Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Rebirth of a 1911

858 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  HydroAuto 
#1 ·
A while back I picked up my very first 1911(A1) pattern pistol, a nicely broken in Kimber Custom II.

Exhibit A :D

Being the mechanical guy I am, I soon had it apart in a pile on my work bench with MidwayUSA open on the browser near by. :lol:

Did some research and pinged a few 1911 enthusiasts I rub elbows with and ordered a new spring set, grips & screws, firing pin, & steel MSH. In the mean time I brought the slide, frame and a couple baggies of parts over to Tyler at Georgia Gunsmithing, LLC (formerly Ion Coatings) in Menlo, GA. Some of you already know Tyler, and if you don't he's a GCO member that hangs out here at GPDO as well. (ty1854). A couple weeks of anxiously waiting... and was able to pick it up at the shop yesterday afternoon. Put it back together last night.

I must say, yet another beautiful thing about 1911 is the simplicity of design. Having only done it once before, I was able to put it back together w/o instructions or parts left over. Ok, slight correction, I had a FPB and spring left over, but that was by design. :D

Here it is, with a fresh coat of flat dark earth Cerakote on frame/slide, and external parts in graphite black with matched sheen.

New steel mainspring housing

Now I just need to get it out back and put a box of ammo through it to break in the rails.

Hat's off to Tyler, he does fine work and is great to do business with. I don't hesitate in recommending his shop for any coating/refinishing needs you may have.

See less See more
#10 ·
galvatron said:
What did the refinish set you back?
All said & done <$150. That's a 2-tone Cerakote job, plus removing/replacing sights and sales tax included. Tyler offers a discount for GCO, LE and military folk. A single color job would cost less.

He also took care of a few minor scratches on the frame/slide at no extra charge. Cerakote doesn't hide stuff like duracoat might, its a very thin coating which means stuff like stampings/etchings/scratches will retain their sharpness even after the coating is applied.

#14 ·
martin_j001 said:
timbrubaker said:
Never gave a thought about refinishing my 1911 til I saw this. That really looks nice.
Ditto. And at that cost...??? Might have some business for them myself soon. :)
I was thinking, if there was enough interest, next time there was a GTG in the metro ATL area we could gather up everyone's projects and I could cart them up to Tyler en masse to save everyone some money on FFL & shipping fees. It could be a great opportunity to meet everyone (x2), get your firearms treated, and save some money too. :lol:

#15 ·
tmoore912 said:
Looks good :righton: Let us know how it shoots when you get some rounds through it.
I put a hundred rounds of the cheapest, dirtiest ammo* through it this weekend without a hiccup. Gave the cerakote a good test, everything cleaned up nicely. :righton:

*Walmart has TulAmmo for $14.97/50rds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.