Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Maybe take a look at the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm 12+1. The size isn't too different than the PF9 but it holds several more shots.

How do you have a valid GFL, but live in Texas?

Lots of great suggestions mentioned. For what it's worth, I've been very pleased with my SR9C. It's been totally reliable (700+ rounds), conceals VERY well, and is also fun and comfortable for long range sessions (try that with some other compacts).

You can see how well it conceals in this thread:

georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52188

Plus it was $100 less than the M&P or G26. But any of those choices that fits you well would be great.

Now that you have been overwhelmed with recommendations, prioritize this list (from most important to least important) and see if that changes the suggestions:

size
weight
cost
caliber (bigger/more energy usually trades off with capacity)
capacity (more shots between reloads, usually trades off with caliber)
trigger (DAO, DA/SA, SAO)
safety (1911 grip style, Glock style, separate button/switch style)
other options (rail, laser, grip panels, threaded barrel, lanyard attachment)

Unless you look at pocket guns, the biggest differences on a given family will be caliber vs capacity and not so much size vs weight vs caliber vs capacity.

Also, do you have an opinion on wheel guns vs automatics? The .38+P and .357 snubbies are easy to conceal and outrank the 9mm for bang in small quantities.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. And by all means, keep the advice comin' if you've got it.

To WoodandSteel, I lived in Columbus and obtained my GFL while I was there. I've now PCSed to Fort Bliss and my GFL reciprocates in TX. I am in the process of obtaining my Texas handgun license though. Since I'll be living here and all.

Out of all the suggestions here, I'm most intrigued by the KelTec PF9 for it's thin width, the Rock Island 1911 because of my experience with and affinity for 1911s, and after looking into it, I really like the sounds of the Para Warthog for its combination of small frame, powerful caliber and decent magazine capacity (10+1 according to their website). However, at $959 it would be my most expensive firearm yet. I'd still be willing and able to pay that, it'd just take a bit more motivation on my part. And from what I've seen as with the PPKs, the official websites seem to hike the price up from what I'd find in local stores.

I texted a friend of mine who owns and carries a PF9. He responded that he's thinking about getting the Ruger LCP 380 because it would be smaller and easier to conceal. I told him that the guy at the local store I visited yesterday didn't think highly of the LCP, but my friend says his friend has one and absolutely loves it. I guess it comes back to what the store clerk said yesterday, that you could ask a gun question and get 20 different answers, depending on how many people are in the store.

Yeah, so I still have an interest in the PPK, but I'll definitely be looking at this thread the next time I visit the store. Thanks again, everybody.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Also, 45_fan, I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I tried one out at Shooter's of Columbus (snubnose, can't remember what kind) and the sharp recoil just made it no fun to shoot. I could do it; it just wasn't as enjoyable as it should be.

And yeah, I know this is about having a PDW, but if I can't have a good time punching holes in targets at the range, what good is that? So for me personally, just not a revolver kind of guy.

GFLinTX said:
Also, 45_fan, I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I tried one out at Shooter's of Columbus (snubnose, can't remember what kind) and the sharp recoil just made it no fun to shoot. I could do it; it just wasn't as enjoyable as it should be.

And yeah, I know this is about having a PDW, but if I can't have a good time punching holes in targets at the range, what good is that? So for me personally, just not a revolver kind of guy.
No harm, no foul on not liking revolvers. Some people love 'em, some don't. It sounds like you've done a fair amount of homework. I'm partial to a .45 ACP when deep concealment isn't required but dislike .40 on a compact while finding .357 fun on a heavy frame, but prefer 9mm on a lighter one.

I've had my Kel-tec PF9 for about six weeks. I've shot about 250 rounds, including service ammo, with zero failures. The first range trip, it didn't lock open two different times on empty magazines, but they may have been self-induced by my deathgrip dragging against the release--not sure. It kicks like a mule, and the shock hurts my trigger finger. However, it's accurate. I've shot a friend's Kahr PM9 several times, and I can honestly say the PF9 is just as accurate, despite the long trigger pull. I've not worked up to rapid firing with it yet, so I can't attest to that.

I was half-expecting failures, since that seems to be Kel-tecs reputation. They've apparently fixed any problems causing failures. I haven't done any "fluff-n-buff." The owner's manual specifically says no dry-firing, and I keep meaning to get snap-caps for trigger practice, but haven't done so.

I'm right-handed, so the non-ambidexterous(left-side only) magazine release makes administrative mag-changes impossible in my conceal Kholster. Putting the gun into condition 1 with a full magazine requires extra pause and care, since it's unlikely one can administratively mag-change without uncovering the trigger. This could be a result of the typical engineer testing in a controlled environment versus real-world usage. It was designed as a pocket gun, I think, but I prefer to have the trigger covered, and the Kholster is very comfortable.

Mine is wallet brown, conceals very well, and I like it, don't love it. I consider it to be a compromise when not carrying an XD.

Xiclotl said:
The Dec/Jan issue of Guns & Ammo: Handguns examined the Beresa Thunder 9 UC, Kel-Tec PF09, Stoeger Couger and Taurus PT709 in an article titled "Bargain 9mm Shootout". Gave very good marks to the Cougar & Taurus. The Kel-Tec did't fare so well, but for $333 it is about 30% cheaper. The Cougar holds 15+1.
At one time, Beretta also made a Mini-Cougar, the only difference was length of grip and shorter magazine. Made a big difference in concealing the butt (and who does not like a well shaped butt :cantsay:). They can still be found if you look around.

+1 on the M&P9c, but I also like the Sig P238, although a less effective round than the 9 Parabellum.

Tazisland said:
Xiclotl said:
The Dec/Jan issue of Guns & Ammo: Handguns examined the Beresa Thunder 9 UC, Kel-Tec PF09, Stoeger Couger and Taurus PT709 in an article titled "Bargain 9mm Shootout". Gave very good marks to the Cougar & Taurus. The Kel-Tec did't fare so well, but for $333 it is about 30% cheaper. The Cougar holds 15+1.
At one time, Beretta also made a Mini-Cougar, the only difference was length of grip and shorter magazine. Made a big difference in concealing the butt (and who does not like a well shaped butt :cantsay:). They can still be found if you look around.

+1 on the M&P9c, but I also like the Sig P238, although a less effective round than the 9 Parabellum.
I paid $247.17 for my PF9, delivered. If a Cougar holds 16 rounds, it's apples-to-oranges in comparison, size and all. Maybe they were only considering "bargain" in the review, without respect to size and concealability.

I recommend Kahr CW9 the kel-tec pf-9 wouldn't be bad either. I have a CW9 that I bought after owning a S&W M&P 9 compact for several years. I like the single stack kahr better because it is much easier to conceal, and with 7+1 it really isn't much less capacity than the M&P especially if I have to 10rd flat base magazine in it. I would also consider a compact 1911, possibly springfield or kimber ultra carry, although that is starting to get pricey. Whatever you do try to shoot what you are going to buy if you can.

What ever you get do not sacrifice caliber for a small size weapon. Minimum 9mm and it should hold at least 8rds with one in the chamber 7 at best if you can get away with that depending on what you choose. If you go with the 9mm Corbon, Pow R Ball, is what I suggest you use as you ammo.

rmodel65 said:
GAGunOwner said:
Maybe take a look at the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm 12+1. The size isn't too different than the PF9 but it holds several more shots.
i had a P11 and it was nice but the trigger is so much better on the pf9...
The PF9 is more snappy when fired.

+1 on the kel tek pf9. It's my every day carry and is barely noticeable in my front right pocket. It is shorter, lighter and thinner than the pocket 38 snubbies, and half the cost of the higher end pocket 9mm handguns. I have put approximately 300 rounds through mine with no problems. Accuracy is great and after about 150 rounds, felt recoil just did not feel that bad. I have the laser attachment on mine, which is great for the 1st shot, but not as helpful for the second shot of a double tap. I have just started practicing double taps, and accuracy has dropped off a bit on the second shot, but is getting better.

I used to carry an xd9sc or xd45c, but didn't like how heavy they felt after a few hrs, even with a good belt and holster.

I now carry a Kahr CW45 90% of the time and a Kahr PM9 the other 10% of the time. The CW45 is the same height and length of the smaller caliber xd9sc, but thinner and much lighter. It's an easy all day carry weapon. The PM9? I sometimes forget that it's on my hip.....BUT I prefer the .45 whenever possible. I also have a CW9, but the wife totes that one. All 3 are very good for carry and all 3 have been 100% dependable. All are a pleasure to shoot, even the small PM9. I had a PF9 but won't have another. That thing shoots nasty compared to the PM9.

I carry a Glock 27 usually with 357sig ammo using a Storm Lake conversion barrel. I like the stopping power of the 357sig. At times I'll carry it as a 40S&W using Winchester Supreme Elite ammo. Right now as I type, I'm carrying it with a 9mm conversion barrel & Glock 26 mags. It's loaded with Supreme Elite jhp ammo. I like the diversity the Glock 27 platform gives me. I can change calibers on a whim, which I do regularly. I'm not stuck with one particular caliber with this gun.

Hello, I'm ET and I approve of this message. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE IN TWO WEEKS!!!!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.