Reflectix Pot and Plate Coozies

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by rjinga, Mar 24, 2018.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

After watching a Youtube video that showed a camp pot in a homemade Reflectix coozie staying hot for over twice as long as the same pot without it, I got my scrape pieces out of the garage and started measuring, cutting and taping (clear Gorilla tape because that's what I had on hand).

Right now, my camp kitchen set-up only includes a one-burner stove, one pot, and one frying pan. So, the need to heat/cook something, and then set it aside while I heat/cook something else is a definite possibility.

I made a pot coozie:
    [​IMG]

And, a plate envelope:
    [​IMG]

I made the envelope to hold a regular Chinet plate with another one on top as a cover. So, for example, first you warm up the burritos in the frying pan. Then, stick them in the envelope while you fry the bacon. Then you put the bacon in with the burritos while you're making the scrambled eggs with cheese. Bam! Warm breakfast wraps.

lynx likes this.
  2. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Pretty cool idea. I've never thought about a Reflectix coozie.

3. rjinga

rjinga Member

In the video I watched, boiling water in the pot by itself went down to a set temperature in about 14 minutes. When the pot was in the Reflectix, it took around 34 minutes.

4. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

You can also make reflectix insulating sheaths for your cold items. I have one that slips over my water bladder to keep the water cold on hot days.

rjinga likes this.
  5. wee

wee Active Member

Works well for insulating the hot floorboard of a Corvette.

[​IMG]

Brian