Questions on transporting a pistol to the range inside a WMA

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ntech, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

I plan on going to the shooting range at the Charlie Elliot Wildlife Management Area. I am trying to figure out the legal way I can transport my G22 to the range. I have a GFL.

1. Any ideas as to what is considered not readily accessible? Could I keep my holstered pistol in a zippered case in the glove compartment? Would I have to lock it the glove compartment?

2. If the gun is unloaded, but has a fully loaded magazine in the same case with the pistol, is that a problem? Should I keep the ammunition in a separate area?

Any ideas?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The last meet/shoot was there and no one got arrested to my knowledge. So, someone that went to the meet ought to be able to answer that.

3. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Technically I believe you could get in trouble with a loaded gun if you weren't on the actual range. Even if you are just going from the road to the range if you ran into the wrong DNR officer I would think you could be in trouble.

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I was carrying the entire time.

I went to Kilkenny yesterday morning and was carrying there the entire time, as well. There were a couple off-duty Bryan County SO's (and an on-duty one, for a little while), and the DNR officer was there. I was OC'ing OWB rather obviously and the only word I heard from anyone in law enforcement were questions about my AK.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But they saw you at the range OC right? That's how I'm understanding what you're saying.

6. gsusnake

Right.

The way the Richmond Hill WMA is set up is a little weird, though... it's not all one contiguous section of land, so it may be a little different from Clybel.

The DNR Range Safety Officer at Charlie Elliott didn't say a word on 6/16 to any of us, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was OCing. Of course, he was rather outgunned (any group short of the 3rd ID would have been) so that may have factored in to his decision.

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

No he said plenty. Every time someone started bump firing an semi-auto. The action is supposed to be locked back unless you are at the firing line. Thats kind of hard to do with some weapons. The only thing I have witnessed folks being talked to about were saftey violations. Also shooting before or after the range operation times is a big fine. Its a range they don't have a checkpoint at the gate to inspect your weapons.

8. gsusnake

I meant he didn't say anything about the carrying.

And I forgot to add the standard disclaimer to my above post... your mileage and experience may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Do not attempt. Professional driver, closed course. Do not operate lawn mower without protective guards in place.

9. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I don't think they can do anything about you carrying at the range but anywhere between the public road and the range there is the possibility of you getting in trouble.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1. That's what I was about to say.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It all depends on what your reason for this discussions is.

If you are asking this as a legal excersize trying to know every detail of the law that is fine and interesting.

If you are looking at this from a practical standpoint just take your gun to the range and don't worry about it. The LEOs are not even thinking about every single detail of that law at that range. You've got a GFL. If you are really worried lock it in your glove box once you enter the WMA before you get to the range.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Questions on transporting a pistol to the range inside a

Yes, you missed #5

rules for shooting ranges - http://www.georgiawildlife.com/content/ ... cument=442

Or just call and ask.

Region IV- Fort Valley- 478.825.6354
    Shooting Range: Clybel WMA
    Facilities: 100 yard and 50 yard ranges
    Directions: From Mansfield: Take GA Hwy 11 South for 2.5 miles. Turn left onto Marben Farms Road, travel 1.5 miles. Turn left at range sign.
    Range Hours: Monday- Saturday: 10:00 am- 6:00 pm SUNDAY: CLOSED

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I was once challenged by an officer but I arrested him first.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Had to keep him in my basement all weekend until I could get him to court for a hearing.

15. gsusnake

not even gonna go there

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

What? You don't have a gimp to guard your prisoners?