Rebirth of a 1911

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HydroAuto, Oct 27, 2010.

1. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

A while back I picked up my very first 1911(A1) pattern pistol, a nicely broken in Kimber Custom II.

Exhibit A :D
    [​IMG]

Being the mechanical guy I am, I soon had it apart in a pile on my work bench with MidwayUSA open on the browser near by. :lol:

Did some research and pinged a few 1911 enthusiasts I rub elbows with and ordered a new spring set, grips & screws, firing pin, & steel MSH. In the mean time I brought the slide, frame and a couple baggies of parts over to Tyler at Georgia Gunsmithing, LLC (formerly Ion Coatings) in Menlo, GA. Some of you already know Tyler, and if you don't he's a GCO member that hangs out here at GPDO as well. (ty1854). A couple weeks of anxiously waiting... and was able to pick it up at the shop yesterday afternoon. Put it back together last night.

I must say, yet another beautiful thing about 1911 is the simplicity of design. Having only done it once before, I was able to put it back together w/o instructions or parts left over. Ok, slight correction, I had a FPB and spring left over, but that was by design. :D

Here it is, with a fresh coat of flat dark earth Cerakote on frame/slide, and external parts in graphite black with matched sheen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New steel mainspring housing
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to get it out back and put a box of ammo through it to break in the rails.

Hat's off to Tyler, he does fine work and is great to do business with. I don't hesitate in recommending his shop for any coating/refinishing needs you may have.

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

3. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

congrats, looks very nice.

4. yrualeg

yrualeg Member

That is nice looking work...I would like to get my SA LW Operator re-finished

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Looks good :righton: Let us know how it shoots when you get some rounds through it.

6. moga

moga New Member

Your Kimber is really sharp in desert tan!

7. HydroAuto

I plan to get on that either Friday night or Saturday, weather permitting. :righton:

8. galvatron

galvatron Member

What did the refinish set you back?

9. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

Never gave a thought about refinishing my 1911 til I saw this. That really looks nice.

10. HydroAuto

All said & done <$150. That's a 2-tone Cerakote job, plus removing/replacing sights and sales tax included. Tyler offers a discount for GCO, LE and military folk. A single color job would cost less.

He also took care of a few minor scratches on the frame/slide at no extra charge. Cerakote doesn't hide stuff like duracoat might, its a very thin coating which means stuff like stampings/etchings/scratches will retain their sharpness even after the coating is applied.

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Looking very good! Love the desert tan! :righton:

12. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Ditto. And at that cost...??? Might have some business for them myself soon. :)

13. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Very nice gun. My gunsmith is going to refinish mine for $120. Anyone around NW GA check out Heritage custom arms in Rossville, Ga

14. HydroAuto

I was thinking, if there was enough interest, next time there was a GTG in the metro ATL area we could gather up everyone's projects and I could cart them up to Tyler en masse to save everyone some money on FFL & shipping fees. It could be a great opportunity to meet everyone (x2), get your firearms treated, and save some money too. :lol:

15. HydroAuto

I put a hundred rounds of the cheapest, dirtiest ammo* through it this weekend without a hiccup. Gave the cerakote a good test, everything cleaned up nicely. :righton:

*Walmart has TulAmmo for $14.97/50rds.