Red dot sights...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, Jun 18, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

As you may know now, I am quite fairly new to weapons (Thanks to the great Liberal Canadian Governement) but now that I am in Georgia, I am trying to make out for all those years I lost up there freezing in the cold...hehehehe.

I have 2 questions:

1 - Red dot scope. I read, saw on the web but I do not still figure out how they work. Is it like a normal scope but you put the red dot on the target? Do you have to care about the front sight? Is it working with a battery(I am assuming so)? Are those manifying or just plain 1x?

2 - What about installing a red dot scope on my AK-47? Is there a brand that mount on the side? What brand would you go for?

Thank you
    P.S.: Do not hesitate to write in detail. :)

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll try to answer your questions from my experience with cheapie red dots.

1) Yes, they are battery operated. I could not shoot my Hi-Point 9mm carbine Sat, since I forgot to turn off the sight the last time I shot it. The only ones that I have used are 1x, although I think that I have seen some with magnification. Depending on the gun and how high the sight mounts, you can use it where the dot, front sight and target line up, or you can remove the front sight and use just the red dot.

2) As far as your AK, there are two ways to mount one. If you Google "AK47 Optics Mount", you will see plenty of places selling two types.

One of them is shaped like a backwards 7. It attaches to the side mount on your Ak and gives you a Weaver rail above your factory sights that you can mount a scope to. Some people think that it's too high that way and awckward to fire. I tried it that way, and had a problems getting my scope to zero in. The scope didn't have enough elevation adjustment to make up for being mounted so high.

The other, which I ended up using, is a replacement receiver cover that had a weaver rail mounted to it instead of the standard rear sight. All you do is remove your cover and install the one with the rail and you're good to go.

When I get home, I'll send you pictures of the two types, if I still have them.

Adam

3. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I'm searching for Red Dot myself. I bought one from Wal-Mart for $29.95, and it was horrible. I took it back first thing Sunday morning The dot was bearly visible Saturday. I don't believe an entry level or low priced red dot is worth the money.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Just as in anything else, you get what you pay for.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I bought a few of the cheaper ones myself and will get a better one next time. The cheaper ones were OK at the indoor range, but not so hot n sunlight. I couldn't fire one of my rifles Sat, because the switch in mmy $25 red dot turns VERY easily and appearently turned on the last time I slid the rifle into its case, kiling the battery. While I'm not not going to spend $300+ for an EOTech, I'm going to get a good one for my AR15.

6. M249

M249 New Member

The good ones are worth it, but not cheap. The cheap ones are not worth it, but ymmv.

Aimpoint, EOTech, and Trijicon make nice "red dot" sights that may or may not have a "red dot."

7. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

I put a rail system on it and mounted a Aimpoint works great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yep.

I'm partial to EOtechs.

Aimpoints are quality kit. The Trijicons I'm not wild about because the only one I've had the opportunity to use did not impress me. The yellow triangle washed out when a little bit of light was in the direction of the scope.

9. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Try looking at ultimak.com. It replaces the gas tube and clamps solidly to the barrel. You can mount an aimpoint or a trijicon tripower with a low mount rings and still cowitness with your iron sights. I run the Aimpoint and it works great. I haven't changed the little watch battery in 2 years and the sight is NVG compatible. The new aimpoint M4 advertises 50,000 hours of battery life.

The trijicon tripower is powered by a battery, a light gathering fiber optic, and a tritium capsule. There are 2 generations of these optics out there. If you get one make sure you get the second gen part. I think you can get it with a range finding chevron reticle instead of a plain dot.

The Eotech 500 series of holographic sights will not cowitness with the iron sights. The 553 series with intergral ARMS throw lever mount will not mount securely to the ultimak mount. I've heard some speculative talk that the Eotechs may not stand up to the heat produced by a rapid fire burst.

All of the above optic choices are 1X sights that do not magnify the image. If you want a scope you're gonna have to get a long eye relief "Scout Rifle" style scope.

Yeh I know all these sights will cost you as much as a cheap AK but you can buy cheap 4 or 5 times or buy quality just once.

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I would go with an Aimpoint if anything... at some point past that I think you start hitting diminishing returns... especially on an AK. Trijicons and stuff are nice but way too $$$$

I have a 30 dollar wal-mart red-dot on my .22 and it's just OK. It's great indoors but outdoors I had only a fine point at the highest intensity. To echo the others, you get what you pay for. If it were a tad brighter I might consider slapping it on my AR.

I don't really think a red-dot, holosight or scope is worth anything on an AK. For long distance shooting they made the Dragunov. If you want to start slapping on big sights and co-witnessing stuff, just get an AR and go from there. If you want something utterly reliable, get an AK... if you want to make it LESS reliable, put on a red-dot or holo sight.

Congrats on your freedom BTW :p

11. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

ok...ok.... :shock:

Now I am more confused than before except I must not buy the cheapo stuff.

FYI : I am the roud owner...oups...my wife is now the proud owner of a PSL Dragunov ROMAK-3 with a scope.

My goal is to have a better sight on the AK than currently. The small rear sight is a pain for fast target acquisition. The notch is wayyyyy to small for my taste (Especially compared to the rear sight to the mosin nagant).

I thought a red dot would be nice to replace it. I never used or saw a red dot. I (innocently) think that a red dot is a "tube" you look inside and place the red dot (or arrow, or chevron) on the target and pull the trigger.

I took a look at the peep rear sights (a circle) and I read the red dots are a great improvement.

Moreover, I thought the scopes had to be mounted more in the back than in the front of the rifle. isn't akward to have the scope over the front grip???

Thank you

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Not really, it is personal preference.

Some people like to have it on the front rail so that they are not focused on looking through it; while some like to have it farther back so they are specifically looking through it. I prefer the latter.