question for the computer guys

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by atlsrt44, Sep 22, 2010.

1. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

It depends on what you plan on doing for school work, but if it is standard researching, word processing, etc. you should be fine. You may want to consider an external keyboard/mouse and monitor (14" can get a little old after a while). I would invest my money there vs. any extended warranty - this is disposable technology and, by the time it breaks, it would be time to upgrade anyway.

3. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

I like Lenovo stuff unless you are doing anything that requires color accuracy. Their screens suck for that, but aside from that nothing jumps out at me as particularly poor about that laptop for the price point.

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Looks alright to me, especially at that price.

(yes, I know, I asked for opinions on this very subject a month ago, but that was more to validate my preexisting ideas...)

5. gsusnake

No way. It's awful.

Spend $3500 on a Mac or a pack of ninjas will start murdering kittens.

6. RevolverDan

I still say, as I did in your thread, that the best PC value around is the 27" refurb iMac for $1250. But he didn't ask for recommendations. Just if this was a decent laptop or not.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I'd stay away from any computer that has a shitteron...uhm, celeron processor in it.

8. RevolverDan

Good thing that one has a dual core Athlon. :)

9. mpc

mpc New Member

+0.999: While I don't disagree (though it won't be that much), if you do decide to go with Windows, stay away from Windows 7. It's gawd awful.

10. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

11. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

I loved windows xp myself and wished it had never changed. I used vista for a while, I hated it. I use windows 7 now and it is much better than vista, but still not xp.

12. AEKDB

AEKDB New Member

What is your major? If you think you will be using Excel or another program where you are entering a lot of numbers I strongly suggest a laptop with a built in number pad. I refuse to buy a laptop without one!

13. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Toshibas are really nice and affordable. Go the Athlon route, something with a good onboad graphics card, 4 gigs of memory and a large Hd to boot. Will pay less than $700 and it even has a 10 key ;)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6337448&CatId=4938 This is the Athlon

This is the I3 intel

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6314153&CatId=4938

17.3 inch screen big HD's, a 10 key, 512-1 gig allocated on board memory, 4 gigs of memory, for the price you wont compete..

14. gsusnake

:?:

I love Windows 7. I didn't think I would but now I'm used to it, and it's fantastic.

and that about a Mac was sarcasm. It always seems like any time somebody's looking for a computer, the Mac fanboys have to come in and suggest something that costs 3 times as much as the stated desired price range...

15. gsusnake

I like number pads too, especially for data entry, but why does it have to be built-in? Having never bought one with a built-in 10-key, I'm not familiar with the extra expense (if there is any) but why not just buy a $15 USB add-on?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... C0Q8wIwAQ#

16. gsusnake

I picked up a Phenom II X6 with 8GB of RAM and a Radeon 5670 for less than $1000. I'm pretty happy.

Now for DDR3 to drop just a little more, and I'll take those 2GB sticks out and replace them with 4s, and watch this sucker FLY...

17. AEKDB

AEKDB New Member

I do not like the USB ones as they move around, take up valuable space on my desk/table, I can not use them on a flight, they are one more thing I have to carry and keep up with, they break, I loose the cords, they suck, and they put my wrist at a bad angle. Built in number pad is simply the one must have in my opinion.

18. RevolverDan

I agree on Windows7. I loaded it in Beta and when it was released I bought 4 licenses. I've been highly impressed with it's resource management and built in driver support. Takes a few mins to get used to a few new features if you've been using XP since 2001.

As for Mac's, I still think they area the best value.....but if someone doesn't have the cash to throw down on one then it's useless to recommend them. Most of their value for me is in not having to screw with the OS the same way I have to with Windows once it's been loaded on the machine for a year. OSX doesn't get bogged down with all the BS that Windows machine do. That is just may personal experience, but I think you will find it resonates with a lot of converts. Last thing you want is to buy a laptop that you expect to last 2-3 years for school, and find the next time you have a term paper due in hours that Windows it hosed and is going to take hours of work to get it fixed. It's been my experience that those sort of issues rarely happen with OSX, but happen quite frequently with Windows. I think the Apple hardware looks cool, but my recommendations are normally more based on the software.....not the hardware (which I will agree is typically overpriced, with the exception of the a fore mentioned iMac :) ).

Also, I hate USB number pads. If you have to do data entry, then I agree with whoever said get one built in. (That usually means going up to a giant 17" cinder-block of a laptop.)

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Better get used to Windows 7. Found out from our vendors that new computers loaded with an XP downgrade will be completely phased out by the end of the year.

20. skydog576

skydog576 New Member

The memory on this particular laptop is already maxed out at 4gb. Windows 64 bit supports more memory, so I find that kinda strange. I don't know about Windows 7, but Vista couldn't get off the ground without at least 3gb of memory. Windows gets more and more memory hungry, the newer they get. That part would make me scared, not to mention the 14" screen. I think you can do better if you look around some more.