Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about ready to cut the cable TV cord, Comcast, but retain my cable modem and wifi. But I'm concerned that I'll lose some shows I want. I just got a new Smart TV, so I can use my wifi connection.

I definitely want to access movie channels like AMC and TCM, Fox News, and Fox main channel. That is mostly what I watch, frankly.

What's my best services options for access? Do I get an external antenna for free channels? Any recommendations on all this?

·
codegeek reincarnate
901 Posts
My daughter lives in Cobb and she told me to take a look at Youtube TV. I don't see TCM on there but you might be able to supplement that with Hulu/Netflix.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I cut Comcast cable TV a couple years ago and don't miss it. I purchased an off air HDTV antenna and have Netflix streaming +2 dvd plan. I have no desire to go back.

Also, if you're renting your modem, consider getting your own. I picked up a modem/router (Arris Surfboard), returned Comcast's modem/router, dropped "blast" ( that's a total of $30 off my bill now) and ended up getting 1080 dpi on Netflix on a regular basis compared to paying for Blast and getting 1080dpi sometimes. My speedtest times are about the same, so Blast did nothing except cost more.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Good for you.

Jail broken fire stick.

There are ways to find every show if you have wifi.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
I cut Comcast cable TV a couple years ago and don't miss it. I purchased an off air HDTV antenna and have Netflix streaming +2 dvd plan. I have no desire to go back.

Also, if you're renting your modem, consider getting your own. I picked up a modem/router (Arris Surfboard), returned Comcast's modem/router, dropped "blast" ( that's a total of $30 off my bill now) and ended up getting 1080 dpi on Netflix on a regular basis compared to paying for Blast and getting 1080dpi sometimes. My speedtest times are about the same, so Blast did nothing except cost more.
This is great advice

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
We cut the cord last month so my experience is a bit limited.
Netflix, Hulu and Amazon prime will get you most of what you want.
AMC is available through Livestreaming Sling TV, PlayStation Vue DIRECTV NOW, and YouTube TV. (According to "Cordcutters News")
We currently use the three listed above with a Mohu Leaf antenna and aren't missing anything we want to see. Saved us $97/month.

Next up will be buying a modem. Our TV provider was Diretv but we get cable from Charter (for internet).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cut it 10 years ago. AppleTV is main device (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, Fox News, lots of specialty apps available, Amazon Video app coming soon). Got an a Amazon Fire TV Stick cheap (don't use it much, just for Amazon-only video). Use Redbox for recent movies.

When you can watch any movie you want whenever you want, commercial free, for less than regular subscription, channels like AMC & TCM are moot.

I've lost all interest in regular TV, and despise commercials. Streaming on demand rocks.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
+1

Now I'm considering cutting Netflix.
Curious, what's your disappointment with Netflix? I know of several issues people complain about, but there's still enough "junk" on there to keep me from signing up elsewhere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife did badger me into getting cable tv again. Not long after, she saw that the only shows watched were mostly House Hunters etc and the post-intro cost was staggering. Snip.

·
Registered
847 Posts
In NW Cobb, we get 39 (if I recall) channels on a $20 antenna on a mast about 20' above the ground. I don't recall the brand or type, but it is very compact.
I think I got it from Newegg. That and Netflix give us all we need and want. I refuse to ever pay for TV channels (cable, etc.) while there are still free ones available.

I remember way back when, when people paid for cable so as to not get commercials. Now people pay for cable and still get commercials. :screwy:

If I were a sports fan, I imagine I might want cable. But as a kid, I was too busy doing cool stuff, and wasn't listening when people told me I should be interested in watching people that I don't personally know, playing ball games. :lol:

I very rarely ever watch broadcast TV, and only turn it on to watch a Neflix movie or series, in a subject I want, when I want to watch it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Curious, what's your disappointment with Netflix? I know of several issues people complain about, but there's still enough "junk" on there to keep me from signing up elsewhere.
I love Netflix. But it still cost $. You can find everything you want on a jail broken fire stick.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
In NW Cobb, we get 39 (if I recall) channels on a $20 antenna on a mast about 20' above the ground. I don't recall the brand or type, but it is very compact.
I think I got it from Newegg. That and Netflix give us all we need and want. I refuse to ever pay for TV channels (cable, etc.) while there are still free ones available.

I remember way back when, when people paid for cable so as to not get commercials. Now people pay for cable and still get commercials. :screwy:

If I were a sports fan, I imagine I might want cable. But as a kid, I was too busy doing cool stuff, and wasn't listening when people told me I should be interested in watching people that I don't personally know, playing ball games. :lol:

I very rarely ever watch broadcast TV, and only turn it on to watch a Neflix movie or series, in a subject I want, when I want to watch it.
Exactly! All points are spot on.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I love Netflix. But it still cost $. You can find everything you want on a jail broken fire stick.
I may have to look into that. In addition to losing content and pushing their content by screwing with ratings (now some steaming pile called "Match%"), Netflix seems intent on breaking what works and not caring what so ever.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Netflix is <$10/mo. Convenience alone makes it worthwhile. Spend your time doing something interesting & profitable, not dorking around with piracy.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
One thing that has made my life easier is a ChannelMaster OTA DVR. Before, without cable, if there were two shows on at the same time, I had to wait to watch one the next day (or next week) via streaming on a website. The DVR lets me record one OTA program while watching another.

I also have SlingTV and Amazon Prime, but I rarely watch anything on the Prime videos.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
We use Fire Stick (and Fire TV) and have been happy to have kicked AT/T U-Verse to the curb. Two services we have used for the "normal cable networks" is Sling and DirecTV Now. The DTV was nice in that we signed up when it first came out, so the $60/mo package is $35/mo "for life"...but it has been buggy. Watching live TV is fine, but the OnDemand part of it sucks. SlingTV works quite a bit better for the OnDemand stuff, but I am not a big fan of the interface (specifically the guide). A pretty good resource for this stuff is a website called "Cord Cutters News".

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
A cheap jail broke firestick and internet will give you everything you could possibly want, and things you don't even want.

It's opening up Pandora's Box for a few bucks.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
I cut the cord 3 years ago. I have the following...

Comcast business
Netflix
Amazon prime
Sling tv blue + hbo
Crunchyroll
Funimation
Amazon basics powered antenna
Also have

Pandora plus
Spotify

1 - 20 of 61 Posts