Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what are some examples of bad range etiquette (indoor/out). I've been shooting at 3 different indoor ranges in the last 10 years. I usually go during off peak times to avoid crowds so I haven't had a bad experience. My only pet peeve is when someone shoots right next to you when there's a whole bunch of empty booths to choose from.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
people that get a little to overzealous with the broom pushing brass all over the place

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I recently shot at a range where one of my “partners†noticed used Obama targets in the trash. Now, I’m no fan of Obama’s politics but I do think that this is in poor taste.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Violating Cooper's rules.
Violating other range safety rules.
Any type of shooting that misses the backstop entirely.
Any type of shooting where the bullet impacts a non-target surface (floor, bench, etc) before the backstop.
Practicing shooting styles learned from bad movies and TV.
Testing unproven new super-ultra-magnum handloads.
Calling CEASE-FIRE repeatedly for giggles.
Issuing range commands without authorization or authority.
Blocking any aisles or walkways.
Shooting at others' targets.
Using the next lane for storage or a workbench.
Informing others they'd shoot better with a 1911/H&K/Glock/whatever. If they wanted to try that, they'd ask if they could shoot yours. ;)
Otherwise generally breaking the Golden Rule.

Oh, and maybe ranting about politics. Everybody at the range likely supports the 2A, but not everybody there is going to agree on all other issues.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
45 posted a great list above. I can tolerate bad etiquette (some people are new, some are just ignorent of common practices at the range, etc.) as I can always voice my opinion if I feel someone is out of line about something. The issue is safety - the 'people' (self-edit:I had a much uglier yet descriptive word there prior to 'people') that I take issue with are the people that violate the range safety rules by loading guns behind the firing line, pointing weapons across lanes, shooting at other people's targets, rapid fire, quick draws, etc.
I shoot in Cumming and, fortunately, the range there (like any good range) has a zero tolerance policy for that. I haven't had to have anyone removed from the range to-date, but I have had to speak to a couple of people that were completely new to guns about what they were doing and I've seen a few others pulled from the range. Unfortunately it only takes one stupid mistake for someone to get seriously hirt.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
The jerks that get behind you and watch you shoot.
Beat it ! this is my little bit of time and place.

Maybe they are just real impressed with my accuracy and technique ?
no, can't be that

·
Registered
535 Posts
New2Atlanta said:

no, can't be that
Hey! I like to watch others shoot while i reload a magazine. maybe learn something. see what weapon they have. make sure they aren't doing stupid things.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
New2Atlanta said:

no, can't be that
i was at one indoor place, and heard a machine gun. sure enough in the next bay is a guy with a silenced full auto Uzi-- now who gets to have those for a duty weapon???

·
Registered
949 Posts
pockets said:
What about those who shoot a lot of .22 and smoke the place up?
I hope that wouldn't be a problem at an indoor range, at least not if they have a good ventilation system. I have only seen our range get smoked up when we have a lot of shooters and our filters are getting close to needing a change. Anyway I like to shoot .22 it's cheap.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nothing wrong with .22s in my book, smoke or not - they're just folks that a) enjoy shooting on the cheap, b) enjoy refining their technique on the cheap, or c) are starting out with a smaller gun. Good on them.

My pet peeve is somebody who manages to hold their gun in exactly the right place in the lane next to me in order to pop hot brass in my face with each round fired. Dittos on using the lane next door if the entire line's empty.

And safety violations - waay beyond pet peeve.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
I hate when I hear someone "teaching" someone new to shooting and they are teaching them wrong.....or giving them generally incorrect information. :?

Also, and it's not really a pet peeve but kids make me nervous at the range. I know they have to learn and my dad took me but they still make me nervous. (no offense to anyone) :hide:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
hgmike said:
45_Fan said:
Shooting at others' targets.
:shock: wow, i really can't imagine how i would react if someone starting shooting at my target.
I was at Johns Mountian WMA range one time and some idiot kept shooting my target with his mosin nagant... We shared words and it didn't happen again. According to my girlfriend I was a little profane, but i got my point across loud and clear and it didn't happen again.

For the record, don't go to John's Mountain on a Saturday or Sunday... That's when the crazies come out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It gets annoying when someone to your left, usually a rookie or just someone with no common sense gets too far forward and all of their brass ejects over the dividing wall and lands on you when you are trying to shoot. Many a time I have had to tell people to take one step back and that will keep me from having to wear their brass. Try shooting when you have hot brass flying across your face.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
mpc said:
Docindahouze said:
pockets said:
What about those who shoot allot of .22 and smoke the place up?
oh yeah thats my pet peeves.
With .22 you don't need to be a good shot. You can create a cloud of smoke and disappear like a ninja.
Whats wrong with a little smoke? :twisted:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts