Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm finished modifying the rear sight of my Ruger SR9! Let me know what you guys think?

I started off with a standard plastic Glock sight and used a sharp knife to chop off the sides so it's narrow enough to fit within the metal rear sight base of the SR9. Then I shaved/sanded/filed the bottom as much as I could so it wouldn't stand so high.

I thought the modifying the rear sight leaf would be the hardest part, but it really wasn't all that difficult. I used a knife to get it started and worked slowly and carefully to get the general shape. Then I used a triangle file to put on the right angle so it would mate up to the Glock sight well. Then after making sure all the surfaces were as flat as I could get them I lined everything up and applied epoxy and then refit everything.

Now I have to take it to the range and make sure it's at the right elevation. I really like this sight picture!

Thanks to all the guys willing to spare a rear Glock sight for me to do this!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The sites look nice :righton:

does your sr9 have the new trigger (safety )????

They had a recall about this gun about it shooting on its on while being dropped

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, mine is post recall.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
ev239 said:
Yes, mine is post recall.
Just checking some don't know this and seeing you have one thought I would share , Great job on the sites wanna do mine . :wink:

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
I like it. I might have to try that for my Sr9c.

Thanks for the idea. :righton:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,329 Posts
Looks good! I like big wide rear sights on a defensive pistol, and the color really helps!
Even just shooting black targets at a dimly-lit indoor range, a contrasting color is helpful.

P.S. Do you have a "before" pic to show what kind of rear sight your pistol used to have?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Here's a couple pictures of the standard rear sight leaf with the two dots. I don't have a pic of it mounted and since I've already sighted in the replacement sight I don't want to mess with the elevation again.

The Glock rear really contrasts well with the front sight so there's no mixing them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts