Reciprocity between GA and VA changing anytime?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by tkruf, Nov 21, 2010.

1. tkruf

tkruf New Member

Has anyone seen/heard anything about the possibility of GA/VA reciprocity changing anytime in the future?

Being from GA and having family and friends there, I return for a visit once or twice a year, sometimes more. It would be nice if they honored my VA CHP, or if they would start issuing non-resident (NR) permits. I have my non-resident permit for NH which is recognized by GA, so I'm good to go for now, but I'd much rather have the reciprocity or the GA NR permit.

Before I left GA and moved to VA, I had my GFL (which actually would not have expired until November 2011), but of course it's expired, or no longer valid, now that I am not a state resident. It would be nice if they could convert it to a non-resident permit since I still have ties in the state.

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Virginia is an open carry state without a license. Carry on, and carry proudly!

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Doh! I misread your question. My apologies. I thought you were a Georgian headed north. :oops:

4. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Your GFL is good until it expires. Regardless of the move.

5. tkruf

tkruf New Member

I wasn't aware of that. I thought since my state of residence changed, and I now pay VA taxes, have a VA driver license, etc., that my GFL would be no longer valide. So if you're right, I got my $100, 4 year, NH non-resident permit almost two years before I needed to.

My wife got her PA non-resident permit because after I had gotten my NH permit, I found out that the PA permit cost less and was good for 5 years. So after she got her VA permit, we sent off for her PA permit.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just get a permit in your state of residence and it be valid in every state, just like your drivers license? :)

6. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

Ga has a "we'll honor yours, if your honor ours" type law. So, you need to get VA to get right with us and all will be good. :righton:

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Once again "training" rears it's ugly head. Virginia is very liberal about what they will accept as evidence of training, but they still have a training requirement. It's the same thorn in their side that South Carolina has. :evil: Virginia bastardized the the Second Amendment via their state constitution.

How is it they don't see training requirements as an infringement? The work does need to start in Virginia. Georgia is only too willing to reciprocate.

8. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

yes you got your NH permit early....and i would have gotten a PA permit instead since they are only 26$ vesus NH 100$ permit

9. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

Amen!

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This.

GA will honor VA if VA will honor GA. VA will not honor GA. :?

11. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

Ohio is the same way...usually it comes down to how similar to the laws are and if training is required. Also if VA only does theirs by reciprocity agreement.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

12. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

If you get a Pa non resident I
    believe it is good in Ga. $26. :righton:

13. tkruf

tkruf New Member

I have a NH non-resident which is good for GA. My wife has a PA non-resident good for GA so we are covered. When my NH runs out, unless the reciprocity changes between VA and GA, I will try and get my PA next time instead of NH. I thought I've heard something to the fact that PA is now requiring people to "show up in person" to apply and pick up non-resident permits. If that is true, this may become hard to do also. I also think their price is increasing soon.

14. Alabama Jones

I got mine through the mail around two months ago no problem.
    (My sister lives in Virginia) $26 for five years as you stated above.
    Well worth it!

15. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I got mine through the mail around two months ago no problem.
    (My sister lives in Virginia) $26 for five years as you stated above.
    Well worth it![/quote:2ypv2gkg]
    The law changed. Somebody posted it not long ago. Do a search. Next year, you will have to appear in person.

16. Alabama Jones

The law changed. Somebody posted it not long ago. Do a search. Next year, you will have to appear in person.[/quote:3chyv9te]

Sounds to me like there's no time like the present! :wink:

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You can get a PA LTCF through the mail now, they'll mail it to you.

The law did just change though so sometime in the early part of next year you will have to show up in person in PA if you want to get one.

18. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

just traveled to alexandria virginia, last weekend, with 4 handguns and...........

virginia and georgia are not reciprocal states, period.

so now......what's your question?

and for the curious, 2 semi autos, .45acp and .380acp and 2 revolvers .44mag and .44cal bp............

19. tkruf

tkruf New Member

Well I just found out that a proposed bill HB1732 has been presented in the Virginia General Assembly. If passed, Virginia will honor all other state permits (fully). This could mean nationwide reciprocity for VA CHP holders. I hope this goes through.