Raccoons - Legal To Kill?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Active Member

Is it legal to kill raccoons on my property using a high powered BB gun?

They've been damaging my attic and roof. I'll try some kind of repellent first, but if I see them in the yard, I want to dispatch them. Any restrictions on time of year, such as any kind of hunting season?

I'm just in a residential area, no acreage to speak of, in Gwinnett.

2. BillP1958

BillP1958 Proud American

3. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

Call game warden and make a complaint and get special permit to dispose of them. That way when your nosey neighbors call the cops telling them you are pointing a gun at houses etc, you won't get arrested!

4. FrontSight

FrontSight Member

Get a live trap from Tractor Supply (about $30) and bait with dry dog food. Catch a release outside town.

5. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

It is illegal in ga to trap a raccoon on your property and release it else where.

But trapping them is easy i have a problem at my house with raccoons. I bait the trap with marshmallows. Marshmallows is their favorite food. I tried cat food and sardines and only caught possums. Then a 22 to the back of the head ends them quickly and humanely.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Then you must skin them out and make a Daniel Boone hat.

Nemo

jlw253 likes this.
  7. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

This is a bad idea. DNR does this with bears they catch in the city. They turn the damn things loose about 5 miles from my house, you know, that "released in the North Georgia Mountains unharmed" thing you hear from every newscast about a bear in Buckhead.

8. AzB

AzB Active Member

It's always funny when people that choose to live in the boonies complain about the wildlife. :-D

Catch and relocating wild animals by civilians in Georgia was illegal last I checked. You may want to look into this before getting involved. As for the DNR catch and release programs, I was involved in helping with them back in the 80s and they never released anything, especially a known troublemaking bear, anywhere near where anyone lived.

Az

9. mrhutch

mrhutch Member

Illegal to relocate. But it is currently raccoon hunting season. Find the entrance to your attic and seal it off properly, first and foremost. Then eliminate the problem. You can also get what are called dog proof traps, that are a modified leg hold trap for raccoons, run about $15 at cabelas. Put it by the side of your house baited with a marshmallow. Only a raccoon will be able to reach down into it for the bait and it will grab his paw. You will be able to dispatch easily.

10. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

Az,

I am not complaining about wildlife. I am complaining about relocated bears.

When a bear is caught in Atlanta, the news story is always the same. The animal is trapped and relocated to the North Georgia Mountains, unharmed. If I call 911 about a bear in my trash, I am told that I have to live with it as I live in the mountains. I still think that if my tax money can be expended on transporting bears from the city to the country, it should work the other way also. I should be able to complain about a bear, have DNR trapped the animal and release it unharmed in Buckhead.

All of that said, I have a young bear that lives near me. I see him occasionally when I am mowing the grass. I also have turkey, whippoorwills, quail and the occasional large cat in the neighborhood too.

11. mb90535im

mb90535im Active Member

Momma bear and three cubs visiting back in August.

[​IMG]

12. Archangel

Archangel Super Moderator Staff Member

OK I have to admit that one almost made me spew my coffee...

:rotfl2:

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Hey if you get coon, you MUST make a hat out of it.

Nemo

14. BillP1958

BillP1958 Proud American

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zracoon3.html

15. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

Lmao oh yea this cracked me up to. However i think it should be released at the atlanta walmarts on black friday

16. mrhutch

mrhutch Member

It would probably call DNR and beg to be relocated to the mountains

17. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

Lol i would say that you are probably right. Or call bubbageek and beg him to pick them up.

18. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

That's not happening. Ya'll can keep your city bears.

19. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

Lol ya'll? Im probably closer to you than most. I frequent blue ridge often.

20. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

best way to dispose of the raccoon you live trap is to put it in an old suitcase (couple bucks at garage sale) set it next to a bus stop and park across the street. wait for it to be "stolen" and follow that car for a minute..........