Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Recommendations for good concealed carry weapon?

2K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Hock25 
#1 ·
A little background:
-As the name says, got my GFL and live in TX (no OC allowed- I prefer the tactical advantage of CC anyway, but that's another topic)
-Have a Glock 19 and a Springfield 1911 (both awesome firearms)
-Alternate carrying both of them when I'm not venturing onto post

Now, for my next weapon, I want to get something that conceals really well. Something that doesn't print as much, especially when I'm wearing light warm-weather shirts (yeah, I know it's going into winter, so sue me :shattered: ), and something that just doesn't have such an obvious presence on my hip.

I want to combine decent stopping power with a small frame, basically. One weapon that has attracted my interest is the Walther PPK. I went to a local store today and found one for what I believe is a good price ($600, whereas Walther's website sells them for $686). The guys there spoke quite highly of it, saying it had great accuracy. Sadly, the store did not have an in-house range, and the gun club I'm a member at on post doesn't do rentals. So I can't test it out. :(

Anyone got reviews on the PPK? I saw an avatar of the Walther logo with it earlier so I know the brand has at least one fan here. And if not the PPK or a Walther, any other suggestions that would fit my needs? Thanks, guys.

And the military has given me solid training on how to use firearms and practice proper safety, but I'm still admittedly a little ignorant on the buying side. What different calibers are best for, what brands are the best at what, so I figure this forum is a good place to help with my ignorance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly I would go with a G26 or an M&P 9c and a good quality holster. Also your 1911 would be very concealable with a good holster like a Comp Tac M-Tac. It doesn't have to be a mouse gun to be easily concealable, that is more dependent on your dress and holster.

#3 ·
In line with the recommendations above (good ones at that) is the Ruger SR9c as well--all double stack 9mm's that are relatively small in size. I have never been able to shoot or even hold a Glock 26 all that comfortably, but the Ruger SR9c fit my hand much better...obviously YMMV. I can also second the recommendation of a good concealment holster being almost just as important as the gun itself. Comp-Tac's MTAC is a great example of a quality holster--my SR9c disappears almost completely when carried in my MTAC.

For single stack 9mm's (slimmer grip profile, but also lower round count), Kahr seems to be about the only player in that market at this time.

#5 ·
martin_j001 said:
.......For single stack 9mm's (slimmer grip profile, but also lower round count), Kahr seems to be about the only player in that market at this time.
Kahr offers incredibly small and thin single stack quality pistols (other than a specialty player like Rohrbaugh) which in my opinion gives them a leg up on the pocket carry market. I like them and happen to own a Kahr CW9 at the moment.

But they are not the only player if absolute minimal size is not the primary concern. In that case, check out the Walther PPS and Taurus Slim series. Other options might include the Keltec PF9 too.

For me, I prefer the Glock 27 when it comes to a compromise between size and caliber for IWB use. The Glock 27 is the same size as the 26 but in 40SW.

#7 ·
Walther PPK is what you like.
But I think the caliber is rather weak.
You can get other guns that are similar in size and thickness, and about the same weight (or even less) in a better caliber, like 9mm.
So look for a single-stack 9mm pistols that hold 7 or 8 rounds in the mag + 1 in the chamber, and are double action for the first shot (if not for all shots).
I forget the specific brands and model numbers.

#8 ·
i like my Kel-Tec PF9 very light

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pf-9/

The PF-9 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9mm Luger cartridge. It has been developed from our highly successful P-11 and P-3AT pistols with maximum concealability in mind. The PF-9 has a single stack magazine holding 7 rounds. It is the lightest and flattest 9 mm ever made. Firing mechanism is Double-Action Only with an automatic hammer block safety. The PF-9 will be available in blued, parkerized, and hard chrome finishes. Grips will be in black, grey, and olive drab.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers: 9mm Luger 9 x 19 mm
Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz. 360g
Loaded magazine: 5.5 oz. 156g
Length: 5.85" 149mm
Height: 4.3" 109mm
Width: 0.88" 22mm
Barrel Length: 3.1" 79mm
Capacity: 7 + 1
Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 22.2N

#12 ·
Look at the Keltec rmodel mentioned before buying a Walther. If CC comfort and better concealability is really what you are desiring along with some decent stopping power, get the Keltec. It's not a range toy, its a carry piece that excels in CC.

#13 ·
The PPK design has been around for almost a hundred years and still selling. I've had one, sold it and regret it. Superb design and function are the hallmark of old school Walther design. Honestly, I cannot wait to get another. I see them running between $450-550 quite often. Any more and your paying too much.
Closest thing to it is a Bersa Thunder @ $350.
Take a look here, this list covers many gun sale sites. http://www.ebang.com/guns_for_sale/-/walther_ppk_380/2/ Many pages of them. :righton:

#14 ·
The Dec/Jan issue of Guns & Ammo: Handguns examined the Beresa Thunder 9 UC, Kel-Tec PF09, Stoeger Couger and Taurus PT709 in an article titled "Bargain 9mm Shootout". Gave very good marks to the Cougar & Taurus. The Kel-Tec did't fare so well, but for $333 it is about 30% cheaper. The Cougar holds 15+1.

#16 ·
You have very good taste in holsters TAA. :righton:

#17 ·
I would recommend searching out a range that rents guns and try a few out.

Walther makes a nice gun but I am not a fan of the .380 since modern guns have made available 9mm in equivalent size/weight handguns.

There are many compact and sub-compact models out there that would fit your needs.

I am a fan of the Springfield XD series. Check out the XSsc in 9mm. I think you would like it. Light on the hip, 13 round capacity, accurate and reliable.

#18 ·
Xiclotl said:
The Dec/Jan issue of Guns & Ammo: Handguns examined the Beresa Thunder 9 UC, Kel-Tec PF09, Stoeger Couger and Taurus PT709 in an article titled "Bargain 9mm Shootout". Gave very good marks to the Cougar & Taurus. The Kel-Tec did't fare so well, but for $333 it is about 30% cheaper. The Cougar holds 15+1.
How many ads did the magazine have for all of the manufacturers and was the results in proportion with the advertising dollars? :wink: Gun Tests is about the only place I have seen that is about as fair as it gets. They're kinda like consumer reports for guns, even then, i bought one they said was a great buy, it was a lemon.

#19 ·
Suburbbus said:
If you want to stay with stopping power of a 1911 model .45acp, Rock Island makes an Officer's size GI no frills .45acp for around $400.

Good, basic, and dependable. Mine is the one I carry and have no problem at all concealing it.
THIS.

You didn't specify pocket carry, so might as well stick with something that resembles a real gun in a real caliber. You are already familiar with the 1911 platform, too.

#20 ·
AV8R said:
Suburbbus said:
If you want to stay with stopping power of a 1911 model .45acp, Rock Island makes an Officer's size GI no frills .45acp for around $400.

Good, basic, and dependable. Mine is the one I carry and have no problem at all concealing it.
THIS.

You didn't specify pocket carry, so might as well stick with something that resembles a real gun in a real caliber. You are already familiar with the 1911 platform, too.
If he wasn't specifying pocket carry, I concur. Plus, to concur further, I think if you own a full size 1911, you should have an officer's model in your battery as well.

However a single stack 1911 is much thicker than say a PF-9.... but there's middle ground, could always pick up a Springfield EMP. But if thickness is of no concern, just wants a super small pistol with punch, Para Warthog.

G
#22 ·
How do you have a valid GFL, but live in Texas?

Lots of great suggestions mentioned. For what it's worth, I've been very pleased with my SR9C. It's been totally reliable (700+ rounds), conceals VERY well, and is also fun and comfortable for long range sessions (try that with some other compacts).

You can see how well it conceals in this thread:

georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52188

Plus it was $100 less than the M&P or G26. But any of those choices that fits you well would be great.

#23 ·
Now that you have been overwhelmed with recommendations, prioritize this list (from most important to least important) and see if that changes the suggestions:

size
weight
cost
caliber (bigger/more energy usually trades off with capacity)
capacity (more shots between reloads, usually trades off with caliber)
trigger (DAO, DA/SA, SAO)
safety (1911 grip style, Glock style, separate button/switch style)
other options (rail, laser, grip panels, threaded barrel, lanyard attachment)

Unless you look at pocket guns, the biggest differences on a given family will be caliber vs capacity and not so much size vs weight vs caliber vs capacity.

Also, do you have an opinion on wheel guns vs automatics? The .38+P and .357 snubbies are easy to conceal and outrank the 9mm for bang in small quantities.

#24 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. And by all means, keep the advice comin' if you've got it.

To WoodandSteel, I lived in Columbus and obtained my GFL while I was there. I've now PCSed to Fort Bliss and my GFL reciprocates in TX. I am in the process of obtaining my Texas handgun license though. Since I'll be living here and all.

Out of all the suggestions here, I'm most intrigued by the KelTec PF9 for it's thin width, the Rock Island 1911 because of my experience with and affinity for 1911s, and after looking into it, I really like the sounds of the Para Warthog for its combination of small frame, powerful caliber and decent magazine capacity (10+1 according to their website). However, at $959 it would be my most expensive firearm yet. I'd still be willing and able to pay that, it'd just take a bit more motivation on my part. And from what I've seen as with the PPKs, the official websites seem to hike the price up from what I'd find in local stores.

I texted a friend of mine who owns and carries a PF9. He responded that he's thinking about getting the Ruger LCP 380 because it would be smaller and easier to conceal. I told him that the guy at the local store I visited yesterday didn't think highly of the LCP, but my friend says his friend has one and absolutely loves it. I guess it comes back to what the store clerk said yesterday, that you could ask a gun question and get 20 different answers, depending on how many people are in the store.

Yeah, so I still have an interest in the PPK, but I'll definitely be looking at this thread the next time I visit the store. Thanks again, everybody.

#25 ·
Also, 45_fan, I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I tried one out at Shooter's of Columbus (snubnose, can't remember what kind) and the sharp recoil just made it no fun to shoot. I could do it; it just wasn't as enjoyable as it should be.

And yeah, I know this is about having a PDW, but if I can't have a good time punching holes in targets at the range, what good is that? So for me personally, just not a revolver kind of guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.