Rare ODI Viking Seecamp design .45 Auto `1911 based

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by Puffyfish, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Rare ODI Viking Seecamp design .45 auto based on the 1911 but double action. This design inspired the modern S&W autos and the Colt Double Eagle. All stainless steel right down to the mag. Includes the original bag and mag from the factory. Low round count and comes with target night sights from the factory. Word has it that when Seecamp died and shut down there were still 1500 frames and parts left over. ODI bought them and made these guns. Along with his, these were the first DA/SA 1911 autos ever made.
    It has one flaw, the front blade came off. Five minutes with a smith and you are good to go. Uses 1911 mags. Good luck finding another.

$650 FIRM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Now, That's an example of machining craftsmanship. :righton:

3. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Yeah, you can see from the back shot it's tight. No slop at all. Then there is the trigger assembly very well done, all in stainless.

4. bearpugh

bearpugh New Member

who is odi? never heard of them. american?

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

6. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

I thought there were 1400 or so. My buddy just called me on it. "I told you there were only 400 you idiot.."
    [s:a195zxb7]Ok, only 400 ever made.[/s:a195zxb7] These are all Seecamp parts & frames. It shoots great and has a nice balance.
    I'll have it at the gunshow next weekend at the Farmers Market on Saturday @ the GCO booth if anyone would like to see it.

I was right it was 1400 or so.

7. vhinch

vhinch New Member

You definitely don't see many of the ODI's around any more. They're a nice addition to a serious 1911 reference collection.

Couple of minor points on the history-

Louis Seecamp manufactured approximately 2000 conversions, all hand built customs. In 1980, well before his death in 1989, he licensed his design to ODI, who manufactured the ODI Viking between 1980 and 1982 as a production, rather than custom, double action 1911 conversion. The parts were all manufactured by ODI under license from Seecamp, but they were not Seecamp made parts. After ODI went out of business, Essex Arms bought out their remaining stock of parts, which did not include any frames. Depending on who you ask, Essex manufactured somewhere between 200 and 500 frames that were built up using the remaining ODI parts and sold as such.
    Source: Larry Seecamp - Louis' son and owner of L.W. Seecamp, Inc., manufacturer of the Seecamp .380 pocket pistol.

S&W's first semi auto was the model 39, introduced in 1954. Louis Seecamp began building 1911 conversions in the early 1970's, and ODI built their guns in 1980-1982 as noted above.

The first DA/SA auto was the Walther PP, introduced in 1929. Again, quite a bit earlier.

8. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

I was referring to the 1911 line my err. I'm well aware of the Walther.

This one is ODI the Essex did not come with the bag. I've seen an Essex, the fit was loose compared to this one, almost sloppy, even at the bushing. It had plain sights and didn't shoot well at all. This one is tight & tuned. Now I get to jam my friend back I was right on the amount of frames made.

The gun is a joy to shoot and can be carried hammer down. If you have ever spent much time with a DA revolver the long first pull is quite nice and the follow up pull quite predictable.