Re: California Legal Magazines

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by DogLeg, Dec 8, 2010.

1. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

California Legal Magazines

i'm traveling to california with my handgun and plan on doing some target shooting at the range. i only have 16 round magazines which i know can't be sold to california residents. my question is, is it unlawful to possess 16 round magazines? obviously i won't be carrying while i'm there.

i intend on calling the sheriff's dept where i'll be staying but wanted to check if anyone here knew.

2. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

This is a favorite magazine in San Francisco:

[​IMG]

...but seriously.
    Unless your pistol/rifle was pre-ban then all you can have is 10-rounders.

3. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

yeah you're gonna need to pick up a few 10 rounders...iirc only 22lr are allowed to hold over 10 after the ban unless you owned them in cali...iirc its also illegal to import mags you own now from out of state

4. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Best bet is to just bring ten rounders.

Unfortunately I travel out to Costa Mesa often enough to have a supply....

5. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

6. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

Thanks for this link. This is weird, the gun (Springfield XD9101) i wanted to bring is on the approved list but my case has a sticker that clearly says not California legal with the gun's serial number on it.

I've read other forums regarding high capacity mags in California and this is way more of a hassle than it's worth - buying vs. possessing, possessing vs. importing, purchases grandfathered in, etc... I think I'm just going to bring another gun. Screw California.

7. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

They sell XD's in Cali. You just can't have one with a hi-cap magazine.

I have a bunch of 10-rounders for G31 or any that accepts that mag.
    You can borrow them if you need them.

8. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

The case probably says that so they don't ship normal capacity mags to a restricted capacity state on accident. Or if the safety system is different from what they test or mandate on CA versions.
    -- Or if you have a threaded barrel, they really don't like those either.

9. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

@EmergencyNrse - my XD is chambered in 9mm but thank you for the offer

@45_Fan - that makes sense, thanks

10. papadaca

papadaca Member

my best advice to you is dont bring a gun to California. It is also a Felony offense in that state to a have a magazine that holds over 10 rounds.
    Also if you have a gun in that state. The gun has to be in your trunk in a lock box at all times.
    The clip must be in a lock box as well but in your glove box or vice versa.

I will tell you from personal experience, Leave your gun in Georgia, and only carry into states where gun laws are not strict.
    Also your Georgia conceal carry permit is not recognized in california. Get caught carrying and you will go to jail on a Concealed weapons charge as well as a Loaded weapons charge.
    If you want to go to the shooting range and shoot a gun, rent one of thier's.

11. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I gotta respectfully disagree with you on this one. It is true that your permit is not recognized and that you have to have the gun in a lockbox in your truck. Sucks and is inconvenient.

But...

I at least have mine available while I am in my hotel room at night. That is better than nothing.

Just ensure you have no magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

When I started traveling to California I called the AG's office and got confirmation on the requirements. I knew I was not going to be able to carry, but at least wanted security in my room at night.

Just saying. For me it is never too much trouble to maintain my personal security as best I can.