Ran off a drug dealer yesterday

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AzB, Jul 5, 2016.

1. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

We live on a quiet cul de sac in a quiet neighborhood. Several months ago, a house on the street behind us went section 8 and some real ghetto type folks moved in. One of them liked to ride his 4 wheeler up and down our street on occasion, and I'd already made a note of him, where he lived, and his patterns. For one thing, he apparently doesn't have a job (neither do I, but I'm retired and he's a healthy young man) as he rides that stupid 4 wheeler around all day long.

So I hear the 4 wheeler coming down the road and I stealthily peek out behind my blinds and see him stop in the middle of the cul de sac and make a phone call. Then he just sat there. It was odd, so I continued watching. Less than a minute later, a shiny new VW sedan with two white kids (the guy on the 4 wheeler is black) drive up next to him. I clearly saw the kids hand him money and he handed back a dark colored bag. I was watching from an upstairs window that has a perfect view of the whole cul de sac so I could everything really well.

Not 20 minutes later, he does the same thing. This time I head out the door just as a middle aged white woman (extremely skinny, looks like a long history of drug and/or alcohol related problems with bad teeth, etc) in a ratty car pulls up. I circle around them so I'm coming up from behind them and also so they don't know which house I came out of. As I'm walking up, I see her pass him money, and I'm amazed that they haven't seen me yet. I finally get right up to them, he finally sees me and looks surprised. I say "Hey guys, you live around here?" He says "Yeah, I live over that way" and points to the right. The woman doesn't say anything. He's lying as I know good and well where he lives as I know everything that goes on in my neighborhood.

So I say, "I'm going to give both of you one warning, and one warning only. This is my street and nobody deals drugs on my street." The guy says "We're not dealing drugs." And I say, "You're lying, just like you're lying about where you live." And I tell him where he actually lives. At this point, he's freaking out. I know where he lives, I know what he's doing, and it's not adding up in his feeble little brain. I came out of seemingly nowhere, and I know all this stuff? I tell him if he wants to deal drugs do it in front of his own house and not mine.

The woman is staying out of it, never says a word. I repeat my warning and add, "If I see either one of you on this street again, it will be very bad. Your best bet is if I call the cops, and I rarely rely on the cops to do anything."

The guy starts apologizing and telling me he didn't know it was my street and meant no disrespect, etc. I tell them to go, and they take off. He actually looked scared. Keep in mind that I'm a pretty big guy, almost twice what this guy was, and look a lot younger than my actual age. So it's not like Grandpa just walked up on them with his cane.

Now, I don't care if you want to smoke a little weed now and then, but the stuff is still illegal here. We have families and kids in this neighborhood and I don't want illegal stuff going down with all of the negative fallout that occurs. Not to mention that that 4 wheeler going up and down the road all the time was pretty annoying.

At any rate, I haven't seem him at all since.

What do you think? How would you have handled it?

Az

2. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Not that way. I personally would make sure one of my surveillance cameras were set up to record any transactions. After I got a few of these recorded, I would let the local fuzz know about it. If they didn't do anything about it, then I am on the phone with my county commissioner. Now, I understand not wanting people to deal drugs in their 'hoods, but from what I know, drug dealers are not friendly folks and I don't need to be kept up all hours of the night waiting to see if he calls in a hit with his gangster buddies. I would guess that 75% of the shootings in this city are attributed to drugs. But...that's just me.

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Were you wearing a fedora with a goatee and glasses?[​IMG]

4. Darklock

Darklock Active Member

I like your method. If more folks stood up for their neighborhoods like that, the dealers would have nowhere to hide.Calling the cops would probably not have any results.

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I think you done good.Just keep a eye on sport.You gave him the choice of relocating his business venture, not closing it down.

6. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I think you handled it well. If everyone handled things like this instead of getting the police involved for every little thing, this sort of thing wouldn't be as common.
    Most people don't handle things this way....it's mostly the criminals that do it. You can't count on neighbors helping you out when 4 of them start pounding on you. They are too busy getting it on film behind a locked door.

7. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I do like the direct approach. Are you in the city limits of
    Duluth, or unincorporated Gwinnett? Duluth cops would
    have likely investigated.

8. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Just outside the Duluth city limits.

Gwinnett cops are pretty good, but they're also very overworked and stretched pretty thin.

Also, I'm not sure sending this guy to jail would do much in the long run, except maybe make him a more hardened criminal.

I'm not too worried about him. He's young and dumb, and I didn't hurt him or cause him to get busted. I just ran him out of my neighborhood.

I haven't seen him since, so I think he got the message. If there is any danger for me, he still has no idea who I am, where I live, or what car I drive. The way my neighborhood is set up, I can see the entrance from my house, and it's a dead end street. Unless he's highly skilled at being stealthy, which his prior behavior would point to not being one of his skill sets, it would be pretty darned hard for him to watch my cul de sac without me seeing him.

Az

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  9. Bendrr

Bendrr Active Member

Oh lovely, we taxpayers are paying for yet another Section 8 home in a previously nice neighborhood and one of the residents is dealing.

I wish you'd taken the long term approach and gotten video of the transactions, plus license plates. Hope you contact the cops and make a report and these parasites get evicted.

10. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I've never seen that show.

Someday, I probably ought to watch at least an episode or two.

Az

11. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

You do realize he's going to burn your house down while you are away one day....

12. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Glad you nipped it in the bud....that was a pretty ballsy way to handle it, hope there is no retaliation.

GM404 had a good idea with getting some of that on video first...get some incriminating evidence.

You gotta think, if you intimidate them with your size...they will just find other means to deal with you rather than confrontation.

There is a guy across the street from me in my cul-de-sac, he is retired....knows everything that goes on in there, kinda nice to have someone always watching.

13. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

It's an avatar changing show

14. a_springfield

It is kinda slow in the beginning but i watched all the entire season in a week and a half or two weeks with my wife. She would sit down a just turn on Netflix and we would watch an episode or 4 in the evening. Get Netflix to watch well worth the price of admission.

15. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

We have Netflix but rarely watch much on it. We started watching Orange is the New Black but my wife got pretty sick of watching lesbian and shower scenes. I didn't mind as much. ;)

Az

16. a_springfield

My wife loves that show she is binge watching b/c we are canceling cable and internet

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No such thing as watching an episode or two. If you watch the first one or two, you will binge watch the rest like a crack addict, skipping sleep and meals.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Not even in the same class as Breaking Bad. Not even close.

19. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

Good for stopping them, not sure it was the best idea to effectively threaten them though. Just letting them know you were watching and knew what they were doing was probably enough to get the activities moved elsewhere. Threatening them could have resulted in him or his buddies deciding that you needed to be threatened or worse at a later time (probably not 75% of the time, but you don't know that kid or his dealer or his friends); and contrary to Chuck Bronson or Clint Eastwood movies, the good guy doesn't always come out on top when that happens IRL.

20. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Ah..I missed that detail. In that case...I would have done the same thing. I was under the misunderstanding that you basically came out of your house and stopped him in the street. My reading comprehension isn't so great sometimes!