RBG's dying wish..

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by HJB, Sep 27, 2020.

1. HJB

HJB Active Member

I love the people who think Trump should not appoint a supreme court justice because RBG told someone (her neice or someone) on her deathbed that her dying wish was that the next president be the one to choose her replacement.

Is that the dumbest thing you ever heard from supposedly intelligent people ?

I'm kind of with Trump on this anyway. I believe this is probably some baloney that was made up by Pelosi and Schumer.

2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

In 2016 she was quoted as saying "there's nothing in the constitution that says the president has to stop being president in an election year. "

So clearly her wishes are that trump act as president and appoint her replacement.

3. HJB

HJB Active Member

Oh, I don't necessarily think that is clear what she wanted that. But the fact is, the republicans are in the driver's seat and that is what they want and the constitution supports that.

Do the democrats think we are stupid enough to believe that if they had controlled the Senate that they would not have put Garland on the SCOTUS ?
    Case closed !

4. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

While I get and agree with your point, had the Dems controlled the Senate in 2016, they would NOT have confirmed Garland because Obama's nominee would have been far, far to the left of him, and they would have confirmed that person.

The Garland nomination was a trap for the Republicans. Obama was saying, "sure, I'll happily offer up a candidate who's center-left to succeed one of the most conservative justices. If the Senate doesn't confirm him, the Republicans get grief for it." Win for Obama either way. I have to wonder if Merrick Garland knew he was just a pawn.

atlsrt44 likes this.
  5. HJB

HJB Active Member

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Her last wish means nothing. Just follow the constitution.

MSgt G and Broadside Bob like this.
  7. pml

pml Active Member

I don't know if you know how they treat the elderly, near death. The doctors give them heavy sedatives over the last week to ease the pain and anxiety of dying. She probably couldn't even talk. I know this because I lost my father, 92, and my mother-in-law, 97, in the past year and a half.

8. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

That's a good observation: if there is some element of palliative end-of-life care involved, one cannot really assume the person is sound of mind (an issue in cases of assisted suicide, as well).

Supposedly, the "fervent request" was several days before her death (versus a deathbed "last words" kind of thing), and there are witnesses, but in this day and age, if you really wanted to toss a wrench into the wheels, you would video the statement.

Anyway, my view is "if there is a rule follow it, unless somehow it's not possible to follow it, in which case follow the spirit of the rule". There's simply no reason to delay the vote (yes, the GOP broke the rules in 2016 with Garland, but as they say, two wrongs don't make a right... so things should proceed according to the law.)

Barrett seems very qualified. Frankly, I was expecting another standard Trump roadie/yes-man totally unqualified for the position (like Candace Owens or Kaitlin Bennett or some other completely silly pick), so an actual professional with legal qualifications is a breath of fresh air.

(Besides, she'll trend left as she ages: nearly all Justices do.)

DH

pml likes this.
  9. HJB

HJB Active Member

What rules did the GOP break in 2016 ?

Remember what Obama told us...."elections have consequences"

MSgt G and Broadside Bob like this.
  10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I figured it was not to die.

Savannah Dan likes this.
  11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The Senate didn't break any rules regarding Garland's nomination in 2016. McConnell was following precedence.

https://pjmedia.com/columns/tyler-o...ring-trumps-potential-rbg-replacement-n944776

12. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

We have a lot of extreme longevity (100+) in my family, and in hanging out with the 90+ crowd, it's been my experience that they're pretty cool about death. They don't necessarily want to hurry it up, but if it happens tomorrow, that's fine, too. 87? About the same.

Plus, she'd put up the good fight with pancreatic cancer (a potentially very bad exit), so I'd guess that she was packed and ready to go.

(I think, too, that "last wishes" are a version of regret, more a thing among those who feel they wasted their lives. It's hard to live a more accomplished life than someone like RBG, who - regardless of how you might feel about her rulings - reached the summit of her profession and contributed to many far-reaching rulings with national, and even global, impact. She delivered her life signed and sealed. Nothing to add really... no need for a "last wish".)

My *guess* - and this is sheer speculation - is that the granddaughter, etc. were approached by someone who suggested that maybe it would be worthwhile leveraging the "last words" tradition for political use... kind of like those folks who rationalize hiding a death to keep those pension checks coming ("he'd want it that way").

Let the dead rest! They've earned it.

DH

13. HJB

HJB Active Member

dhaller still wondering what rules you feel the GOP broke in 2016 ?

Savannah Dan likes this.