R. Lee Ermey Dead at 74

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GlockGary, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM.

1. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

2. Glockenator

Glockenator Village idiot

What a shame. I've read over the years that he was a really nice guy, as well as a true patriot. And of course, an iconic actor. I may have to watch my copy of FMJ again soon, even though it's only been a few months.

3. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

He was a nice guy. My brother met him at a meet and greet in SC. The only thing my brother had for him to autograph was a couple of 1911 magazines, which Mr. Ermey did cheerfully.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Was he still on the NRA's Board? Is his seat now up for grabs in the next NRA election?

5. Glockenator

Glockenator Village idiot

He also had a small part as a helicopter pilot in Apocalypse Now. I knew he was an honorary Gunny, but I didn't realize that he actually was a D.I., as a staff sergeant, in the Marines.

My dad was at Parris Island back in that era, and he said that FMJ was quite realistic in the boot camp parts. He even saw a recruit get his teeth knocked out by a D.I. for backtalking him.

And just like my mother's 2nd husband, Ermy was a hellraiser in his late teens, and after his 2nd arrest, the judge told him: Jail or the Marines. They both chose the latter, and both ended up in 'Nam.