Range with a rental LCR?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Dawgdoc, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any ranges in the Atlanta area that rents a Ruger LCR (preferrably 38 special)? We will be traveling to Macon soon, and my wife wants to shoot a LCR. She currently has an LCP that she does not carry, but she might carry more if she had a gun that she actually liked to shoot.

A range open on Sundays would be a plus, also.

So far up here, I have not found an LCR to even try the trigger on. Two local stores did not have them, Academy had one busy worker but we got tired of waiting, and Cabela's will not remove the trigger locks ever since they got bought by Bass Pro (I literally laughed at the idea of buying a gun without trying the trigger).

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I think Hi Caliber has one and they open at 1pm on Sunday (Holly Springs off I575).

3. Dawgdoc

Thanks. I'm going to email a couple of places also.

4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Just MHO but the LCR is not much fun to shoot, either. A better option, have her try the 380 EZ Shield. I bet she'll like it a lot better than the LCR or the LCP.

FYI, Adventure Outdoors has both the 380 EZ and the LCR in .38 spec for rent. But we aren't open Sundays.

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Wild West Traders also has both the 380EZ and the LCR. Open Sunday 11:00amto 6:00pm.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The Ruger LCR may be equally snappy on recoil as any alloy-frame .38 snubby or a compact 9mm, but the trigger pull feels lighter than most small revolvers or true DAO automatics.

If she is looking for a gun that is more ENJOYABLE to shoot, one that she will look forward to using at the range, and practicing with it won't be a chore to check off her "things I've got to do even if I don't want to" list, that S&W 380 Shield EZ ought to be perfect. But, it's physically a larger gun. Close to a Glock 19 in size. Great for the range, but not quite as easy to carry concealed.

If she's willing to go up in size to get a more comfortable gun that recoils less and shoots tighter groups on the target, also consider the 3" barreled, adjustable-sighted version of the Ruger revolver, called the LCR-x.

This one is shown with full sized grips, rather than concealed carry grips, but I think you can buy and install the smaller grip, which I would do. The longer barrel and longer sight radius are the good points of this model.
    [​IMG]

7. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

The three inch barrel LCR X is a more comfortable gun to shoot at the range, for sure. It's also relatively light in weight, but...a bit too large for most people to carry, even in a handbag. Yes, a smaller grip for the revolver will help that. The 380 EZ Shield from S&W is a good compromise, big enough for good grip and recoil control, and about the same size as a 9mm Shield. And, of course, it is easy (EZ) to pull the slide and to load the 8 round magazine.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  8. Dawgdoc

I had read about the EZ Shield, but had not thought about it. She likes shooting the Smith and Wesson Model 10, and she has some difficulty (but manages) every semi-automatic slide we own. The Model 10 is her nightstand gun, so to speak.

She is extremely small framed (barely over 100 pounds after two children), so the LCP is the best for concealing. Besides the recoil, she has problems with the trigger itself. So I thought an LCR, which many say has the best DAO revolver trigger, combined with not having to worry about semi-auto function, might be worth a try.

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

You might also look into the S&W air weight.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

You may want to check out Eagle Gun Range in Macon. Not sure if they have want you want but their only a phone call away.

www.eaglegunrange.com