Questions about C&R license application

Discussion in 'How to' started by boom boom, Nov 2, 2007.

1. boom boom

boom boom Guest

My C&R license application just arrived today but I have a couple of questions for those in the know.

1) Do I need to fill out two original applications identically and then give one to the chief law enforcement officer or will a photocopy of the original application to the BATF do.

2) I bought a bound lab notebook to indicate purchases/disposition of C&R bought material. Do I also need to indicate weapons purchased at local stores without the use of the C&R license in this book as well? If so, the C&R license is much less attractive and I probably won't send it in b/c I want it to purchase a few old military rifles without the hassle of FFL transfers.

2. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

1) Dunno. I filled out both forms. One is specifically marked for the CLEO, as I recall. It probably depends on whether your CLEO even looks at the thing. I'd fill it out manually just to be sure; it only takes a couple minutes.

2) You only have to record C&R transfers. Any other firearm trades take place just like they always have.

3. boom boom

boom boom Guest

Thanks--I appreciate the quick answer

Thanks. I just don't want to screw the application up.
    :)

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yep, Theta is correct, AFAIK.

5. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

I recently bought a Swiss K31 at a local gun shop. Even though they did not accept my 03 C&R and still made me do the background check for "regular folks," I still recorded the purchase in my bound book, because I am under the impression that any C&R eligible weapon you acquire or dispose of while you hold a C&R license must be entered into your bound book.

On the other hand, I did not record my Bersa Thunder 380 or Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact in my bound book, since they are not C&R eligible weapons.

6. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Yes, the one marked CLEO gets mailed to your CLEO at the same time you mail the other copy to BATFE. You don't have to wait for any response from the CLEO, his copy is just a courtesy notification.

Just got my C&R in the mail Friday...very fast, about three weeks turnaround from application time.

7. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

I keep hearing that you send one copy to the BATF and one to the CLEO and that the CLEO copy doesn't matter at all.

That's not what the guides I read say. If the CLEO copy was just a courtesy copy for police records, then why would the copy that gets sent to the CLEO need to be signed by the CLEO? As proof that they received it? Then why would some CLEOs (Gwinnett County Police Chief) refuse to sign them?

I thought that the CLEO copy had to be signed just so that your local CLEO could confirm for the BATF that there was no legal reason in his or her jurisdiction for the applicant to be denied a license.

8. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

I used the guide on www.surplusrifle.com to walk me through my C&R process. I read this there:
    That makes it sound like the BATF will go ahead and send you a C&R license if they don't hear any reason not to from your CLEO before they're done processing your permit; however, the language on the C&R application itself makes it sound like the BATF gets a copy of the app and your CLEO gets a copy of the app, then the BATF waits for an "all clear" or a "here's why not" from your CLEO. At least, that's how it looked to me when I read the form.

It's worth noting that the C&R process may have changed since some of you got yours. The license is good for three years, and I don't know how old the guides on the internet are, but at least some of the info is out of date (you can't download the forms from the BATF website anymore).

*EDIT*

I see their website now reflects that you can't download the forms anymore. But if the rest of their guide is right and the CLEO's copy doesn't matter, then what was the point of my local CLEO's refusal to sign if it wouldn't have affected the outcome of my permit at all?

9. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'm not aware that the CLEO has to sign it. The instructions on the back of the form (IIRC) state that the application can be submitted at the same time the CLEO copy is mailed.

I do believe if the CLEO has any objections, he's supposed to bring them up to ATF before they issue the license.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Did they give you a reason for not accepting it? I think you did right by entering it into the bound book anyway (Although I'm not for certain either way). Better to be safe than sorry.

11. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

I bought the K31 at Bulls Eye about forty five minutes before closing time. The guys behind the counter called the owner at home to ask about C&R transfers. I was not in on the phone conversation, so I don't know why they chose to ignore my FFL.

In any case, they were friendly about it. I shop and shoot there regularly, and this incident isn't going to change that. It's a hassle, but I still plan to support my local gun shop.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

At least your GFL exempts you from the NICS check.

I like your sig line, by the way. :D

13. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

ptsmith, I did not have a GFL at the time I made the purchase (still waiting for it in the mail, actually). I had to do the NICS check anyway.

14. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Side question: Are pre-50s 1911's C&R's? Also M14's?

15. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

The 1911s you're talking about would be more than 50 years old, so probably. But they'd be pretty expensive.

As for M14s and other automatic or select-fire weapons, they can be classified as C&R weapons, but if you want to buy one, you've still got to do the $200 transfer tax stamp just like you would with any other automatic weapon.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, ok. I was just going off of your sig line.

17. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

Hehe. My sig line is me counting my chickens before they've hatched. The wait for my C&R application followed by the wait for the actual permit was easy. The wait for my GFL is killing me, and it's only been two weeks...

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, from what I've heard about people's experiences, C&R turnaround times are rather quick.

19. spiroxlii

spiroxlii New Member

I own 11 (soon to be 12) firearms, so I've passed the NICS check many many times. I also have an 03 FFL, so clearly I had my background checked there too.

What is it that makes a GFL take so long? What do they check that isn't covered by a NICS check at a gun shop or by the BATFE during the C&R app process?

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

Does that answer your question(s)?