Read the story .... amazing

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Thorsen, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/07/26/Hillsborough/Freed_man_still_in_li.shtml

Synopsis:

Man is arrested for having a small amount of pot and 58 Vicodin in his vehicle. Pot charge is minor, but that quantity of Vicodin is a felony. Thing is, the guy had a legal prescription for the drug. Florida trial court refuses to allow this to be presented at trial and he is sentenced to 25 years in prison. Two years later the appellate court rules that the trial court was "rediculous" and ordered a new trial. Oh, and to top it all off, the state has already seized all of the man's assets as well under forfeiture laws.

I knew their was a reason I left Florida. It and Kalifornia can fall of the face of the map and I wouldn't miss either one.

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I wonder how he had the pills packaged? I'm just guessing that they weren't in a prescription bottle. I also suspect that his past history of drug trafficking and the pot found along with the pills impacted the case. Another issue that comes to mind is that two doctors are mentioned in the article. Were they in practice together, or did he go to separate doctors in an attempt to get multiple prescriptions for the pills.

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I'm sure his past history had something to do with this charge, but the point I found fascinating was that even though two doctors were willing to testify for him that they had prescribed the medicine for him, and even though there was no evidence of him using this drug for anything other than what is was prescribed for, the DA still decided to press charges .... and the judge didn't allow his attorney to tell the jury that the drugs were his legally prescribed medication.

If he were guilty of dealing Vicodin, that would be one thing, but from what I can tell he wasn't missing any quantities of the medication. And if he was committing fraud to get the prescription itself, that would be another charge, but I don't see any evidence of that presented either.

From the article, it simply appears that he was holding his legally prescribed quantity of medication and got sent up the river for it.

Moral of the story: Go to the pharmacy more than once a month if you are taking narcotics.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You raise good points. I just don't see them prosecuting on just having prescribed medicine alone though. The pot and his past history almost certainly played a part in it.

Keep in mind that the article was written pretty much from the perspective of the guy getting released. Could be that the prosecutors didn't comment to any usable extent. Could be they weren't asked for a comment.

5. merlock

merlock New Member

+1