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Those parts shouldn't be substantially different than normal Winchester 94 parts.
    Have you tried Numrich? http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    or Brownells? http://www.brownells.com/

Yours doesn't have serial number 273 532140, by any chance does it? It's considered especially valuable.

3. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

:rotfl:
    Thx, needed that!

4. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

Why is that one very vauleable? I heard most the Ted Williams arent really worth more then a couple hundred dollars.

I tried ordering parts from Numrich and they sent me what I thought would be the correct forend cap and screw and they where not the right size. I have looked everywhere and seem to make no progress. Another problem seems to be that the Winchester 94 had so many variations. I am under the assumption that all Ted Williams are post 64 but some of the internal parts make me believe it potentially was pre 64.

If you have any knowledge about the rifle please share it with me. The receiver and barrel on mine look good and the wood could be easily brought back to life. Only problem was the forend cap got damaged when the screw broke and was taken off with brute force.

5. Fallschirmjäger

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

That's not a serial number. It's a model number. There are thousands with that same number. Sears no longer offers parts. The Ted Williams was made by Winchester. Why wouldn't Winchester Model 94 parts fit?

7. Fallschirmjäger

Thank goodness you cleared that up for us, otherwise we'd never have figured it out. :p :p

8)

In related news, David Copperfield didn't really use magic to make the Statue of Liberty disappear, it was just an illusion.

8. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

I had assumed you where being sarcastic due to what I had thought I already knew about the rifle from prior research. Why bother posting pointless info to a serious question?

I think there are Winchester 94 parts that work, but I was hoping someone could help me clarify exactly which ones to use. I have ordered parts that didnt work already and have spent hours looking to no avail for the right parts.

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

From one site:
    Sears 54 273.532140 was manufacture for Sears as a Winchester NM 94

Are you sure yours is not a 54? You might contact Winchester, and ask for a schematic with parts list for the NM 94. Ted Williams joined Sears in 1961, but they started making NM 94s the year prior. The 54 had a steel butt-plate whereas the 100 butt-plate was plastic. I think both the 54 and the 100 were sold to Sears as Winchester NM 94s.

10. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

Mine has the plastic buttplate so that was the main reason I figured it was post 64. I called Sears and they keep sending me to next person and I hate getting that kind of treatment on the phone. It basicly is telling me no one has a clue. I dont know why they even post it on there website when they have no intention of having anyone with knowledge about old parts.

11. Fallschirmjäger

Might as well leave Sears completely out of it. they haven't the spare parts and they aren't really in the 'gun business' anymore, any parts they did have were likely sold to Numrich or someone else so they wouldn't have to carry them in inventory.

Determine exactly what you have; pre/post 64, rifle or carbine, barrel length, and anything else. There's about eleventy-dozen different models of 94 spread out over the years. You may need an entire forearm if the part you want isn't available.

12. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

I'd call Numrich (e-gunparts.com). They struck me as knowledgeable and willing to help.

13. Gunfixer69

Gunfixer69 New Member

If numrich doesn't have the parts tou need try calling Jack Firsts outfit in South Dakota. He usually has or will make anything you may need. I have used them for some obscure parts and never had a problem with them finding it. If they have to make it it can get a little pricey though. His number is 605-343-9544. They are in Rapid City SD so they don't open until 11:00 georgia time and close at 8:00. No website that I know of. Hope this helps.

14. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

Thanks for the the contact info