Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to why we don't want to the probate court getting our ssn? If we have to do it in order to get our fingerprints done, which goes to the fbi and such, won't the probate court just get it from there?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
It is not just them it is anyone who wants to use the SSN as an ID. With as much security fraud going around, the fewer places that have my name and SSN listed on it the better.

Also the Probate Court keeps the apps for 9 years or so while the fingerprint cards are usually destroyed soon after processing.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
carvnthetwisties said:
If we have to do it in order to get our fingerprints done, which goes to the fbi and such, won't the probate court just get it from there?
But you do NOT have to disclose your SSN to provide your fingerprints . . .
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
I always feel bad about asking for SSN info at work, when we're updating the patient database.

Very, very few people have a problem with giving it out... it's protected under HIPAA which reassures most folks, but all you have to do is search "HIPAA arrests SSN" on google and you'll see all the folks that have access to demographic info who've gone to jail for a very long time for falsifying Medicare claims and identity theft and such.

I work there, and my SSN isn't listed in the computer system, and I get a call from the business office every couple months or so asking me to please provide it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
carvnthetwisties said:
If we have to do it in order to get our fingerprints done, which goes to the fbi and such, won't the probate court just get it from there?
But you do NOT have to disclose your SSN to provide your fingerprints . . .
I do understand it is for security fraud, I just had a bad time at the detention center today.

Please tell me this is true!! I had an encounter today while getting the fingerprints done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
I always feel bad about asking for SSN info at work, when we're updating the patient database.

Very, very few people have a problem with giving it out... it's protected under HIPAA which reassures most folks, but all you have to do is search "HIPAA arrests SSN" on google and you'll see all the folks that have access to demographic info who've gone to jail for a very long time for falsifying Medicare claims and identity theft and such.

I work there, and my SSN isn't listed in the computer system, and I get a call from the business office every couple months or so asking me to please provide it...
Your social isn't with them, but is with big bad fed and the state for tax stuff, right?
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
gsusnake said:
I always feel bad about asking for SSN info at work, when we're updating the patient database.

Very, very few people have a problem with giving it out... it's protected under HIPAA which reassures most folks, but all you have to do is search "HIPAA arrests SSN" on google and you'll see all the folks that have access to demographic info who've gone to jail for a very long time for falsifying Medicare claims and identity theft and such.

I work there, and my SSN isn't listed in the computer system, and I get a call from the business office every couple months or so asking me to please provide it...
Your social isn't with them, but is with big bad fed and the state for tax stuff, right?
Not saying that I trust Daddy.gov, but there are a whole lot of people I work with whom I trust even less.

And the whole reason the bidness office wants it is so they can report me to collections if I don't pay a bill.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
carvnthetwisties said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
carvnthetwisties said:
If we have to do it in order to get our fingerprints done, which goes to the fbi and such, won't the probate court just get it from there?
But you do NOT have to disclose your SSN to provide your fingerprints . . .
I do understand it is for security fraud, I just had a bad time at the detention center today.

Please tell me this is true!! I had an encounter today while getting the fingerprints done.
Below was taken from a case GCO filed on behalf of a GCO member.
Why would federal law for local judges be different than local sheriffs?

http://www.georgiacarry.com/county/cher ... plaint.pdf
Section 7(a)(1) of the Privacy Act provides, It shall be unlawful for any federal, state, or local government agency to deny any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual s refusal to disclose its Social Security Number.
In enacting Section 7, Congress sought to curtail the expanding use of Social Security Numbers by federal and local agencies and, by so doing, to eliminate the threat to individual privacy and confidentiality of information posed by common numerical identifiers.
Boyle v. Wilson, 529 F. Supp., 1343, 1348 (D. Del. 1982))(S.Rep. No. 1183, 93 Congress, 2d Sess. Reprinted in (1974) U.S. Code Cong. & Ad. News 6916, 6944).
There is another quote I am looking for, the actual text of the law... I will post it when I find it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
Oops I meant the second part of the law that requires disclosure.

7b of the privacy law
Any federal, state, or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose his Social Security Account Number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by which statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and which uses will be made of it.
remember any of that being on the fingerprint card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, the sheriff deputy and I started the info stuff before the fingerprinting, and then he got to the ssn and work info, I then said why do you need it, I'm not giving it to you, he just said, the fbi wants its so I'm gonna give it to em. I told him I wasn't gonna do it, he closed out the info, pulled out the cartridge for my cards, handed them to me, and said quit wasting my time, I got better things to do, I told him that was f ing bs, in those terms, so after a stare down contest, he says go somewhere else if you want it done, I threw him my drivers license and said do it, do it then.

So then we proceeded to finish. That's the story.

If I am wrong, then if I apologize.

That's why I am asking.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
carvnthetwisties said:
well, the sheriff deputy and I started the info stuff before the fingerprinting, and then he got to the ssn and work info, I then said why do you need it, I'm not giving it to you, he just said, the fbi wants its so I'm gonna give it to em. I told him I wasn't gonna do it, he closed out the info, pulled out the cartridge for my cards, handed them to me, and said quit wasting my time, I got better things to do, I told him that was f ing bs, in those terms, so after a stare down contest, he says go somewhere else if you want it done, I threw him my drivers license and said do it, do it then.

So then we proceeded to finish. That's the story.

If I am wrong, then if I apologize.

That's why I am asking.
Wrong? You mean to give in? Yes, you were wrong. :wink:

Plenty of people here have been fingerprinted without their SSN for firearms licenses. Why did you not immediately ask for his supervisor and calmly explain the situation to him? Don't you agree that this would have been a better reaction than:
I told him that was f ing bs, in those terms
If we expect polite treatment from these people, is it too much to ask to treat them the same way? What do you expect to accomplish by cussing at somebody? I should think this would just make him more obstinate, or at least that is the reaction I would expect from most anybody.

What now, is this man's impression of the level of self control that will be exhibited by an applicant who wants to carry a gun in public?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was already having a bad day, and I think there is a difference between cussing at someone and shooting someone.

Plus, no one was there but me and him, so ya'll don't know his reaction to me before I said what I said. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
You are not required by law to give your SSN. If we allow them to "make" us give them this number who's to say that they won't "make" us do other things that are not in the law before we can get the GFL. It is that simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
carvnthetwisties said:
I was already having a bad day, and I think there is a difference between cussing at someone and shooting someone.

Plus, no one was there but me and him, so ya'll don't know his reaction to me before I said what I said. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction!
What detention center did you go to? I live in Holly Springs area but have a Canton address. I went to the center off of Univeter Rd, yes the deputy asked for mine, I didn't feel like arguing, and I was trying to get this as I was taking time off of work to get it done. I gave him mine when he asked, since I was in the military and was known by your SSN :lol: I blurtted it out to him. I did not put it on the application at the Probate and she asked for it and then I did say that I am not required to give that and that it is already on the finger print card. She did say NO I am not required but does help if there are others with the same name. Now as others brought up to me...which duh yeah they won't have the same finger prints as me so I probably shouldn't have given it out. I guess I figured maybe if I did somehow someway I might get mine quicker. :lol: I guess it don't help any...we'll see I suppose. All in all if I had to do it over again...I would have been talked with the Deputy and told him that info is not required by law...in a calm voice. Then see where he wanted to go with it after that, and I wouldn't have given to the Probate Court either. However, hindsight is always 20/20! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
SigP229 said:
So I guess if we commit a crime and leave our fingerprints but not our SS#'s the feds won't find us :lol:
Exactly, because there are thousands of people with your name and fingerprints. Only your SSN can cut through the confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Sorry I'm a latecomer to this thread.

Until recently (like since I was born), SSN cards had the words "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES - NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION" printed on them. Check yours. If you're as old as I am, it probably contains that verbiage. I don't know when it stopped, but I think it was originally included because of FDR's promise in 1930-something that SSN's, outside of the collection and distribution of SS funds, would never be used as an ID number.

So much for that.

My personal beef with having to roll over and give out your ssn, whether in whole or in part, is that the people asking for it usually have no means in place to protect it from someone who would use it fraudulently. Locking the door to the probate court suite is not good enough.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top