Rather proud of myself.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I just ran 1.5 miles without stopping, then walked 2.5 more, then turned around and walked the 4 miles back.

I know 1.5 doesn't sound like much to all you military types, but for a fat SOB like me, it's a helluva feat.

Just felt the need to brag about passing the mile-and-a-halfstone.

2. HannitizedRushBaby

HannitizedRushBaby New Member

Good for you!! I was just sitting here trying to talk myself into hitting the treadmill. *sigh*

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I need to get back at it. Last fall, I had worked my way up to 3 laps around the neighborhood, 4.2 miles.

Congrats!

4. gsusnake

That sounds like fun :D

I'm currently enjoying a cranberry-pomegranate-strawberry-peach-orange smoothie. Mmm mmm good.

5. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Is that you?????

MZ,
    Is that you that I sometimes see at 5:30am jogging/walking in the hood on my way to work?

I don't see how you folks can run / jog like that, I use an elipticle machine at the gym 4 days a week for an hour each session. I used to use a treadmill but the impact on these old bones just to unbareable these days. Beleive it or not exercise is good for you, I just did a cardio stress test last week (being diabetic for the last eleven years) my doctor wanted to make sure there wasn't any problems. The cardiologist said that I am on the extreme low risk for coronary problems and to continue my program. So if I drop dead of a heart attack then I know he lied..... :lol:

6. HannitizedRushBaby

HannitizedRushBaby New Member

Re: Is that you?????

Good for you! Normally I workout simply to look better, but the health aspect is definitely so much more important. My cardiologist is always happy to hear when I have been consistently exercising. I have a hard time maintaining a consistent routine though. I've gotta get my butt into gear... and KEEP it there!

7. gsusnake

I've gotten in to running, changed my diet, and quit smoking because the cardiologist told me I'd have a heart attack by the time I'm 30 if I didn't.

I was recommended to him after going by EMS to my ER for chest pain, tachycardia, and dyspnea... thought I was having a heart attack then and there. I was, at the time, 255 lbs, a 2 pack a day smoker, and was consuming about 3,000 calories a day. I was also averaging a 6-pack of beer a night.

I'm now down to 242 lbs, don't smoke, quit drinking (so much), and have cut down to 2500 calories... I already feel better and Dr. Jain said he noticed a difference in my heart rate and breathing already.

Once I lose all the weight I plan to lose (the beer gut), I'm going to start lifting. I'm too damn young to feel so damn old.

8. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

242 and running a mile and a half? Now that is impressive. I would caution you however. Running can be very hard on the knees, especially for the hefty ones. (Heck, I can tell a read difference between being 120lbs and 140lbs.) You may want to look into cycling. Not only do you get to go a lot faster, you get to sit on your butt and have a drink the whole time. If you find that running is really it for you, do yourself a favor and always wear good shoes and try to run on dirt more than pavement. Your body will thank you.

9. gsusnake

Three knee surgeries later, I am being careful. The only reason I got into such bad shape was because I got injured during a jujitsu match and was on crutches for freakin' ever.

I have custom-made orthotics for my flat feet (thank you, McMahan shoes), wear good shoes that I replace regularly, and I run mostly on dirt.

And the 242 is on a big frame... my personal ideal weight is somewhere around 220. I'm 6'0" and have broad shoulders, so when I start working on putting on muscle, 220 will be perfect.

10. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: Is that you?????

The guy with the flashlight and reflective vest? No, that's not me.

That's Buck, he lives on the corner of my street in the white house.

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Woot!
    Someone finally mentioned hashers.
    :D

Let me be the first to recommend WWW.MGH4.COM that's the group I founded down here in middle Ga about 5 years ago. The website (also mine) gives pretty much a complete description of what you can expect out of most of the Georgia hash groups.
    I know you are a bit north, go to the links page & I have several of the Atlanta area hashes linked there. You can run basically every day of the week in Atlanta. Twice on Sats. It's great fun & the way I got into seriously running. I'm not great but I ain't bad either. I finished the Peachtree in 52 minutes, my first marathon this spring at 4 hours & 38 minutes, and this past weekend my wife and turned in a pretty good time, and I think won for 2 person coed (won't know till the final results post), at a local 6 hour adventure race. Those are the best fun going in my book.

Let me know if you ever want to give it a try. Once you hash you will not go back to just road running again!!

12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

That's great gsu. My exercise routine usually goes something like this.... During commercial, get up from recliner, go to frig, return to recliner. Repeat as needed.

My wife and I talk about excersing. Mostly she talks...mostly I listen. We do need to seriously start to exercise. My doc always ask me how is your excersing going....my response is I think about it a good bit. Does loading mags count? How 'bout cleaning weapons? He says that doesn't count. Imagine that.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Have you thought about weightlifting instead, so that your knees will still permit you to walk when you are 40?

14. M249

M249 New Member

Great news, GSU! If it is at all possible for you to run in grass or on sand, I highly recommend it. Concrete is terrible on your knees, asphalt is not as bad, and the rubberized asphalt on tracks is even better, but none of them are as good as grass for helping absorb impact. If you're going to run on concrete, make sure you get some good inserts for your running shoes. I also highly recommend alternate your running with biking, or even better swimming.

Swimming is the most effective exercise I've ever tried. I was in great shape when I took my 200m swim test for my SCUBA cert, and I thought I was going to die! :)

15. gsusnake

Cardio is the way to go for fat burning. I don't currently have access to a gym or weights to lift (not enrolled in classes right now, but I will be in fall) so it's running or nothing.

16. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I hear sex is pretty good exercise. Have you tried that?

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

High Metabolism rate FTW :)

19. gsusnake

Every chance I get.

Dry spell right now, unfortunately.