Reasons For Fingerprints Upon Renewal & On License

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by tholt4, Jan 25, 2011.

1. tholt4

tholt4 Member

I was just wondering why a fingerprint needs to be on a GWL (other than “that’s the lawâ€) and why you have to get fingerprinted every time you renew. Wouldn’t just a current background check suffice? Does anyone know of one instance where the single fingerprint on the actual license was used to aid LE in an investigation?

2. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I asked this too in Why a fingerprint and not picture on card?

My best thought was a cheap way to provide for some kind of identifying mark without expensive cameras.

And there was a case in Virginia that identified an unknown victim by his licensed fingerprints, but it wasn't from the actual card, apparently.

3. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Regardless of what they use, it sure would be nice if they could do it on a card that was the same size as my driver's license or a credit card. This thing is crazy big...

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Getting new prints just ensures that you are you when applying. Almost anyone (and more likely, Anyone) who has had a security investigation has their prints taken anew each time.

Personally, I kinda like not having my picture on the card. It's one reason I carry a passport card around instead of a driver's license; one has less 'free information' floating around on it.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well the fingerprint on the card has been there a while, the need to get them for your background check on a renewal was put into the law a few years ago (I think 2005 or 2006)... BGCO (before GCO). The legislature changed the law regarding GA being a point of contact for NICS checks. So in an ATF review they said that our license no longer qualified as NICS exempt.

The next year the legislature got some bad information from someone and thought that to regain NICS exemption, in addition to checking NICS, that fingerprints must also be ran on renewal. This was incorrect, only a NICS check is required to be NICS exempt.

So basically the reason you must get fingerprinted at renewal is because someone in the federal government or state legislature misunderstood federal law and added the requirement into the state law (if they did not misunderstand it, then they did it on purpose and lied about the reason).

6. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

I don't think they misunderstood anything. It's just a reason (excuse) to get your fingerprints on file and in the system. It's the same as when they made you get printed to get a drivers license. Just a reason to get the prints into the system. What I never understood was why they put your right index finger print on the GFL. Is the officer on the side of the road qualified to look at my index finger and make a comparison to the one on the card? I don't think so.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I don't think so, you already have to provide your fingerprints for a new application. So your in the system when you first apply. Why does it matter when you renew if you are already in the system? As a side note, as far as the way the system is supposed to work, your prints are not in the system. People that have been arrested for crimes are "in the system" as well as unknown prints from crime scenes. So a fingerprint check is not to see if you are you, it is to see if you are someone who has been caught committing a crime.

My personal theory is that an agent of the FBI or ATF gave bad interpretations of the law/regs to our legislators (that is what I was told by the author of the bill). The reason I believe it is that both agencies are well known for pushing regulations well past what the law they are based on will allow. Also in the FBI's case, it would ensure more money flowing in to process those fingerprint checks.

The fingerprint on the license has been required since at least 1976 (that is as far back as I cared to look). Which pre-dates the computer recording of them by over 20 years.

I think it would be interesting to find out when pictures started to be put on GA drivers licenses. Perhaps the fingerprint on the carry license was the first and cheapest way to include some kind of identity verification (not on the side of the road but perhaps at the station).

8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Starting in Jan 0f 2012, the fingerprint requirement on the license will disappear and a color photograph will be required on them.

9. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Anytime the government gets your fingerprints, you can be assured that it is saved and stored away for future reference....as is everything that can get on you...

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Oh NOes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shouldn't have joined the Air Force! I shouldn't have become a commercial pilot!!!!! I shouldn't have applied for a GFL!!!!!! HALP!!!!!!!!

11. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

Believe it or not, that was a big dilemma in my life when I was first going to apply for my carry license. My prints were nowhere to be found in the "state" system. It was a hard choice to get printed for the firearms license or remain outside the system. (The investigators can't claim they found your prints somewhere at a crime scene if they don't have a copy of them. Yes, this happened in N Ga back in the days. This was also in the days when if you had to shoot someone in downtown you should just walk away and disappear.) I chose to be printed and be legal instead of getting caught in Atlanta with a gun and then being a criminal and forced into a worse situation. Since then my prints are on file everywhere (still not for an arrest though). You should have seen the stink I raised when banks started making you put a print on the back of checks to cash them. Some of us just want to be left alone.

12. Dawg

Dawg New Member

I always assumed the reason they wanted your right index finger was because that is your "trigger finger"... I mean GWL, makes sense right. Of course I don't know what they do for left handed people. If I were them I'd of used the thumb print, can't do too much without that digit, just try.