Questions

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mafuta54, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Tomorrow night at the Powder Springs Citizens Academy we are having a "Juvenile Court Judge" speak to us. I wanted to get some suggestions of questions to ask this judge about the system etc.

Any suggestions?

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Is this a Citizen Police Academy sponsored by the local PD?

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That's what it sounds like to me. I think you need to get your communist to teach you reading comprehension.

Mafuta,

What are the most common crimes he sees?
    -Are there any correlations with demographics we might be interested in (Age, race, gender, socio-economic status)?

What kind of sentencing does he give for
    -Robbery
    -Vandalism
    -Burglary
    and what factors mitigate the sentence. Does he prefer detention centers, community service, fining, mentoring or something else?

What is the most effective sentencing?

What is the most common reason they commit crimes? Gangs? Teenage rebellion?

When they use weapons, what do they use? Sticks, guns, bb guns, knives, cars?

4. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

YES! You got it right. :lol:

5. VolGrad

These courses can be a good way to learn about your local department. You usually have the opportunity to meet the chief, officers ranging from patrol to detectives, DAs, judges, etc. Course content can be quite interesting as well.

I also think it would help to sway a DA or jury if you were ever put in the unfortunate situation of having to shoot someone. If there were questions surrounding the event, that is. I think it would show you are a concerned citizen and not just some nut sack with a gun.

6. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

We started 9/5/2007 and run through 11/13/2007.

7. VolGrad

..........and would also be a good segway to go talk to the chief about gun related issues such as, "What would your officers do if they see me OC?" or "I had a bad experience with one of your officers. How can we work this out?" I think someone who has been through their program would be well received or at least received better than someone off the street.

8. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

:bump:

Time is running out to add your questions to this list!

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Where is this being held and are you OC'ing while you're at it?
    If not ask em why you have to be disarmed to be a good citizen. :twisted:

10. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

It is held in the Court room at the City of Powder Springs!

11. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I did not get to ask all questions due to time and others, but this is what I did learn.
    Shoplifting and burglary.
    Economic status (i.e., poor) and gang involvement.

Probation, probation, probation. Severity of the crime will bring probation sentence of between 12-24 months. Mid level crimes bring a Maximum of 60 days in the "Youth Detention Center". Extreme crimes will bring from 1-5 yrs in the "YDC".

The scariest thing to me was after the judge left, the Officer from Powder Springs that runs the Academy was talking about "CCW" and how it was a violation of the "Public Gathering" law to carry into grocery stores or anywhere else in public!! I told her that she was not correct and she claims to have a conviction on violation of the puclic gathering law for carrying into a grocery store!!

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Probation, probation, probation. Severity of the crime will bring probation sentence of between 12-24 months. Mid level crimes bring a Maximum of 60 days in the "Youth Detention Center". Extreme crimes will bring from 1-5 yrs in the "YDC".

The scariest thing to me was after the judge left, the Officer from Powder Springs that runs the Academy was talking about "CCW" and how it was a violation of the "Public Gathering" law to carry into grocery stores or anywhere else in public!! I told her that she was not correct and she claims to have a conviction on violation of the puclic gathering law for carrying into a grocery store!![/quote:mokyit7w]

:roll:

13. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I know exactly where that is (right behind the square). I know a few PSPD guys. I however didn't know they had such a group.

14. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The scariest thing to me was after the judge left, the Officer from Powder Springs that runs the Academy was talking about "CCW" and how it was a violation of the "Public Gathering" law to carry into grocery stores or anywhere else in public!! I told her that she was not correct and she claims to have a conviction on violation of the puclic gathering law for carrying into a grocery store!![/quote:2gt3g3lz]

Do you remember that female officers name?

15. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

And hear them spout their bull ****, then how great they are, and how bad we all are. Especially you evil gun toter's.

16. VolGrad

Wow. Sounds like some deep resentment.

17. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I would not call it resentment, but when they get the community together it is always a line of crap they give you. You never get the truth unless you are on the inside and see what really goes on.

Yes people your police chief and city officials will and do lie to you.

18. VolGrad

I agree with these statements. My point was that participation in such a program as Mafuta54 is doing sort of puts you on the inside (even if only a little bit) and would give him a better sense of which parts of the program are BS and which ones are not. Otherwise, I agree. I don't trust much I read in the media, etc. Officials are stuck saying such bland statements, so as not to upset anyone, that their message means nothing.

I found that the instructors/speakers in the programs in which I have participated were much more open/frank with their message. They didn't see the participants as combatants in the US vs THEM war. They figured if you took the time to participate you probably were actually G/Gs.