Raccoons - Legal To Kill?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

That would be most worthwhile to see.

Nemo

2. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member

Funny story about raccoons. Virginia used to not have a problem with raccoon rabies until the seventies. Then some hunters transported raccoons from Florida to West Virginia. Now rabies is endemic in the raccoons there. That is probably one of the reasons that states don't want you transporting raccoons anywhere.

Also, raccoons can be infected with a type of roundworm that infects human brains. It will be in their feces, so watch out for that. Children are more vulnerable because they play in the dirt and might not wash their hands.

3. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

I wish they'd do this with the criminals they catch in buckhead.

4. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

That has already happened once several years ago. The legislature passed a law that registered sex offenders could not live within 1000 feet of a place where children congregate. That law forced sex offenders to move to the country. When one lives in the city or the 'burbs, it is difficult to live more than a 1000 feet from a bus stop.

5. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

That would fix 2 problems, 1 the pesky raccoon would be gone and 2 a sorry thief would get a little payback

6. Nemo

If one of the thieves were armed there might be a bit of cleansing in the gene pool.

Nemo

7. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

So lets give the raccoon a gun before putting him in the suitcase

8. Nemo

That would be good. :idea: But it might cause some broken windows on the street and that could flatten a tire. So take a broom to sweep up after the racoon runs through the neighborhood to his safe space.

Nemo

9. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

Ok, I promise I have done nothing at all yet with regard to my racoon problem.

However, I smell a bad order of death in the house, and believe one may have died in the attic.

Questions: Can the odor impart any disease to us? How much should it cost to have someone remove it?

I cannot get into the attic because my balance is not great, and I don't think I could handle the smell up close anyway.

10. mrhutch

mrhutch Member

I think that would fall under the category of really friggin disguising and needs to be handled. There are people that remove dead things professionally. Call one.

11. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member

The odor itself shouldn't cause disease (it might physically nauseate you, but it won't give you anything). Believe me, I have done necropsies on cows whose dead bodies lay in a field for a few days. The smell can be so overwhelming that you think you might die, but it won't actually hurt you.

As the purification process continues, then bacteria-containing body fluids (and other stuff) might leak into places you might not want it to be.

If you did go into the attic, you could try the trick from Silence of the Lambs where they put Vapo-Rub under their noses so they wouldn't smell the bodies. Also, try to breath through your mouth. FWIW, I had a pathology professor tell me that after you have constantly smelled any odor for 20 minutes, you no longer notice it. But stepping out and getting fresh air will renew your sense of smell, and it starts all over again.

12. Scout706

Scout706 Active Member

Another writer, maybe Patricia Cornwell, wrote that the Vapo-rub trick will ruin Vapo-rub for you. It will remind you of the other smell.

13. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I keep a small bottle of peppermint oil to help with smells. Just a drop on the mustache and most smells become tolerable.

Also, open coffee grounds will overpower a lot of bad biological smells. We keep some in the bariatric truck.

and you're right about smells "going away" after a few minutes. If you can bear it, even "week-old obese corpse in sealed, hot south Georgia home in the middle of summer" fades after a while.

14. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

I seen two guys get electrocuted once. I still remember that smell and its been over a decade ago

15. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Smell imprints on the brain very "deeply". Trauma also imprints, and the combo is almost unforgettable. I was given ipecac a lot as a child, and I can still identify that smell at 20yds.

16. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

My mom used to put it in my brother dip cans when we were younger to try and stop him from dipping but that didnt work

17. Scout706

Scout706 Active Member

The memory part of the brain is close to the smell part of the brain - so I've heard. Closer than hear, feel, see, and taste (parts of the brain).

18. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

Okay, about that smell. It was either a dead baby racoon that the mother removed, or a very bad smelling trash can that was causing the smell. No more bad smell is happening now.

We still have scurrying noises in the attic, and I've emailed Nicholas Petty with HandyChoice.net to see if he can help.

19. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

Okay, I just got a hunting license and found out it does not include trapping. I can get a free landowner trapping license, but the law says I have to dispatch the animals with a .22 rimfire, but I'm too close to a road to do that legally. So what gives?

I want to get rid of nuisance raccoons that still break into my attic.

20. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Can you trap them in a live catch trap, then drown them?