Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you used this type of kerosene in the heaters?

Any problems that you are aware off?

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
I've run about 10 gallons through my heater so far this winter. I've heard others say that it gives them a headache. I went to get 5 more gallons the Sunday before the snow came, but they were closed and I ended up buying un-dyed kerosene. Un-dyed seems to burn better, or it could be that the place I was getting the other stuff from had old kerosene.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main thing is that red dyed kero cost about $4/gl, while clear kero was about $8 to $9 per galon. :shock:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Smelly stuff when burned in my heater. I don't mind as I only use it in the garage with the door cracked. $6 per gal + for the undyed stuff that still leaves a residual odor is highway robbery to me.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
mygunstoo said:
The main thing is that red dyed kero cost about $4/gl, while clear kero was about $8 to $9 per galon. :shock:
The hardware store here in Dawsonville, where I had been buying red-dyed kerosene, sells it for $4.00 a gallon. The Kangaroo up at Hwy 53 and GA400 had red-dyed for 3.68 a gallon a week ago, but they were out. I ended up getting un-dyed from the Cheveron for 3.99 a gallon.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
AV8R, does the undyed have less odor than the red-dyed in your experience?

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
I bought this heater at Home Depot last month: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053

It burns clean and will run you out the damn house after about 30 minutes. It will bring our whole downstairs up to 72 degrees from 64 in about 30 mins.

Moga: I get a slight odor when I fire it up... smells like a zippo lighter. When I shut it down there's a strong kerosene odor for about 5 minutes (I put it out on the back porch and shut it down then bring it back in after 10-15 minutes.). When it is burning, there's no odor at all to both dyed and un-dyed.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Yeah, I think I need a new wick. Although I don't use it often, it hasn't been replaced in a few years.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moga said:
Yeah, I think I need a new wick. Although I don't use it often, it hasn't been replaced in a few years.
Check the wick first. If it has some bumps on the rim of it, you might need to run the heater untill the fuel is all used and it extinguishes itself up. It is called burn it dry.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
mygunstoo said:
moga said:
Check the wick first. If it has some bumps on the rim of it, you might need to run the heater untill the fuel is all used and it extinguishes itself up. It is called burn it dry.
I remember reading something to this effect, too. Be sure to let the dry wick soak for a good hour before lighting it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The red dyed kerosene does not include road tax in the costs, unlike clear kerosene. My family and I have used red dyed kerosene for a very long time and not once had it cause a problem. No change in odor or carbon build-up.

My dad ran a small company that sold home heating fuel. I never heard a complaint from a customer about the red dye hurting the heater.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
The Chevron in Dawsonville at Hwy 53 and GA400 sells un-dyed and it is labeled as untaxed. It was up to $4.99 a gallon as of yesterday. I may go back to the dyed stuff which is at least a dollar cheaper.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to report I've been using the red dyed kerosene for a week now and all is well. No odor after the heater is warmed up and ruining and no apparent carbon built up.

Thank you much for your help.

·
Registered
904 Posts
AV8R said:
The Chevron in Dawsonville at Hwy 53 and GA400 sells un-dyed and it is labeled as untaxed. It was up to $4.99 a gallon as of yesterday. I may go back to the dyed stuff which is at least a dollar cheaper.
That's interesting to know, because the purpose of the dye was to make it possible to catch people putting the kerosene in diesel fuel. Perhaps since diesel fuels have changed to ultra-low sulfur (even off-road/untaxed if I'm not mistaken) then the road tax may have been dropped from the clear kerosene.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts