Racial Bias in Carrying a Firearm?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Oct 6, 2017.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

https://youtu.be/cQ29Z48MrmI

I know this is not empirical evidence, and I know it happened in different states, but how many times have I heard from African-American open carriers the treatment that they get from all cops, and how terrible it is, compared to the treatment that I've received from countless police officers while open carrying a handgun, or even carrying a rifle case on the street. I look white, but am bi-racial.

Maybe there is something to this.

What do you think?

Maybe we should do a larger sample size to see.

A few thousand in different open carry states and places should help, but it is interesting.

I'm certainly not calling all officers racist.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

You’re biracial ?
    You look as white as Wonder bread to me!

Attached Files:

3. gunsmoker

Anyhow to answer the substance of your question, yes I think that experienced police officers are often prejudiced, meaning they pre-judge people and make assumptions based on their experiences.
    And any police officer that’s worked in an area that has a significant African-American population will tell you that that group is disproportionately involved in crimes of violence with weapons.

But, on the other hand, I don’t think any cop anywhere has “experience” with any violent criminals openly wearing holstered pistols, so if a cop has that sort of prejudice, it’s not based on real data, but only bias and stereotypes (or genuine racism).

4. EJR914

Thanks, I think :/

5. POPATOP67

POPATOP67 New Member

Personally I have opened carried as well as concealed carry in Ga for most of my life. I am 50. I am all for rights to carry. I almost never conceal my side arm anymore except for church where we don’t want to advertise or security team. I am Caucasian. It really bothers me when we seem to have far right wing and far left wing. Common sensible gun control seems so simple to me but no one wants to meet in middle. I understand why you would want to post this and show video. That certainly is your right. I am also really tired of the racism card being played. Honestly in today’s time there is plenty of concern for anyone walking around with an AR or any style rifle or shotgun on there side. White or any other race would get my attention very fast. I’ve seen several videos on this subject with different results regardless of color. You set out with the intention to get a reaction and you did. Just like any profession there are newbies to veterans and with laws changing constantly back and forth even seasoned veteran officers don’t always now the newest laws as in many professions. Now my point. With people and only a few people going out and gunning innocent folks down I would only hope that someone open carrying a rifle around would be stoped and checked out. And if you think different that’s America and your right to. Just think it’s far sided and narrow minded. Time and place for everything. Lawful to carry in some states openly YES. Responsible and even putting a pit in people’s stomach. NO
    Just my opinion

6. gunsmoker

In 2012, a young black male (who did have a carry permit) walked down a sidewalk with his pistol exposed, or at least the bottom half of his pistol's holster, visible below his tight white "wife beater" undershirt.
    He got the felony take-down treatment at gunpoint.

But, that's Florida. Where only concealed carry is allowed.

Still, I wonder if he'd been white, older, and better dressed, the cops might have done a stop-and-talk with him and reminded him to keep his holstered handgun covered. It's possible.
    I'm just speculating.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qKeJ6jd2Ak[/ame]

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Since that video is in Florida, and I have carried openly in Florida, and I am white, my limited experience indicates that the answer to your question is probably yes.

8. EJR914

Welcome, we can disagree

9. EJR914

I believe so

10. POPATOP67

POPATOP67 New Member

Thanks very true.

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Any LEO that observed you carrying openly must have assumed you were going fishing, camping, hunting, or to the shooting range, as wearing an exposed pistol or even carrying a loaded rifle openly is permitted in Florida under these circumstances, even if not licensed to carry.

But a person who is licensed to carry normally gets face planted if they wear an unconcealed pistol while shopping at a Walmart or Kroger in Florida.

Isn't that crazy? And the Republican lawmakers in Florida are happy that's the way it is. It's for the children tourist dollars.

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

No assumptions. Under what conditions?

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And that assumption would have been correct.

The same assumption was not made with respect to the black man in the video, however, and that is my point.

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I guess all the cops saw was a black man with a gun. Not a black man with a gun encumbered with a bunch of fishing/hunting/shooting gear.