Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question pertaining to getting a license in Georgia or Texas
Hello all,
I am in the Air Force and will soon be stationed in Georgia at Moody AFB near Ray City. And my question is would it be better for me to apply in Texas (as that is my legal residence state) or to apply in Georgia as that is where I will be living for at least 4 years. I know that each state honors the others however Texas has a few more states that honors there’s. But the down side would be that I would have to drive over there on leave and take the training. Also if I did just get mine in Texas would I still be able to buy firearms in Georgia without applying for a temporary permit each time? Now I have done some reading around in the laws that are stated on this page and it was leading me to believe that an active duty member of the military didn’t need the state license anyway. Is there any truth in that? Any help in getting to the bottom of these few questions would be greatly appreciated.
-JD

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
If you're in the armed forces you don't need a permit. You've got all the same exemptions as a police officer. Getting a GWL in GA is much easier than in TX, though.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
JD83 said:
And my question is would it be better for me to apply in Texas (as that is my legal residence state) or to apply in Georgia as that is where I will be living for at least 4 years.
Personally, I'd get both of them. Get the GWL while you can here in GA. It's cheaper and easier to obtain. Once you settle in, in Texas, I'd jump through their hoops and obtain that one as well. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
A Georgia license will give you no benefit over your ID card alone, which will allow you to carry anyplace a police officer can carry. The only benefit is that a GA permit will grant reciprocity with other states that do not honor the military exemption. Texas will also have reciprocal states that honor it's permit. Georgia's license is much easier to get. You might just look at which state grants the best reciprocity.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
CountryGun said:
A Georgia license will give you no benefit over your ID card alone
Are you sure?

How about bypassing the background check when purchasing a firearm?

What about exempting you from the federal gun-free school zone law?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
CountryGun said:
Are you sure? Yes

How about bypassing the background check when purchasing a firearm? Most frequently, Yes

What about exempting you from the federal gun-free school zone law? Yes
This is a commerce law that does not effect possession.
I'm honestly not sure whether it's applicable in Georgia. It's only used in a handful of states.[/color]

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
CountryGun said:
GAGunOwner said:
CountryGun said:
Are you sure? Yes

How about bypassing the background check when purchasing a firearm? Most frequently, Yes

What about exempting you from the federal gun-free school zone law? Yes
This is a commerce law that does not effect possession.
I'm honestly not sure whether it's applicable in Georgia. It's only used in a handful of states.[/color]
If you are caught in the federal GFSZ and you don't have a permit from the state that the school is located in, you are in violation of federal law.

Since the firearm you purchased and carry most assuredly moved in interstate commerce (certainly as interpreted), you can be busted.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
If you are caught in the federal GFSZ and you don't have a permit from the state that the school is located in, you are in violation of federal law. Nonsense. A person without a GFL may drive through this mysterious zone every day. They are not in violation. I do not believe Georgia ever adopted such a law. Can you cite it? Very few states have adopted this "federal law".

Since the firearm you purchased and carry most assuredly moved in interstate commerce (certainly as interpreted), you can be busted. That would make just about every owner of anything other than a Glock illegal. Ridiculous premise, and not based on any Georgia law.
If you really believe this crap, it's probably worthy of another thread as we're moving off topic.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
CountryGun said:
GAGunOwner said:
If you are caught in the federal GFSZ and you don't have a permit from the state that the school is located in, you are in violation of federal law. Nonsense. A person without a GFL may drive through this mysterious zone every day. They are not in violation. I do not believe Georgia ever adopted such a law. Can you cite it? Very few states have adopted this "federal law".

Since the firearm you purchased and carry most assuredly moved in interstate commerce (certainly as interpreted), you can be busted. That would make just about every owner of anything other than a Glock illegal. Ridiculous premise, and not based on any Georgia law.
If you really believe this crap, it's probably worthy of another thread as we're moving off topic.
Yes, I believe it. State gun-free zones and federal gun-free zones are two different animals. I am not basing this on GA law, I'm basing this on federal law.

·
Registered
944 Posts
JD83 said:
Also if I did just get mine in Texas would I still be able to buy firearms in Georgia without applying for a temporary permit each time? -JD
Military can buy firearms in Georgia with their Military ID and a copy of your orders assigning you to a location in Georgia, however you would have to go through the background check, the Texas permit would not exempt you from that. That is one benefit of getting the Georgia Weapons License. However like you said the Texas permit is good in a few extra states, so as one poster said, why not just get both.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Very few states have adopted this "federal law"
I didn't know federal law was optional. :screwy:

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
jgullock said:
State law provides that a citizen, who is otherwise eligible for a GWL but doesn't have one, may drive through a school zone with a loaded firearm in the car. Tell me, which law trumps.

Georgia has not yet incorporated the GFSZA of 1995. If it has, show me where, and tell me why it did not impact SB-308. Very few states have allowed the GFSZA to impact their Constitution. Some states, and I believe California included, have written verbiage in opposition to the federal law.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Being a Texas resident, I would get the Texas CHL and have more reciprocal states. You don't have to get a "temporary permit" each time you purchase a firearm; you just have to pay for the NICS check. Besides the Texas CHL is a lot nicer license.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
smn said:
New2Atlanta said:
Texas is a pain (the training) and expensive compared to GA.
Which is why I think the SAF will sue in one state or another and overturn onerous licensing requirements to enjoy our fundamental civil rights.

Edited to add: Please read this post: http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2010/10/m ... g-but.html
That link was one of the eloquent letters I've ever read about why our fight for Constitutional Carry is so important. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
CountryGun said:
jgullock said:
State law provides that a citizen, who is otherwise eligible for a GWL but doesn't have one, may drive through a school zone with a loaded firearm in the car. Tell me, which law trumps.

Georgia has not yet incorporated the GFSZA of 1995. If it has, show me where, and tell me why it did not impact SB-308. Very few states have allowed the GFSZA to impact their Constitution. Some states, and I believe California included, have written verbiage in opposition to the federal law.
Um, the FEDERAL LAW that allows states to have an exemption for licenced individuals? 18 USC 922 (q)(2)(B)(ii)

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
jgullock said:
Um, the FEDERAL LAW that allows states to have an exemption for licenced individuals? 18 USC 922 (q)(2)(B)(ii)
Just when I thought I had an answer! I had read that before. You've still not explained how a citizen without a license, but otherwise eligible to have one, may drive through a school zone with a loaded firearm in the car.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
CountryGun said:
jgullock said:
Just when I thought I had an answer! I had read that before. You've still not explained how a citizen without a license, but otherwise eligible to have one, may drive through a school zone with a loaded firearm in the car.
I think your question answers itself. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts