Rampage Silences Gun Bill

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... gguns.html
    By CARLOS CAMPOS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/19/07

The mass shootings at Virginia Tech reached deep into the Georgia Legislature, squashing an expected vote this week on a proposal to expand access to firearms in motor vehicles.

GOP insider politics also played a role in the demise of House Bill 89. But the shooting deaths of 32 people in Blacksburg, Va., chilled discussion of a bill that would have allowed motorists to hide firearms in their cars and leave them there in workplace parking lots.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said the Senate will not take up HB 89 this legislative session, scheduled to end Friday.

"I think [the Virginia Tech attack] clearly was on the minds of every elected official," said Cagle. "You have the worst shooting in history — a very, very tragic situation. Although this particular bill did not specifically address that issue, it was an issue of concern, and the timing was clearly not right."

HB 89 was a hybrid version of two bills, one sponsored by Rep. Timothy Bearden (R-Villa Rica) in the House, the other by Sen. Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock) in the Senate.

Bearden's bill would allow anyone eligible for a concealed weapons permit in Georgia — generally those without a criminal record or history of recent mental illness — to hide a firearm anywhere inside a motor vehicle. Current law requires that firearms be exposed to plain view or hidden in a glove box or center console. Portions of Rogers' Senate Bill 43 were rolled into Bearden's bill and essentially would allow employees to store firearms in their cars while parked at work. Property owners still would be allowed to ban firearms in their lots. But employers would be prohibited from searching their employees' cars unless they own the lot.

The National Rifle Association and other gun rights advocates argued the bills allowed motorists to defend themselves and their families on their commutes to work and while traveling roads and highways.

The bill was already on shaky ground because it was splitting the Republican caucus. The Georgia Chamber of Commerce opposed the bill, saying employers should be able to set workplace rules. Other opponents also pitched it as a property rights issue, even though Rogers insisted on language in the bill that allowed parking lot owners to set their own rules.

But Rogers agreed with Cagle Wednesday that it was time to let the bill die for this session. "It was not the appropriate time to be debating an issue like this," said Rogers, referring to Monday's campus shootings.

The Senate put HB 89 on its agenda for Tuesday, the day after the shootings. But in the morning, the Republican Senate caucus met and expressed its wishes to adjourn without taking up the bill.

The NRA, however, put enormous pressure on lawmakers throughout the day to pass the bill. The group strongly favored the SB 43 portion of the bill. It sent a top official from its Virginia headquarters to monitor the Senate's activities, wrote a letter to senators, and met with many individually.

"HB 89 is NRA's top legislative priority this session in Georgia," read a passage in the letter from Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action. "As such, NRA intends to closely monitor all aspects of this bill — including the scheduling of votes, hostile amendments, votes on final passage and any efforts to avoid voting on this issue."

The letter also noted the bill would "carry significant weight in any future grade and endorsement decisions made by NRA's Political Victory Fund." A poor score on the NRA's legislative report card can make or break campaigns in parts of Georgia. An NRA spokesman did not return a phone call Wednesday seeking comment.

Bearden was disappointed his bill got caught up in the fight over SB 43. He expressed sympathy for the victims of Monday's shootings. But he said greater access to firearms is crucial for people to defend themselves. "If one law-abiding citizen had access to a firearm on that campus," he said, "lives could've been saved."

Cagle, president of the Senate, said he tried to work out a compromise between business and gun owners. But they couldn't find common ground.

"At the end of the day I have no desire to bring a bill to the floor that's going to be this divisive if there's not sufficient votes," Cagle said. "And clearly, both sides could not come to an agreement and the votes were not there to pass the bill."

Staff writer Jim Galloway

contributed to this article.

2. Malum Prohibitum

I emphasized those portions for a reason.

HB 89 was a sure winner until the NRA began screwing around with it. Efforts were being made to strip out the language the NRA added and pass HB 89 as it came out of the House and the Senate Judiciary Committee. Then the NRA sends this letter.

"Hostile amendments" would receive a poor rating from the NRA. In other words, Senators brave enough to fight for gun rights in this state and get HB 89 passed would be punished by the NRA for getting the bill passed and restoring a little of the right to keep and bear arms in this state.

The NRA preferred that the bill die than that the NRA's language, which stalled HB 89, be removed so the bill could be passed.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Somebody get me a copy of that letter.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I agree, the NRA was the one adding hostile amendments to HB 89!!

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Well I called my State Senator and the Rules Committee Chairman. AND I e-mailed them. For what it's worth.