Reciprocity Question

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by GSCSRET, Apr 8, 2018.

1. GSCSRET

GSCSRET Member

I'm a NC resident with a NC carry license. I know GA and NC have reciprocity but does that reciprocity cover a NC license holder to open carry in GA?

I was in a discussion with a friend and he was telling me that a friend of his was in GA, open carrying, and he was informed by LEO that unless he had a GWL he was not allowed to open carry in GA.

This sounded odd to me so I wanted to check in here since I know there are several LEO connected members.

Thanks for your help.

Motopackin likes this.
  2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Have you ever heard the phrase "When in Rome do as the Romans."?

Same applies in reciprocity. When visiting another state the state laws apply.

MSgt G and Motopackin like this.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

FPNI.
    What matters in Georgia is Georgia law.

Just in case your friend should happen to question it, show him this:
    OCGA 16-11-126(e)
    "...(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state...."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    MSgt G likes this.
  4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Does your friend's friend have a carry permit, like you do?

Georgia does require a weapons carry license to carry, openly or concealed, if you're not on your own land, or in your home, or your vehicle, or at your place of business.

But as shown in the post above, a license from a state with reciprocity with Georgia is fully effective and legally the same (at least as far as GA law goes) as a GA-issued permit.

MSgt G likes this.
  5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Georgia allows open carry or concealed carry as your choice, 99.9% of the time.
    The only place you must keep it concealed is at a public college or university. (And read our laws at 16-11-127.1 carefully before carrying there, outside of your vehicle.)

6. GSCSRET

GSCSRET Member

Thanks for the clarification gunsmoker. Yes all parties in my scenario are licensed in NC. I did read GA statute, and am previous GWL holder, that is why i questioned that restriction.

7. festus

festus New Member

So, to possibly beat a dead horse: can a Florida concealed carry license holder open carry a pistol on their person in Ga. without a Georgia weapons license?

8. jsaund22

jsaund22 Computer Ninjaneer

Absolutely!

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Short answer is yes.

However, if you're moving to GA your FL license is only valid for 90 days after becoming a GA resident.
    OCGA 16-11-126(e)(2).
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

TrkJky likes this.
  11. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

From Florida's perspective, yes. Not always the state you move to depending on their laws and licensing rules as stated with GA above.