Questions: AR15 firing pin retaining pin

Discussion in 'How to' started by Verbal101, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I just field stripped my AR15 for the first time. All I did was remove the bolt & carrier group, and disassemble the bolt. I used this link as a guide: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/AR-15-Field-Strip-Tutorial

When I went to reassemble, I noticed that the firing pin retaining pin was bent. Not bent sideways, but the two prongs were misaligned. When I tried to reinsert the pin, it got stuck halfway. I was about to give up and go buy a new pin, but I must have manipulated it just right and it slid home.

[​IMG]

Questions:
    1) I assume the pin isn't supposed to be bent/misaligned. Is this correct?
    2) The bolt is back together fine now, but will having a bent pin inside cause any problems? Should I replace the pin as a matter of preventative maintenance?

Thanks

2. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Sorry, I should have specified - the photo is a normal one, just something I found online. I did not take a photo of mine. The two prongs on mine are pretty badly misaligned.

If I made a phot of mine, with the pin oriented exactly like this photo, my pin would not lay flat.

3. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

It's always a good idea to have spares. I keep an entire lower parts kit and 4 spring kits handy along with BCG's and bolts.
    Grab some at the next gunshow. :righton:

Straighten that one back out and tap it back in for now. :righton:

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I got tired of fiddling with those things and went back to the original design that Stoner used; a solid pin.
    [​IMG]

It costs five times as much, though :? compared to the 1.25 standard pin.

5. dasj

dasj Member

Some are like that. You just have to fiddle with it to get it back in. Should be fine. If you're that worried, get some spares.

6. nutnless220

nutnless220 Member

Where do you get those solid pins, Fallschirmjäger ?

7. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I know of guys who went through basic training using a bent paper clip instead of a firing pin retaining pin. If you can get it to fit in the hole, I think you're alright.

8. FmrPFCBob

FmrPFCBob Active Member

When we came back from the field portion of boot camp and were cleaning our rifles at the sinks outside the barracks my firing pin retaining pin disappeared. I spent about half an hour looking for it in the grass/mud/sand/water mixture down there, it was probably the worst thing I got nailed for during my training.

Since that experience I work at keeping a supply of spare parts for all my weapons.