Rabies

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by John ), Dec 8, 2019.

1. John )

John ) Member

I'm out raking my front dirt I call a lawn. My German Shephard is at my backyard gate barking. I'd locked her out 30 minutes before so I thought she wanted in. I opened the gate and turn to see the direction she is going. Oh CRAP! there is a racoon 50 feet away sitting on my lawn. He was 30 feet from me raking and I never saw him. My dog is good with voice commands and I got her in the front door. The racoon is just standing there kind of rocking a little. No sign of fear, no reaction. I pulled my sidearm in case he charged me and called the FCSO . I saw a neighbor and waved him over. He watched the animal as I retrieved my 22 rifle. The racoon slowly walked and staggered across the lawn. Falling over by my cars. It started walking around the house. I would have killed it before it got to my back yard. That's where I let my dogs run. By now the S.O. showed up. The animal laid down on the side of the house while the Officer made some calls to animal control. Find out they will not touch it unless someone is bit or scratched. He said OK lets do this so I shot it, thing staggers. 3 shots and some embarrassment later it stopped moving. With warm weather and sun the virus can live out of the animal for a few hours to a few days. Dumped it in the trash as recommended by the Officer. Clorox the shovel and the blood on the ground.

Harhib likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

You did smart thing.

Nemo*

*added later
    might think about more range time with that rifle

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    MaricopaKid likes this.

3. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Could have also been distemper, which is more common in coons but also transferable to dogs. Either way, killing it and disposal without contact was the way to go. A properly vaccinated dog shouldn't have anything to worry about but stitches if it got bit good enough though.

4. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Been there. Helluva feeling seeing something like that. Maybe that dog should get a treat, cause I think he knew that critter was around long before you saw it. Good job on dispatching it.

Don't be embarrassed, I had to take down a fox that was also infected. 5 shots to bring it down with a 22WMR. It wasn't the aim or placement, With every shot it just got more and more Pis*ed off and writhed around like it was on steroids. Got a friend that needed help with a racoon with same problem. 20 gauge, one shot, done.

5. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Rabies has a similar effect in animals as meth does to humans. They can soak up a surprising amount of lead before they run out of steam.

6. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Sounds like the racoon had the dumb form of rabies (as opposed to the furious form).

We had a similiar situation with a homeowner in Chattanooga. The woman called 911 because a neurological raccoon was in her yard and threatening her when she tried to leave the house. They wouldn't send animal control because it had not bit anyone yet, but they also told her she couldn't shoot it because she was in the city limits. She called me for help. I suggested she call her city council rep and the news; that spurred animal control to do their job.

I see this problem in multiple jurisdictions--the government appoints itself to be the caretaker of all unowned animals (in the form of animal control and wildlife resource agencies), but none of them want to take care of the obviously sick and suffering raccoons when necessary.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good job, John. - but you should've used the Mac-11! :righton:

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Like someone smart said a bunch of times. Always use enough gun.

Nemo

9. John )

John ) Member

I have sub divisions on 2 sides and I wanted it in 1 piece. Besides didn't need ear protection. thing was only 20-25 lbs.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

In the future if that's not an issue, consider the Lahti 20mm. Noisy but lots of fun.

[​IMG]

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I witnessed a friend shoot an armadillo with a 300 Rem Ultra Mag. From about 25 yards.

The biggest piece we saw afterward looked about the size of my fist. A lot of pink mist in the air for a few seconds after impact.

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm surprised a .22 magnum rifle, whose bullets should leave the muzzle at nearly 2000 f/sec, didn't quickly kill a 25-lb raccoon.

13. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

First shot aimed for chest area, it moved, went in at shoulder, after that writhing around biting at the air, barking, growling. All other shots aimed for head or chest area. Last shot it had quit moving so much, got clear head shot to finish it off. Only one that ever did that. I own animals, respect all of nature, but still felt bad about that one.

And you are right. However, I looked the animal over to see how many times I hit it. five out of six in soft body tissue. Approx 20 feet. All that did was punch straight through. except for the last shot to the head, cracked like an egg.

In this scenario I believe the magnum was too much gun for the small distance I had.
    Squirrels at 40 feet up and a head shot, works every time. 20 ga at 20 feet is just more humane. And yes it is a bigger gun.

14. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Ideally, if you have to kill a rabid animal, you try not to damage the head. It sounds like there was no choice here, though. The reason is to preserve the brain for testing and decrease exposure to the infected neurological tissue.

Baba Yaga likes this.
  15. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

I understand completely, confirmation would be nice for potential alert to the public of a developing situation, but this was not one of those times.

16. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

What I shot was a large Fox. I believe OP shot the racoon.