Rebarreling

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by John1976, Jul 17, 2017.

1. John1976

John1976 New Member

I have an old Czechoslovakian Mauser with severe rusting on the barrel. The action and other parts are sound. What would it cost to make this a 308 or other useable caliber? I hate the thought of trashing any weapon but I know the rifle is not special.

2. John1976

John1976 New Member

No thoughts? Anyone?

3. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Depends on cost any mauser action in good condition is worth rebarreliing done right you good end up with a really nice rifle , so in short yes if you have the funds its well worth it find a good smith and do it or do it yourself if you have the skills and tools .

4. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

As to what it would cost that will depend on you to a degree and what kind of barrel you go with, a few hundred to several thousand lots of them out there . Though even with a mediocre barrel you have an action that is bulletproof and you won't be sorry

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Swap barrels

Personally, I'd find a used, fair condition original Czech surplus barrel from a parts supplier like Numrich and put that on.
    Keep it the original 8 x57 mm chambering.

Here's a stripped barrel (sights not included) for $35.

Attached Files:

6. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

"Several thousand" for a rebarrel"? The last one I did cost around 600.00 with a kreiger. This was for a bolt gun and I know about the extractor slot that has to be milled into the shank on a Mauser barrel, but now way will it be 1000.00, let alone thousands.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Lothar-Walther Mauser barrels, new, exact specs as K98 originals, finished, only $250.

** and you can get these in a variety of calibers, including 308 Winchester ! **

You'd just need a gunsmith to screw it in for you and set the headspace.

That's probably another $100- $150.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/272.php

8. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

Don't forget about your case head dimensions and the extractor hook dimensions. Depending on the caliber, you might also need to add a block to the mag well. You would be better off to rebarrel with the original as noted above if you are trying to keep it looking like an original. If you are wanting a .308, you would be better off to buy a used .308 unless you are dead set on using this rifle.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I believe that he is talking about a full on custom build based on a bare action. Custom stock, exotic wood, rechambered, rebarreled with custom engraving and high quality blueing.

10. John1976

John1976 New Member

the reason I was thinking 308 is do to finding 8mm at a reasonable price. What I've seen is old Iranian surplus and corrosive at $2. a round.

11. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

. . . and I have some 8mm Mauser posted for sale here, Portuguese'70s mfgr. I will try to add the link.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272976

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017