Recommend holster with thumb-break

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I am looking for a leather holster with a thumb-break. What say you?

Thanks in advance.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What gun? Do you have a budget in mind?

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I’ve had a few good ones.

What make / model / barrel length gun?

How high to you want the gun’s center of mass to be, in relation to your belt?

Do you want the gun canted /raked / tipped forward, as contrasted with the barrel being truly vertical?

4. GeorgiaGlocker

Glock 19 and/or 26. No more than say $75.00.

5. GeorgiaGlocker

Glock 19and/or 26. I like a bit for a forward cant.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Check a Galco Fletch, Bianchi Shadow 7, or DeSantis Scabbard.

For budget friendly check MyHolster.com.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

859378DD-0705-4E21-82F7-7B43F56A125E.png I have a Galco that looks like this. A pancake style, medium cant. It’s 15+ yeas old, and may be a discontinued model.
    You do have to thread your belt through it, but I don’t mind. It’s open on the bottom, but covers and protects the gun up to the muzzle and front sight.

It sits up higher than I think is ideal, but that’s standard for concealment holsters of the pancake design. If you don’t have a stiff belt cinched tight, the gun will tend to wobble and tip away from your body.

If you test holsters at a gun shop, ask if you can insert a loaded magazine (but keep chamber empty). That extra weight of all those rounds changes the balance considerably.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Might look around holsterama.com to see what you find. Excellent pricing in the "SALE" section, formerly the "bargain bin" but the leather seems like it is a touch thin. They wear and carry well and I have had no problem with those and I recommend them.

I use the molded pancake as my primary carry holster for a 5906 and prefer it of all the rest of what I have. Primarily because it rides lower on the belt and does not have the grip and rear tilt out from the body. It "works" some for concealed carry but that 5906 is not my primary concealed carry. It works well enough when needed but I would not rely on it for CC.

Might look at Barsony holsters too. No experience with them but I have heard good things.

Nemo

http://www.holsterama.com/molded-leather-pancake-holster/

https://www.barsonyholsters.com/

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Call Chuck Barber and see what he can do close to your budget maybe . . . you won't regret spending a little more to get a CB's Leatherworks Holster.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think you are confusing Chucks. Zookeper is Chuck Barber.

Malum Prohibitum likes this.
  11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, yeah, but call him! :grin:

And get an A&G Gunleather belt, too. Order them at the same time and get the belt and holster matched.

Adam5 likes this.