Questions about reloading

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by triggerman357, Oct 6, 2007.

1. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

Shooting USA on the Outdoor channel did special on reloading called Sighting In. The press the host used and his method seemed very easy. What I want to know is there really a cost advantage to reloading your on ammo and how long does it take to really see any savings. I don't make it to range as much as I like, so would spending several hundred dollars in reloading supplies be worth it? Also, I would just like to know what it like to fire that first round you reloaded yourself.

2. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

I don't reload [though I'll likely start when I get the money up], but most of the people I've talked to agree that you don't really save money. You just shoot twice as much :D

3. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

It would be nice to customize my .308 ammo rather than just buying match grade from MFR.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

People who get into it solely for saving money tend to be disappointed, from what I've read. If you don't shoot any more, you can definitely recoup your equipment costs fairly quickly. You're also able to play around with different loads, bullets, etc to make ammo that your gun likes the best for cycling, accuracy, etc.

5. Claire

Claire New Member

I used to reload shotgun shells day & night back in the 80's
    powder was much cheaper & we'd go thru a good size duffle bag full every weekend. I probably saved money? - plus I'd pick up shells that others left at the range.

Now - with the cost of powder & shot
    I doubt I'd save money
    its mainly for the enjoyment

6. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

Ok, thanks for all the insight. I'm still researching equipment and methods. I quess I can forget about saving money reloading vs. factory loads. I still interested in learning to reload. I was intrigued when I visited Atlanta Arms' factory in Social Circle. If I find a good deal on some equipment, I may try reloading 7.62x39 or fo' tay cal.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Word about the 7.62x39. While it's possible to reload steel cases, it's harder on the equipment (or so I've read). There's a thread in the reloading forum on ar15.com about reloading those steel cases.

8. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I plan on getting a Dillon next year. I've been collecting brass for the last several months and will be loading 9mm, 40, 45ACP, & .223/5.56. I can't offer an opinion on savings, but from the folks that I've talked to the only caliber that is left at the break even point is the 9mm. 223/5.56 has now passed the point that it is now cost effective to reload.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I plan on starting with .223 and maybe eventually getting into 7.62x39, x54R, or .40.

10. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

FYI, I'm reloading 9mm for under $10 per 100. That's using good FMJ & JHP rounds. It'd be a lot less if I could use lead bullets with my XD.

Up front investment: about $500 for a slightly used Dillon SDB progressive press (9mm & .40) and dang near all the necessary toys, plus a bunch of non-essential tools that make it easier.

I could have started for much less, but I knw my pistol appetite would demand a lot more time on a non-progressive press (my wife and I both shoot 9mm). After weighing all the options, I decided my time was worth the extra 200-300. I can now produce rounds at a rate of about 250-300/hour.

After 10K rounds of 9mm, my investment will be paid off. If I start loading .40's, that 10K number will drop. My guess is that I'll hit 10K in about 1-1.5 years. My press will last a lifetime.

In the end, you can reload and save money. It all depends on how much you shoot, what you shoot, and what kind of bullets your gun can eat.

Since you're not a high volume shooter, you could get away with a slower, less expensive press (turret style). It'll take longer to produce ammo, but that's not a big deal if you have the time and you enjoy doing it.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Under $.10 a round? I really need to look into this.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You may end up shooting more and eliminating the "money saving" part of it. Still, cost per round is definitely a good thing to look at.

13. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Yup. That's my plan anyhow...

Right now we're still only shooting 500-700 rounds of 9mm per month. However, I'm in the process of eliminating a couple of other hobbies and reducing the amount of general house work I have to do. This is so I can free up more weekend time for IDPA and IPSC matches, plus a couple of other local "non-sanctioned" competitions. Once I get into full swing there, I eexpect we'll go through 1200+ rounds per month. My cost will stay close to the same, but my trigger time will double :D

14. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Thanks for those links.

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That's fine, too!